DSA 2022
-
Nice article worth reading...
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/author-9-donates-3600-in-book-sales-proceeds-to-st-school-pocket-money-fund -
My gal dsa sports into nygh. She’s not a national player but she spent 5 days per week on her sport 4h each. Durinf dsa season, I think almost everyday. On top of this, she’s also into dancing. No tuition cos no time. She was also in the top class in pri sch and enrolled in biculural program. Really no time do other things.
-
SG_KP1\" post_id=\"2076828\" time=\"1659166660\" user_id=\"188234:
Yes I saw this and it reminds me of my P2 gal. She loves to write stories with lots of dialogues etc and she will also draw comics. She can do this everyday. Stacks and stacks of stapled recycled paper that she used to write her stories.
Nice article worth reading...
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/author-9-donates-3600-in-book-sales-proceeds-to-st-school-pocket-money-fund
Any ideas where I can send her to encourage her and hone her interest further? So far the writing classes I enquired are all catered to exams, writing compositions. -
I think regardless if its academic or sports, there’s no doubt a lot of time would have to spend on nurturing it. After following DSA thread for quite some time, I realized that DSA is not for those who wants to DSA but rather, its more for those who has found what they are good in and thereafter looking at DSA to continue what they have been good at.
When there’s so many people going for DSA, the ones who normally get selected are those who are already quite well-known in the respective field. Those who are ranked nationally within top 8. Even for team sports, the better players are already spotted. And to be trained to be of this kind of ranking, a lot of time & effort have to be put in. I can only speak for my girl, a swimmer, weekly she has to put in about 15 hours of training and its only increasing as she grows older.
So don’t try to push your child into something which they might be able to DSA. Rather I think focusing on what their interest is and see where it leads to may be more fitting. -
SSS Mummy\" post_id=\"2076810\" time=\"1659157322\" user_id=\"191692:[quote=\"SSS Mummy\" post_id=2076810 time=1659157322 user_id=191692]
It really depends and I'll prob speak for Team sports. As long as the child has an ability to play to a certain level, sch team, top 3 in zone or exposure in intl and local competitions, they are usually good enough to be invited to trial. Some sch will have 150+ kids attending and others maybe like 40. Also depends on the kind of players the coaches want (football). They also usually already have a network and would know the better players from the various tournaments or even their outside coaching academy.
Thank you everyone for your kind inputs. I'm just so ignorant over JSA as there isn't any during my DD time.
Now knowing the importance of DSA, I hope to prepare my DS too.
For parents whom got kids admitted to sports DSA or got shortlisted for one this year, can I check what do schools look out for in Sports DSA in students?
Pardon me for my ignorance on this.[/quote]
DS plays ftball and has been playing since 6yr old competitively. Both local and overseas. Parents would also know who the better kids are. There are also those who are exceptionally talented and stand gd chance in DSA provided SSS has not already grabbed them. -
Imp75\" post_id=\"2076832\" time=\"1659167962\" user_id=\"2358:
She spent 5 days per week training before DSA season, and train daily during DSA season? she not tired?
My gal dsa sports into nygh. She's not a national player but she spent 5 days per week on her sport 4h each. Durinf dsa season, I think almost everyday. On top of this, she's also into dancing. No tuition cos no time. She was also in the top class in pri sch and enrolled in biculural program. Really no time do other things. -
Anyone able to advise wat to prepare for dsa interview?
-
mystique_j\" post_id=\"2076834\" time=\"1659168242\" user_id=\"39431:
Maybe have her read the ST article as well! I think kids often find inspiration when they see others like them doing something extraordinary. Instead of thinking \"I'm just a kid/student,\" they then believe they can do it too.
Yes I saw this and it reminds me of my P2 gal. She loves to write stories with lots of dialogues etc and she will also draw comics. She can do this everyday. Stacks and stacks of stapled recycled paper that she used to write her stories.
Any ideas where I can send her to encourage her and hone her interest further? So far the writing classes I enquired are all catered to exams, writing compositions.
As for writing specifically, I can't recommend any particular place to send her. There are some competitions in the upper primary years that you can keep a lookout for later. In the meantime, you can look at the topics/prompts and she can write on her own for fun when she has time (obviously standard at P2 will be different but it is a way to practice writing for fun outside of school compo).
These are all things that have been done before. Also try to think about what else she can do that is new? Sometimes magazines and newspapers will publish an article/essay from kids. If drawing comics or short stories, could also post online via Instagram or something. Really, anything that gets the kid motivated and excited to write more. Some will say that a pen/paper and reading a lot is all that's needed.
#1. SOTA Creative Writing Competition.
Go to \"About the Competition\" and look at the prompts. Can complete any/all as time permits.
https://www.sota.edu.sg/p6cwcom2022
#2. MOE Creative Writing Programme:
Go to the \"Information Package\" and look at the Challenge Piece requirements/prompts. There are also some Resources and Tips on the website.
https://sites.google.com/site/creativewritingprogramme/cwp-2020-submission-template
https://sites.google.com/site/creativewritingprogramme/resources
#3. Singapore Young Writers Press:
Pre-COVID there was a national competition starting for P3s. Not sure if it will happen again later this year.
https://singaporeyoungwriterspress.com/
https://singaporeyoungwriterspress.com/mailing/ -
bbbay\" post_id=\"2076850\" time=\"1659177221\" user_id=\"175278:
I can attest to that. Most sports kids spend this much time if not more.
She spent 5 days per week training before DSA season, and train daily during DSA season? she not tired? -
mystique_j\" post_id=\"2076834\" time=\"1659168242\" user_id=\"39431:
Hypothetically, say a literature Nobel Prize laureate willing to take your girl under her wing and groom
Yes I saw this and it reminds me of my P2 gal. She loves to write stories with lots of dialogues etc and she will also draw comics. She can do this everyday. Stacks and stacks of stapled recycled paper that she used to write her stories.
Any ideas where I can send her to encourage her and hone her interest further? So far the writing classes I enquired are all catered to exams, writing compositions.
her into a world class novelist. But the caveat is your girl has to give up her studies in Singapore and train with her full time for number of years, would you agree?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login