Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • P Offline
      Poohbear85
      last edited by

      So50:
      Snow24:

      Hi


      Anyone can share methods on how to teach child about rules and boundaries eg stay in the classroom not wander off, comply with rules.

      Hi Everyone, merry Xmas.

      Hi Snow24, how old is your child ? I cannot really comment much as i am quite new to all this. But from my observation in my boy's school, the teacher who is the handling the child has to keep repeating the step, sorta of like drilling the habit into their brain. When they keep wondering off, the teacher will usually allow him to wonder off. After a while, they will invite him back..this will repeat over sometime and then he will follow suit. The key is you have to \"demo\" an action to que/signal him For a response..(something i learnt from my ST)

      On another occasion, when my boy just joined his playgroup, he is not allowed to leave the class until he wear his own shoe. I was like :scratchhead: as i myself still need my grandpa to wear my shoes until i am in kindergarten... Haha...
      Anyway, the teacher was very firm on this and my boy cried and throw temper while he sees the rest of his class leaving. In the end, he LL. wore his shoes on his own... I was pretty amazed as i was hiding at one corner peeping at him. I guess u cant let him \"win\". You have to stand firm on the grounds when there is a need to. Once he knows u allow some leeway, he will bargain and try to be funny.

      My boy does not like to sit in car seat. Always throw temper and wanna get out of the car seat while i am driving. So there is once when he is having a meltdown in car, i actually stop the car and ask him and my helper to get out of the car. I pretend to be angry and drove my car away. After i drove back, he just guai guai sit in the car seat...some weeks later, he starts his nonsense again... This time round, i never chase him out of car. I actually drove back into my carpark and told him we are not gg out cos he is not sitting in car seat. I did this 3x..driving in and out. And he got the message after that... No car seat = no gg out...

      I do not have a cane at home. But once in a while, i go crazy just to set my rules in place. And he will follow through and knows his boundaries. My grandma use a cane on him when he did something wrong. (I dun like and dun encourage though). From the school's Side, they also told me not to reason with him when he did something wrong as they are too young to understand. A cause and effect drilling is better. Fyi, my boy is turning 3 next week. So a simple instruction \"i want you to stop Xxx\" repeatedly is more effective than a long nagging...

      So50, yr boy's childcare teacher is good at enforcing rules,which is good. There are a few times when my hb or i went to pick up my boy,he was lying on the floor while the other kids were walking abt playing. Feel so bad when i see that and cant help feeling irritated with the teachers for leaving my boy to be. My boy jus loves to lie on the floor dunno y..hai. Is esp difficult when we have to take public transport to/fro punggol-bishan everyday for his sch. Ot said this cant be corrected until he understand y cannot lie on the floor.

      Now trying to teach my boy to point and gesture his wants (homework from ot)..sometimes he jus refused to and will resort to grabbing or tantrums. Speaking of spanking,we cannot do it cos he will copy and hit us or others. So have to be super patient w him!

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • S Offline
        So50
        last edited by

        Hi Poohbear,

        It took a few months before my son starts to sit down. Initially, he kept wondering in the garden outside the classroom. And the teacher just let him be.

        And yes, i have homework from OT as well… For the pointing, we usually put one item he likes among a few other items. For example, he likes to eat pau. We could have pau, apple, bottle on the table out of reach to him. And when he is desperate for pau, i will tease him and point to the apple or bottle instead. This will actually agitate him and my helper will demo the "pointing to pau" to him… Slowly, we also incorporate "help" into this routine…
        Yes, got to be very patient.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • P Offline
          pinkamoon
          last edited by

          Hi everyone! Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!


          Hi Pooh bear and So50! It is nice to see patient parents like both of you. I remember when my son was young, I was not so patient and ended up spanking him a lot. I was in denial too and was not able to be open about his conditions. Everything became better until I started son rise programme on him. I was able to be open about his conditions.

          For my son, everything was cute when he was young. As he grew older, his actions like circling and stimming got worse and worse.
          It became difficult to explain to others about his behaviour so I totally did not bring him out for parties or gatherings. The only interaction he has is with us, his family members.

          My son will be in P2 next year and I do hope he has a good Chinese Language teacher like the one he has for this year. :xedfingers:

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • C Offline
            chibi
            last edited by

            hiya all:)

            :oops:
            it has been a long time since I posted here.
            my eldest daughter is going into P5 just few days later:)
            she has high functioning autism.
            and I am so happy to say that she actually got the model pupil award in her class this year and also best progress award in her class year end. she is in mainstream Primary school, and has a lot of support from her teachers and classmates, as well as allied educator in her school.
            She even went for her overnight pri 4 camping trip few months back at sentosa .
            I was quite worried about her, cant eat and sleep without her at home.. haha but she actually made it through and had a very good time. her teacher took pics of her with her friends and send it back to me via watsapp. the only complaint she has, the bathroom near the beach for bathing is so cold!!!!! hahaha.
            my DD still has her struggles though, have to manage it together with her as she grows up.
            she is going into puberty now. just had her first menses 3 months back, she was very cool about it tho. she had the first period in school and she actually beared it till she reached home, lol she told me she went toilet and stuff tissue paper into her undies . luckily we prepped her about it way beforehand. :censored:
            DD is showing empathy too from what me and her teachers see in her behaviour.
            her teacher wrote in her report book that
            she continues to overcome her personal hurdles with determination, courage and a pinch of caution.
            I was very happy with the sentence in her report book that wrote that \"she is the epitome of hard work, resilience and perseverance in class. She is an inspiration for the rest of the class to always strive for the better. \" was nearly crying when I saw that.
            I was very proud when I see her on stage receiving her award for the best progress award. I clapped the loudest. hahaha. I feel that she has gone a long way from her kindy days till now.
            let us all continue to perserve for our kids 🙂

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • C Offline
              Couragemom
              last edited by

              Hi Chibi,


              Thanks for sharing! I am so happy to read about your daughter’s success in school and salute you for the background work that you have done with her all these years (only a special needs parent will understand the pain and tears behind the success).

