Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • H Offline
      helplessmum3
      last edited by

      Leapfrog DVD include reading material too ?

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • DesertWindD Offline
        DesertWind
        last edited by

        helplessmum3:
        base on item 1-6 he is already austism. :?

        Hi helplessmum3,
        I can only say that if you don't believe in it, then DON'T!
        Why should you believe 100% what others say if you as a mummy don't agree?
        Especially if it leads you to despair and depression, oh please don't believe in it then if it helps you to stay cool.
        Seriously I think your boy is really bright! (Or at least much brighter than mine it seems and i am not even at the depressed state).

        Having said that, please DO something to help your boy (which you are already now doing). I believe if we neglect our kids, even neurotypical kids will not thrive well. But if we spend time take care, love and cultivate our \"non-typical\" kids, they can even give us a lot less problems than other type of kids!

        For eg. my boy has a really sweet temper. Even his teacher said he does not have a mean bone in him. In the playground when another presumably \"typical\" kids will say \"Hey! That's MINE!\" does not allow my boy to play with it, he will give in and walk away cool as a cucumber! I was so proud of my boy because he walked away when I told him to. Whereas this little girl's father was horrified by his girl's outburst and told her \"No, no, share and take turns, you have played so now let the boy play!\".

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          mashy
          last edited by

          Desert wind

          Mine hates colouring too! Cannot draw for nuts. Till now still drawing stickmen with no features. Whenever the teacher tells him to colour, he will drag and drag. He's only keen on drawing planets, human body organs and machinery.

          Helplessmum
          Actually some non autistic kids line things up and spin stuff too. But they stopped after a short while. No obsession with it I guess. If all who spin and line things up are autistic, then many boys are. Lol.

          Why did u decide to send him for assessment? Surely there's something bothering you. If it didn't bother u a bit or makes you suspect somethg, you wouldn't have. Since my kid was 8-9 mths, I already thought something was going on. He lined things up everywhere and spins toys all the time. He wasn't interested in playing toys as he was spinning container covers, trays and plates. Everyone told me he is fine. I am the one who felt something wasn't right. Hehe. But now I think he's progressing well and starting to feel almost like a normal kid already. Kind of funny that I got the assessment only after he had gotten rid of most of the autistic habits.

          As for th 'experts', I've been pretty lucky. Guess also due to the late assessment. No OT or ST said anything other than focusing on improving his weaknesses, be it fine more skills, stuttering or articulation. No one sugg he goes to special needs school. Maybe that is the good thing about being in the rehab section rather than child dev. Rehab just wants to improve skills and help them get better. 🙂

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • DesertWindD Offline
            DesertWind
            last edited by

            helplessmum3:
            read more on this.. never give up!

            http://www.templegrandin.com/
            Perhaps I am an ostrich but I do not want to watch templegrandin because I think I will be super-stressed by her excellent mother. My hubby has been pushing me to watch but i told him please spare me for the time-being. :sick:

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • M Offline
              mashy
              last edited by

              Desert wind

              Same! My boy also has the same sweet temper as yours. 🙂

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • M Offline
                mashy
                last edited by

                Helplessmum

                No, leapfrog DVD is just DVD. Their reading materials are Tag readers etc. I didn’t get any of those. U can just buy other simple story books to start off.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • DesertWindD Offline
                  DesertWind
                  last edited by

                  Right now I need to learn how to deal with mainstream teachers who freaked out when the \"label\" is told. Almost overnight, turn helpless and clueless dunnoo how to deal with my boy anymore. Like my boy suddenly became an \"alien\". Brought therapist to meet teacher and terminology used like \"my mainstream kids\" and \"your SP kids\" :gloomy: .


                  Coincidentally, I am now reading this book about \"Inclusive Programme in elementary school for ASD kids\". An award winning book by an overseas writer. In the first couple of chapters introduction, author actually underlined her point that mainstream teachers must take ownership of the special kids in her class and must also include their headcount in the class numbers! So it is not so uncommon the problems I am encountering now after all. I need to face all these right now in kindy so that I can be prepared for P1.

                  So when the P asked that perhaps this kindy may not be the right place for my boy given the \"label\" diagnosis? I felt so upset for 2 days and after that dug my heels in and said \"NO WAY\". My boy is staying put since he has already settled in and his routine is like clockwork now. Most importantly, he LOVES going to this kindy and the last thing I want to do is to upset him. Very tough, this one, to try to protect my boy from the prejudice. True, circle times he does not join in since he cannot talk. Sometimes self-echolalic. But does it warrant him being kicked out of mainstream?

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    mashy
                    last edited by

                    Desertwind

                    May not be that bad in pri sch. I find so far my boy’s pri sch experience has been pretty ok. Kindy teachers aren’t as trained and they don’t have the support.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • DesertWindD Offline
                      DesertWind
                      last edited by

                      mashy:
                      Desertwind

                      May not be that bad in pri sch. I find so far my boy's pri sch experience has been pretty ok. Kindy teachers aren't as trained and they don't have the support.
                      Thanks, am encouraged by the sharing here and in the other thread about the P1 structured environment. At this point in time I have no intention of sending my boy for IQ test, test for P1 readiness, deferment etc (all these special needs talk). As far as my plan goes, my boy is going through kindy, then to mainstream P1. Try first. If cannot then talk later. But cannot give up at this stage.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • C Offline
                        chibi
                        last edited by

                        Hi Desertwind,

                        I 2nd what mashy says too.
                        my daughter wasn't too happy during her kindy years too, wil whine and cry on the way to school. the happy times in kindy years i think was when she was queing up to go home. :stupid:
                        but she is completely different in primary school. always asking when can she see her friends again, keep smiling and laughing on the way to school.
                        she even wants to sleep earlier at night so that she can wake up earlier to go school 😉
                        as long as the primary school form teacher is supportive and with the help of a supportive allied educator, it will be a smooth transition.
                        i suspect too that as primary school is very structured, and ASD kids will strive in structured environment, maybe this is one of the reason why they seem to be better in primary school from my own opinion.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 84
                        • 85
                        • 86
                        • 87
                        • 88
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 86 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy