Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Teaching Values

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Working With Your Child
    251 Posts 110 Posters 24.2k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M Offline
      mongz
      last edited by

      serenasgreenhouse:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZlXWp6vFdE&feature=related


      Hi, would like to share this inspirational video on the youtube with all the mummies and daddies here. I watched this video during one of the motivational talks conducted for the kiddos by an external vendor when I was teaching at my ex-school. The video was on a former Olympic sprinter, Derek Redmond.

      I was very touched when I watched how Derek Redmond persevered and completed the 400-metre race in the semi-finals of the Barcelona Olympic Games 1992 despite pulling his hamstring.

      There will be times when we face obstacles or even failure in life. Do we give up? Or do we grit our teeth and persevere? It takes a lot of mental strength to continue the tough journey. Redmond is a true inspiration for all of us although I would not encourage anyone to run with a torn hamstring. Even in the face of failure, Redmond did not quit. He might not have won the race but in my eyes, he was a champion. He really showed us what pure grit and determination means.

      The love and support from his father also serves as a reminder to parents that it is important to be always there for your kids even if they may not be doing well academically or in other aspects. Help your kids to move forward.

      I can't remember who came in first. However, I can remember who came in last.

      Never give up.

      P.S. Sorry. Tried to embed Youtube video but was not successful. Could someone enlighten me on how to embed Youtube video on the forum?
      wow, it's really a nice clip. Thanks for sharing.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • S Offline
        serenasgreenhouse
        last edited by

        Hi, mongz. Glad you like the video 😄

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          mongz
          last edited by

          serenasgreenhouse:
          Hi, mongz. Glad you like the video 😄

          I showed it to my 4 and 6 yr old girls. My 6 yr old cried after watching it. I guess the effect is good since she can read the words. I read the words to my 4 yr old and although she is quite affected as well, she was asking alot of \"not so relevant\" questions about why he was in so much pain and why he cried and why they all start at different starting line since they are racing...haha!

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • S Offline
            serenasgreenhouse
            last edited by

            Hi. Would like to share an award-winning documentary that you can watch on Youtube. It is about a teacher from a primary school in Kanazawa, northwest of Tokyo, Japan, Toshiro Kanamori.


            \"What's the most important thing this year?\" asks Toshiro Kanamori to his students.

            \"To be happy!\" comes the joyous response.

            Kanamori Sensai believes that it is important to be happy. He reminds his pupils that they go to school to understand how to be happy and to learn to care for one another.

            Highly recommended for parents who think that it is important to nurture our kids to have empathy and care for others.

            http://serenagreenhouse.blogspot.com/2012/02/inspirational-video-for-parents-and.html

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • C Offline
              Cyeo
              last edited by

              Hey…have you all heard about 弟子规? It is the traditional moral values taught by Kong Zi. I think it is very good and as parents, it is very important that adults set a good example. Of course not forgetting that the media now is a super bad influence, the more we need a set of rules for the child to follow.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                smartmummy
                last edited by

                Hi All!

                need advice!!
                My son has been telling that his friends selling someting in school.I told him cannot buy anything from ur friends.If u want ask me I will buy for u.
                Yesterday he told me one of his friend made claws using papers and selling $1 for one claw.then he saw and found out how to do then he taught a friend cos the friend insisted my son to teach and he would give 30cents.Then my son taught and earn 30 cents.Then he returned home and asked me "can I do like that?"I said cannot.Enterpreneur is a good thing but in the school cannot do.
                What’s ur opinions?

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • S Offline
                  smartmummy
                  last edited by

                  My son told me a friend of him bring a watch and he can watch youtube and can do calculater.But his Ts don't know about it. I didn't believe him first.Then I asked him can I send a sms to T and let her know.He agreed.SO it is true.I wonder is it available in the market.If available also i don't think is a cheap one to bring school :? .My son said is a $100.I haven't yet sms to T.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    marvic
                    last edited by

                    smartmummy:
                    Hi All!

                    need advice!!
                    My son has been telling that his friends selling someting in school.I told him cannot buy anything from ur friends.If u want ask me I will buy for u.
                    Yesterday he told me one of his friend made claws using papers and selling $1 for one claw.then he saw and found out how to do then he taught a friend cos the friend insisted my son to teach and he would give 30cents.Then my son taught and earn 30 cents.Then he returned home and asked me \"can I do like that?\"I said cannot.Enterpreneur is a good thing but in the school cannot do.
                    What's ur opinions?
                    It's never too early to nurture entrepreneurship. I don't see anything wrong with that. Your child made something which people want, and in return he gets something that he wants too.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • NebbermindN Offline
                      Nebbermind
                      last edited by

                      marvic:


                      It's never too early to nurture entrepreneurship. I don't see anything wrong with that. Your child made something which people want, and in return he gets something that he wants too.
                      Entrepreneurship is OK...but must ensure it's done in the correct way...and no exploitation of those innocent minds of fellow schoolmates. 😄

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • W Offline
                        warriortemujin
                        last edited by

                        Schools and teachers are not responsible of a child’s upbringing. I think we as parents have to take responsibility.


                        It is important to set a good example to our little ones. Once damaged, it is difficult to undo it. However, it is better to correct it then to let it continue to manifest into something worst.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 18
                        • 19
                        • 20
                        • 21
                        • 22
                        • 25
                        • 26
                        • 20 / 26
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        andeliaA
                        andelia
                        thebottomsupblogT
                        thebottomsupblog

                        Statistics

                        9

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy