SwimSafer to replace NASSA
-
peterch:
The enrollment process is not clear yet. Usually, the registering of the test is through the coach. Using of swim aids like life jackets and pyjamas at the public pool is also not allowed unless there is a coach teaching them at that time. Thus, your kids might have to go for the class again to practise a few times the sequence and items if pyjamas or other aids are needed and you need to practise at a public pool.I have questions

How to enroll for the test? Do we have to go for swimming class before the test?
My kids could swim well, just wondering if they could go for the test or have to go for swimming class again
Thanks -
This is the information I found on internet. I quote :
" …Students midway through Learn-To-Swim will have to take a proficiency test before being allocated to a stage under SwimSafer. Those awarded bronze or silver under NASSA will be channelled to silver or gold, the final two stages of SwimSafer respectively…" -
bubblesnsplashes:
Thanks bubblesnsplashes....
The enrollment process is not clear yet. Usually, the registering of the test is through the coach. Using of swim aids like life jackets and pyjamas at the public pool is also not allowed unless there is a coach teaching them at that time. Thus, your kids might have to go for the class again to practise a few times the sequence and items if pyjamas or other aids are needed and you need to practise at a public pool.peterch:
I have questions

How to enroll for the test? Do we have to go for swimming class before the test?
My kids could swim well, just wondering if they could go for the test or have to go for swimming class again
Thanks
My DS and DD are quite a good swimmer, no aids such life jacket are needed. Will be waiting for info from you later.....
-
bubblesnsplashes
I think they will annouce it later but I am also interested to know the registration process for SwimSafer test not through coach, but ourselves ie. the parents/child. If this is mentioned in your upcoming class, please update us.
peterch
I think what bubblesnsplashes meant is not that your children need life jackets to swim but that there are certain components of the swim tests where the child is expected to demonstrate skills using aids. I guess what he meant was, without a swim coach, prior to the test your children can’t practise using these aids in a public swimming pool. -
Just want to say thanks for taking the trouble to post a reply, Bubbles!
-
cafelatte:
Sure, I will check for you if you can register by yourself.bubblesnsplashes
I think they will annouce it later but I am also interested to know the registration process for SwimSafer test not through coach, but ourselves ie. the parents/child. If this is mentioned in your upcoming class, please update us.
peterch
I think what bubblesnsplashes meant is not that your children need life jackets to swim but that there are certain components of the swim tests where the child is expected to demonstrate skills using aids. I guess what he meant was, without a swim coach, prior to the test your children can't practise using these aids in a public swimming pool.
Yes, you are right. I mean that some components can't be practised in the public pool without the coach. The life guard will ask the kids to come out if you do so. -
bboomer71:
Just want to say thanks for taking the trouble to post a reply, Bubbles!
You are welcome.
My course had been schedule on 26th to 27th April. Will let you all know more details after that.
-
Hi bubblesnsplashes,
Do you know is there any different between the local certificate & the international certificate under the current swimming test? I ask my DD coach whether she will be affected by the new system, he told me that since my dd will be going for the international exam, the new rule will not affect her. Any idea which cert is better? Thanks in advance! -
nmhmum:
Hi nmhmum,Hi bubblesnsplashes,
Do you know is there any different between the local certificate & the international certificate under the current swimming test? I ask my DD coach whether she will be affected by the new system, he told me that since my dd will be going for the international exam, the new rule will not affect her. Any idea which cert is better? Thanks in advance!
Which international certificate are you referring to? There are quite a few different certification from different associations. For eg. there are certifications from Austswim from Australia and STA (Swimming Teacher Association) from UK. Under these different associations, there are also different types of certificates for survival skills testing, strokes testing and distance swimming.
In Singapore, at the moment, the local certification is the NASSA test which will soon be replaces by the SwimSafer test. The NASSA certifications focus more on survival skills.
In my opinion, it is difficult to say which certs are better. I feel the parents should just take it as a milestone marker. If we compare the certs in terms of recognitions, the local ones would of course be more widely accepted in the local schools here. However, these certs might only exempt them from school swimming programs and not help them in admission to a certain schools.
The international ones might be more recognised overseas (depending on the countries) however, I think most people will not take out these certs to showcase their survival skills when they are oversea. More importantly, it is the skills that the students have learnt and keep with them rather than certs. Irregardless of the certifications, the coach should have taught them the proper strokes and survival skills.
Where is your DD learning? My guess is that she is at a private pool as most coaches in the public pool will follow the local certifications system. -
Hi bubblesnsplashes,
Currently, my children are under the private coach. I am thinking to switch them to the group. As now the swimsafer is to replace NASSA, do you think that I should hold on first for the switch.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login