              Hi ImMeeMee,

              I totally agree with your statement about normalizing after the initial struggle. I feel more at peace 2 years into this journey and manage my expectation better now.


              Hi

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • I Offline
                ImMeeMee
                last edited by

                chibi:
                hiya all:)

                :oops:
                it has been a long time since I posted here.
                my eldest daughter is going into P5 just few days later:)
                she has high functioning autism.
                and I am so happy to say that she actually got the model pupil award in her class this year and also best progress award in her class year end. she is in mainstream Primary school, and has a lot of support from her teachers and classmates, as well as allied educator in her school.
                She even went for her overnight pri 4 camping trip few months back at sentosa .
                I was quite worried about her, cant eat and sleep without her at home.. haha but she actually made it through and had a very good time. her teacher took pics of her with her friends and send it back to me via watsapp. the only complaint she has, the bathroom near the beach for bathing is so cold!!!!! hahaha.
                my DD still has her struggles though, have to manage it together with her as she grows up.
                she is going into puberty now. just had her first menses 3 months back, she was very cool about it tho. she had the first period in school and she actually beared it till she reached home, lol she told me she went toilet and stuff tissue paper into her undies . luckily we prepped her about it way beforehand. :censored:
                DD is showing empathy too from what me and her teachers see in her behaviour.
                her teacher wrote in her report book that
                she continues to overcome her personal hurdles with determination, courage and a pinch of caution.
                I was very happy with the sentence in her report book that wrote that \"she is the epitome of hard work, resilience and perseverance in class. She is an inspiration for the rest of the class to always strive for the better. \" was nearly crying when I saw that.
                I was very proud when I see her on stage receiving her award for the best progress award. I clapped the loudest. hahaha. I feel that she has gone a long way from her kindy days till now.
                let us all continue to perserve for our kids 🙂
                chibi

                Thanks for sharing. Its inspiring for me to hear this, both for what I can look forward to when my daughter is older, and for what I can stay positive about when she eventually grows into puberty.

                Your child has gone a long way. Congratulations on her achievements, both academic and otherwise. It is great to have a supportive school and supportive teachers.

                May we all continue to achieve small successes for this year and beyond! :celebrate:

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • I Offline
                  ImMeeMee
                  last edited by

                  Read this.


                  http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/the ... n=addtoany

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • S Offline
                    Snow24
                    last edited by

                    Hi


                    My son childcare teacher is not firm with him on rules. He will use inappropriate words when angry ,throw things when refused to co-operate with the teacher. Leave seat without permission , create noise etc How to get him to understand and not to do such things in class? His teachers are raising concern about his behaviours.We have already reinforce with him at home.When he is in class he will continue with the inappropriate behaviour. Occupation therapist said he might need to defer 1 year for P1 as he is not ready for school but was uncertain when he will know how to behave.

                    Does anyone defer child P1 for behaviour only?

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • P Offline
                      pinkamoon
                      last edited by

                      chibi:
                      hiya all:)

                      I was very happy with the sentence in her report book that wrote that \"she is the epitome of hard work, resilience and perseverance in class. She is an inspiration for the rest of the class to always strive for the better. \" was nearly crying when I saw that.
                      I was very proud when I see her on stage receiving her award for the best progress award. I clapped the loudest. hahaha. I feel that she has gone a long way from her kindy days till now.
                      let us all continue to perserve for our kids 🙂
                      Hi Chibi!

                      Your girl is our children's model too. Congratulations and let me rub your post for some good luck too. 😄

                      Hi Snow24! I did defer my son for a year because I thought he was not ready for school, both in terms of behaviour and speech. I knew he had difficulties fitting into a class because the kiddy principal requested for someone to shadow him even at K2. So, the natural thing for me to do was to defer him for a year.

                      During the year of deferment, I worked with him a lot at home, so if you are thinking of deferment, do take some time to plan of his timetable for the day to benefit him. To me, I see deferment as buying time for my child. I used the extra year to hone his communication skills and I personally do not see it as a stigma. Sending him to school and getting lots of headaches from teachers maybe worse than deferment.

                      Anyway, this is just my personal opinion, and every child is different. You would have to assess the situation yourself.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • C Offline
                        chibi
                        last edited by

                        hello all:)

                        my girl still has her struggles and fears though ( she has sensory issues since young.we can't eat in hawker center and food courts when she was a kid as she will be so scared of the smells from there, luckily she is so much better now) but we are overcoming each hurdle together .. hehe
                        guess this is the only way I can give her support.
                        she just started her first tuition yesterday evening!.. hahaha
                        she told me after her tuition, the tutor explained the problem sums so clearly, I can understand it much better than when you are explaining to me :stupid: I knocking my head when she told me that. lol.
                        I feel that as they grow older, they will get much better.
                        I feel it from my girl. she can tell jokes now and even laughs at herself when she encounters funny situations.
                        I was telling her that day that she is putting on abit of her weight, her belly looks so round. then she told me this\" round is also a shape , I look quite cute being round. : 😓

                        we went universal studio during the December holiday with her 2 younger siblings.
                        she took the transformer ride and Jurassic park ride.
                        she was actually laughing and screaming during the ride.
                        she wanted to go up battle galactica ride but I told her, no!!!! ur mummy dun even dare to take.. next time when I braver then we wil take it together..hehe

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 727
                        • 728
                        • 729
                        • 730
                        • 731
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 729 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy