All About Preparing For PSLE
-
Starting from now, no more fried food and lots of water. If possible, avoid crowded places. Take Vit C. Did I miss out anything?
-
maybe VitB Complex ??
-
janet_lee88:
My DS also had high fever & sore throat last week & now he got running nose & slight cough. Wanted him to rest more but he came home late everyday & need to complete his hw until 9:30pm everyday. PSLE Oral coming & he still not recover! :nailbite:My son has fever and sore throat last night...so I kept him at home today. Much better this morn, so he revised a little. Weather is so hot hot hot !!! Typhoon in HK, flood in China but we are sweating buckets here...oh dear.
Anyway mummies, do take care of yourselves too. -
Peony:
Yes Korean Ginseng is mostly Heaty so better don't try during such important time. Can't afford to fall sick.
Hi, am no expert, but I think Korean Ginseng is heaty.Oodles Mummy:
Hi Peony, do you know if Korean Ginseng has the same effect? I bought quite a few bottles of them during a Korean trip
-
janet_lee88:
Janet, What is EYS tea?
American ginseng is cooling compared to essence.Peony:
The American ginseng is more to counter our heaty weather. TCM has been recognised in the medical field.
Aside to Janet, I love EYS' American ginseng tea. But DD doesn't. Hence I give her the capsule form.
Fortunately my boy is willing to drink EYS tea. So I will get him to drink again on alternate days. Suspect he is reaching puberty...he really can eat and always hungry. He is very tired after school. Can knock out for 3 hours.
I think it's possible that he is undergoing puberty. It's good that he eats a lot during this period. Did he has mood swing? I heard from friend that her boy when reaching puberty very moody & emotionally not stable, like to argue with her & get angry easily. I m not sure if it's because of PSLE stress though. :? -
Computer Addict:
I sat PSLE two years ago, now sec 2 in IP school. My advice is don't overstress the kid, just let him or her try his or her best. DSA is useful and if the kid gets a place during DSA it takes a lot of pressure off him or her. Don't overstretch the child, if you tell the kid to do something that you / him knows he cannot do, then his motivation and confidence will plummet and he will not do as well. All parents will be worried, but if the parent is over-worried the kid will be very stressed.
Supplements like ginseng may or may not help, but I don't think there's any scientific proof that it helps.
-Typed from previous experience-
I agree. My dds went through many exams (including PSLE) without all these ginseng, special stuff. I always ask them to make sure they have enough sleep. Water, water, water!!!
Of course balance diet, fruits and vegetables (which is normal). Hmmmm ...... stress?? I ask them to take some time to play piano (even 10 to 15 min is good.
A few months before PSLE, teachers piled them up with past year papers. 6 papers a day, ridiculous!! If dd cannot complete, i will write a letter to explain to the teacher. Of course she cant tell me she cannot complete 6 papers. She must do her part, good reason why she cannot complete, i will write the letter
Having enough sleep is very important.
I will not ask my dds to complete their homework and sleep at 12 am or after. 11pm latest, lights off, i dont care what the teachers say!!!! -
janet_lee88:
Starting from now, no more fried food and lots of water. If possible, avoid crowded places. Take Vit C. Did I miss out anything?
The school is a crowded place! And where DD catches (and infects) the most! :stompfeet:
But as you say, \"if possible\". -
A balanced diet, more water and REST is crucial. My son, like many other kids is pounded with lots of past year papers. I have emailed his teachers to inform them he will try to do what he can. It’s crazy if there is no limit…a burnt out child is as good as not sitting for PSLE.
