All About Autism
-
thanks Mashy, written alot now.
Nugget, i cant focus in work & study. cant find best solution for my situation. im only sole income for my family now..
I jus went to one therapist for diagnose my son.
She say:-
1.\tMy son no social interaction,
2.\tDid not look at her much, only when she blow bubble or tickle him.
3.\tSmile at him no smile back. (My son is always smiling)
4.\tNo bring toys to me when play
5.\tEye contact is good with me & my husband but not her.
6.\tCall his name no response, only when say “ his name & Look” then he turn his head.
7.\tMy son has pretend play ( this will lead to imaginary play later).
8.\tMy son now start to babble
9.\tIQ is more then average. (using NUS test)
10.\tmy son no obsession of any toys or did not lay up toys in line very much.
11.\tmy son is able to point to item that he is interested.
12.\tMy son is able to request things that he wants in sentences.
13.\tknow how to say”stop “if he don’t like.
14.\tKnow how to get my help to open when needed , and say “open”
15.\tBring inflated balloon to me and say “blow”
16.\tKnow how to self feed, wear shoe, put shoe back to rack & put dirty clothes to laundry net.
base on item 1-6 he is already austism.
:? -
I’m not tough, it’s just that circumstances has made me to go this far. If I have a choice, I rather be just a normal person. To be fair, I believe all mummies with special kids have their fair share of woes and stress to cope daily. Let’s all JiaYou for the sake of our kids.
Hi Helplessmum,
How much did you pay for the psychologist? Our kids are so young, they can test IQ already? Are you also present when the psychologist is testing your son?
Things will turn up better for you financially once your hubby has found a job. You are in a much better and fortunate position since your son IQ is above average. It’s much more easier to start off with. -
So long as display 6 out of 12 symptoms, it's considered that it meets the criteria for autism. So no need everything. All autistic kids are different becoz they all have different symptoms that meet the criteria.
I think perhaps because you have only one kid so there is no basis for comparison and how a normal kid should behave. After having my second kid, I noticed that huge difference. What I took for granted that it's normal wasn't actually normal. My no 2 will show me her work proudly, bring me around to show me things, point out stuff and we could have a decent conversation from the time she was 18 mths. She understood what it is to have a conversation ie, I ask a question, she answers, then she say something. U know, taking turns in talking and in relation to the topic. My no 1 is delayed in this development. Till now, when I call him or talk to him, I'm like talking to a wall sometimes.
So be open about it. Just continue taking notes and be happy when he makes a new progress.
-
lavendery:
I'm not tough, it's just that circumstances has made me to go this far. If I have a choice, I rather be just a normal person. To be fair, I believe all mummies with special kids have their fair share of woes and stress to cope daily. Let's all JiaYou for the sake of our kids.
Hi Helplessmum,
How much did you pay for the psychologist? Our kids are so young, they can test IQ already? Are you also present when the psychologist is testing your son?
Things will turn up better for you financially once your hubby has found a job. You are in a much better and fortunate position since your son IQ is above average. It's much more easier to start off with.
this one i pay S$500.. Yes there is IQ test for 2.5yo.. two kind of models. they use NUS model, and time him when asking him to do a task, im at present but we cant help him. jus let him do himself..
actualy my son b4 2yrs already done and IQ test at NUS.. he is above average..
now jus for austism they use diff model, but similar.
did you daughter do the iq test w leadfrog, does their therapy help? -
mashy:
So long as display 6 out of 12 symptoms, it's considered that it meets the criteria for autism. So no need everything. All autistic kids are different becoz they all have different symptoms that meet the criteria.
I think perhaps because you have only one kid so there is no basis for comparison and how a normal kid should behave. After having my second kid, I noticed that huge difference. What I took for granted that it's normal wasn't actually normal. My no 2 will show me her work proudly, bring me around to show me things, point out stuff and we could have a decent conversation from the time she was 18 mths. She understood what it is to have a conversation ie, I ask a question, she answers, then she say something. U know, taking turns in talking and in relation to the topic. My no 1 is delayed in this development. Till now, when I call him or talk to him, I'm like talking to a wall sometimes.
So be open about it. Just continue taking notes and be happy when he makes a new progress.
what is 6 out of 12,? wat are the 12s?
is Response & social interaction are the worst of Autism? -
nugget:
I shared the same feeling. Frustrated and alone...Since my kid is diagnosed, I found myself withdrawing from friends and concerned relatives, as I'm just tired of explaining to people what is wrong with my son, and also I don't like to see people giving me that 'Oh.. you are so pitiful' look... so my life is practically just work and searching for solutions to help my kid to grow up independently and also integrate into this world that is dominated by neurotypicals... just hope I can have the strength to carry on and not burnt out soon.Sigh its really not an easy journey and sometimes I feel we are so alone.
Not knowing if every choice we made for our kid is right or not. Not gaining support and understanding from our love ones, some of us are even getting blame for our kids situation. Experts and therapists giving their opinions which you feel its untrue and unfair due to the short time they spent with your child.
Argh... Really frustrating sometimes. On top of this, we still need to juggle with work, additional expenses, our other kids' needs and household chores!! No wonder if I am getting more white hair!
Sometime I wish, if there is a place where all the ASD can lived as a community, without the need to interact with the neurotypical world, I would want to run away and stay there with my kid. -
-
Same here. I also find myself withdrawing from my friends especially those who have kids. It hurts me very much when I see them post things up in Facebook concerning their kids. Their kids can do this, do that etc
Hi Helplessmum,
During the assessment with Leapfrog, Michelle tested my girl on her words recognition, counting, communication, motor skill, pretend play etc. I do not think its IQ test cos there’s no psychologist there. It’s not a formal assessment.
My girl did improve with speech therapy. Sad to say, i am too busy with my work and my part time studies presently. Hence I barely have time to practice with her. Her improvement is hence slow presently. -
I didn’t withdraw from my friends. Haha, maybe coz we aren’t social creatures ourselves. Only meet up with friends once or twice a year. We go out during weekends. Didn’t really occur to us not to. We bring him everywhere. Go hols, go shopping, outings etc. I must say we are a closely knitted family coz we do everything together. During the weekends, my hb will bathe with him too.
I don’t bother explaining to outsiders. Just said he’s like that lah, he’s just shy or he’s quiet etc. frankly they also can’t tell. -
Lavendry
Hehe, when pp post in their Facebook that their kids can do this and that, I will go, really? Mine can't do that, but he can do this!!!! Can yours do this?
I think all kids have their own strengths and weaknesses. Just happened ours arent in the social section. I brag a lot about my boy in Facebook.
maybe it's also a compensation for what he is lacking. My boy may not be witty and doesn't finish 20 books in a day but hey, that doesn't mean he is not smart. The 20 books reader just reads a 10pg book each, my boy reads a 200 page book which he cannot finish in a day because the book is written for adults and it's 4x the size of a kiddy book.
We have to be positive. Many of our kids are very detailed and remember things easily. I just thank God he isn't memorizing the telephone numbers in a phone book. I think they will be better. Milestones aren't important even if they are delayed. Does it matter when they are in their 20s that they spoke at 2 yrs old or they spoke at 8? Does it matter that they didn't make a whole load of friends? How many can we count as true friends now? When you look at the big picture and in many years to come, this is truly insignificant.
What I want my kids to remember regardless of whether they have autism or not is that we truly and wholeheartedly love them unconditionally.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login