All About Autism
-
Mummies
This forum is quite quiet recently. Hope I can still get response and advise from some of the more experience mummies here.
I am in a dilemma of whether to send my boy for a formal ASD assessment now.
The background is this. My boy is currently with SPD’s EIPIC but I wanted to transfer him to Rainbow and thereafter ARC as the last two EIPIC centres are more experienced and hopefully can help to improve his social communication skills. However, Rainbow and ARC will need a formal assessment report of his ASD status which I have been postponing as I don’t want him to have the label so early. His KKH doc too has also been telling us that we can wait till he is 5 to do so since we are already doing what is required to help him i.e EIPIC and therapies. Hence, no hurry to ‘label’ him.
We consulted my boy’s OT on the need to assess him. Instead, she asked if we think he is ASD. We told his OT that he is likely to be one but perhaps PDD-NOS or high functioning which she agreed. While she did not give us an answer if we should send him for assessment, she said that there are parents who chose to send their children to private EIPIC because they do not want to label the kids too early too. And today, I consulted my boy’s private psychologist and she said will be good to diagnose him now so that the therapists have a better understanding of his weaknesses. And she too said that ARC is more experienced in handling ASD kids.
Mummies, what would you do if you are in my shoe? Below are my two schools of thoughts.
Not to go for the full assessment:
Hubby and I are now more inclined to not send him for full assessment as we don’t want him to be labeled at such a young age. Also, like what the KKH doc said, my boy is already receiving all the necessary therapies now so whether to diagnose or not, makes no difference. And therapists, after working with him for sometime already know his weaknesses and are working on it.
But if we do not send him for full assessment, he can’t be transferred to Rainbow or ARC where he can probably learn more in terms of social communications as the current SPD EIPIC doesn’t seem to help much in this area. However, we can always go to the private route and send him to Weecare again but at a higher costs. Though we can still afford that, it will no doubt post a strain on our finances.
Not sending him for full assessment is also not about face-value as I have been
pretty open with his condition be it with my friends, family or his teachers in CC and enrichment classes.
To send him for full assessment:
The obvious benefit for doing so is that he will be able to enter Rainbow and start his queue at ARC.
Apart from the two schools of thought, we are also toying with the idea of pulling him out of government funded EIPIC and put him in private EIPIC which again does not require a formal assessment report.
Hope to hear your views. I really hope God can guide me on this as I don’t want to make a wrong decision that would affect my boy’s progress for life. -
Double E
It’s quite an easy choice for me. I think sending him to a suitable school is more important than fear of putting a label on your child. What’s more, you already more or less know & have told most of your friends. In A way, you have sort of your labelled your child by telling your friends, no? Honestly, I think This ‘label’ thing is no big deal. You will have to go through it sooner or later right? Unless, you are sure if you delay the assessment & give him more time to develop would help avoid the diagnosis then I say, delay it. -
Blokus
Thanks for the advise. Another reason for us to delay it is insurance issue cos we just bought two policies for him not long ago, we are worried that the insurance company will void the policy as there’s a window period which we need to comply.
In any case, hubby and I have decided to proceed with the diagnosis as we see more benefits than harm especially we are really keen to get him into ARC.
And after thinking through this, I think my relunctance to send him to a formal assessment is probably because I don’t want to face the reality. Is like although I already know he is ASD, having a specialist, a report in writing to tell me that he is indeed one is still a hard pill to swallow. But I know I can’t let emotions take over me and have to be rational in my decision making. -
I understand. Same for me. I am reluctant to put it on black & white not so much for the label but coz I can still hold on to that dim hope that my son is not on the spectrum.
-
Double e
I think getting labelled at 3 or 5 doesn’t make much of a difference if ‘labeling’ is your concern. If getting labeled can get him the help he needs at this age, go for it. It’s all just a name. If by not labeling him prohibits you from getting the necessary help he needs, then it’s still better to get a label. What is important is whether he can gain access to them. I think if u think he is autistic, whether 3 years old, 5 years old or 12 years old, it is still ‘autistic’. U can’t run away from it. Unless u aren’t very sure if he is autistic or not, then perhaps it is an issue. I guess that’s why the OT asks u what u think of his condition. -
Hi double E,
I went through the same process deciding to assess or not to. It was a tough decision but we finally decided to send him for assessment this yr. the doctor also said most ppl do have certain traits, but if it doesn’t interfere with his/her daily life, there is no need for assessment esp as she thinks mine might be aspergers, the mildest level.
We decided to go ahead as we want to give him the best support if he needs any. At least with the ‘lAbel’, the doc was saying the sch would or might give him more support and allowance.
The assessment shows that he is not in the asd spectrum and has very high performance iq. His problem is that he is very sensitive, emotional and is an introvert. He is now discharged from kkh child development. On one hand I’m thankful that he doesn’t have asd, on the other hand, I’m troubled as I can’t get any help on how to help him manage his sensitive side n to socialise esp when he is in a new environment. am worried when he goes to p1. Hoping that the teachers n friends are understanding n accepting if him.
There are pros n cons in our decision made but we must decide on what is best for our kids. The assessment will show us our child’s strengths and weaknesses and we will have a better understanding of them. At least, now I know my boy takes positive instructions better which I can share with the teachers. Hope my experience will be of some help in your decision making. -
Talking about being discharged, strangely, my son wasn’t discharged from kkh CDC when we visited them recently altho he is already going p2 next year. We will still be seeing the dr next year. I asked what role does she play and what can she do to help. She said she can help write letters and talk to the school if need be. Also for the Chinese exemption, she told me not to help him in preparing for his tests next time and let him fail. Then he will be able to get an exemption. Right now altho his results is in band 2, it is not bad enough to get an exemption.
And I also asked if the report expires. She said it doesn’t for autism reports. Autism reports are for life. So the sch will still accept the report many years down the road. We don’t need to redo the assessment. The reports that expires are for ADHD and dyslexia. -
Miloqueen00
May I know what are the traits your son had that made you think he was on the spectrum?
Thanks for sharing, it did shed some light. -
Miloqueen00
May I know what were the traits your son had that made you think he was on the spectrum?
Thanks for sharing, it did shed some light. -
Hi,
My boys is diagnosed with GDD. The doctor mentioning he is not autism eventhough he did show some strange repetitive behaviour. Now, I am looking for special school for him. He is delayed in his speech and cognitive skill. It is very hard to find a special school. The location is all far away from my home. Recently, I have shortlisted Zee school. They have 2 branches, one at Bukit Timah and another one is at East. The therapists and teachers are Filipinos. Anyone have feedback of this school? Please pm me if you think it is not appropriate to post here.
For government subsidised school, Rainbow. The charges range from $350 to $850. Do you know how much is the family income will be charged $850 per month? Any feedback for Rainbow at Yishun Park?
Thanks.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login