Sufficient sleep at night is very impt…2 nights ago when I slept just 3 hours, I was totally dysfunctional that whole day. -
Lynn2010:
Total agree with Lynn2010... I felt that enough sleep & enough hydration is very important and critical for the child now. My dd will always be sleeping latest by 10.30 pm, be it weekday or weekend. Actually, we will never think that study is enough. At times, my dd will tell me that she seems to be studying the whole day long, other than sleep and eat??? :roll: Lately, I heard a lot of her classmates falling sick. This period is so important, so apart from studying hard, I believe we must ensure their health is at 'tip top' too!Computer Addict:
I sat PSLE two years ago, now sec 2 in IP school. My advice is don't overstress the kid, just let him or her try his or her best. DSA is useful and if the kid gets a place during DSA it takes a lot of pressure off him or her. Don't overstretch the child, if you tell the kid to do something that you / him knows he cannot do, then his motivation and confidence will plummet and he will not do as well. All parents will be worried, but if the parent is over-worried the kid will be very stressed.
Supplements like ginseng may or may not help, but I don't think there's any scientific proof that it helps.
-Typed from previous experience-
I agree. My dds went through many exams (including PSLE) without all these ginseng, special stuff. I always ask them to make sure they have enough sleep. Water, water, water!!!
Of course balance diet, fruits and vegetables (which is normal). Hmmmm ...... stress?? I ask them to take some time to play piano (even 10 to 15 min is good.
A few months before PSLE, teachers piled them up with past year papers. 6 papers a day, ridiculous!! If dd cannot complete, i will write a letter to explain to the teacher. Of course she cant tell me she cannot complete 6 papers. She must do her part, good reason why she cannot complete, i will write the letter
Having enough sleep is very important.
I will not ask my dds to complete their homework and sleep at 12 am or after. 11pm latest, lights off, i dont care what the teachers say!!!! -
kay22:
Total agree with Lynn2010... I felt that enough sleep & enough hydration is very important and critical for the child now. My dd will always be sleeping latest by 10.30 pm, be it weekday or weekend. Actually, we will never think that study is enough. At times, my dd will tell me that she seems to be studying the whole day long, other than sleep and eat??? :roll: Lately, I heard a lot of her classmates falling sick. This period is so important, so apart from studying hard, I believe we must ensure their health is at 'tip top' too![/quote]Perhaps there is an assumption that the kids falling sick are overstretched? That may be true for some of the kids.Lynn2010:
[quote=\"Computer Addict\"]I sat PSLE two years ago, now sec 2 in IP school. My advice is don't overstress the kid, just let him or her try his or her best. DSA is useful and if the kid gets a place during DSA it takes a lot of pressure off him or her. Don't overstretch the child, if you tell the kid to do something that you / him knows he cannot do, then his motivation and confidence will plummet and he will not do as well. All parents will be worried, but if the parent is over-worried the kid will be very stressed.
Supplements like ginseng may or may not help, but I don't think there's any scientific proof that it helps.
-Typed from previous experience-
I agree. My dds went through many exams (including PSLE) without all these ginseng, special stuff. I always ask them to make sure they have enough sleep. Water, water, water!!!
Of course balance diet, fruits and vegetables (which is normal). Hmmmm ...... stress?? I ask them to take some time to play piano (even 10 to 15 min is good.
A few months before PSLE, teachers piled them up with past year papers. 6 papers a day, ridiculous!! If dd cannot complete, i will write a letter to explain to the teacher. Of course she cant tell me she cannot complete 6 papers. She must do her part, good reason why she cannot complete, i will write the letter
Having enough sleep is very important.
I will not ask my dds to complete their homework and sleep at 12 am or after. 11pm latest, lights off, i dont care what the teachers say!!!!
Lynn, u are indeed fortunate that your DC did not need supplements. How I wish I need not spend so much on them.
My DD sleeps before 10 every evening and I ensure she does selective homework (not all the ridiculous amount the school gives). And outdoor play is still a must in her daily routine (I will never compromise that).
Sadly, she has double whammy of the childhood ailments from both the paternal and maternal side of the family. We watch her diet, she only drinks plain water but because of her childhood ailments (on long term meds), we need to watch even closer.
Hence to others with a child having the same condition
:grphug:
I will continue with the TCM especially cordyceps as at least she recovers faster with them. Cordyceps are also effective for kids with weak lungs. Western medication treats the symptons but do not strengthen.
And as I always say to her, I love her more than her grades.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login