All About Preparing For Primary One
-
jedamum:
tree nymph:
As for English, he will actually run away when i ask him to do some reading!
my boy is still a reluctant reader. he is very selective over books.
you have to know which genre of books your boy likes.
geronimo stilton books are great for starters.
you can pick up more ideas here.
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=499&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
Geronimo's books are fun to read but may be a bit too long for a boy who \"actually run away\" when asked \"to do some reading\".
There is a series of books by Rex Stone called \"Dinosaur Cove\" about 2 boys who found a hidden cave that transport them back in time to a lost world full of dinosaurs. The books are thinner than Geronimo and probably easy for budding readers especially boys. Available in Library and PageOne book store. -
tankee:
thanks tankee,
Geronimo's books are fun to read but may be a bit too long for a boy who \"actually run away\" when asked \"to do some reading\".
There is a series of books by Rex Stone called \"Dinosaur Cove\" about 2 boys who found a hidden cave that transport them back in time to a lost world full of dinosaurs. The books are thinner than Geronimo and probably easy for budding readers especially boys. Available in Library and PageOne book store.
will try to see if it's available in the library...my boy is not a dinosaur fan, but will see if can expand the genre of books that he is reading. -
ks2me:
Anyone can share how to teach a 6yr old how to count money? :?
Can share some experiences with you on non-academic aspects:
1. How to count money
Thanks in advance
-
Just to share my experience, I started with buying breakfast at coffee shop with my son. When the pau and teh-c were delivered, i taught him to pay one with exact change and the other with higher denomination. After a few times, he got the ideas about the different $/coins denomination and how monetary amounts are transacted. Hope this helpsβ¦
-
I let my son buy his favourite potato chips/snacks every once in a while. He asks the price, comes back to me, and I let him take out the coins to make the amount. Slowly, can introduce the concept of getting change, how much change etc.
-
I wrote different food items with different prices on pieces of paper,
and "sold" them to DD.
When she ran out of money, we switched roles. Of course when I "buy",
I donβt give her exact change so that she has to do some calculation. -
Thank you all for sharing...
Looks like I'm going to do some trading with my son tonight... :evil:
Thanks once again -
Hi,
My boy will be P1 next yrs.
Juz bought the exercise book from the school.
May i know all the primary school book are same or not? -
UmmuMuadz:
Anyone can share how to teach a 6yr old how to count money? :?
Thanks in advance
I intend to give DD $2 for pocket money when she goes to P1 next year. For a start, will be giving her only 10c and 20c. I have gone through with her the various combinations of 10c and 20c to make the various values up to $2. I will introduce 50c this weekend since she seem to be mastering the 10c and 20c.
I am making her 'buy' her meals at home now. She gets $2 to spend. So at dinner time, she has to ask my helper how much her meal will cost and pay her from her pocket money. Likewise for fruits and drinks if she wants any after dinner. At the end of the day, my helper will pass the coins back to me and I will give DD the $2 the next day.
DD has been quite funny. When my helper told her that her dinner costs 80c, the went like wah so expensive, then I have no money for dessert oredi. -
hnghng:
Generally there are 2 seriesHi,
My boy will be P1 next yrs.
Juz bought the exercise book from the school.
May i know all the primary school book are same or not?
For English - Stellar or My Pals
For Math - Shaping Maths or My Pals
For Chinese - General the same except I do know some schools are starting to use their own materials sourced from elsewhere
Others like Music, etc. - Perfect Match or My First Step
That's what I know...maybe there may be some minor series around...but generally those above are the common ones.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better π
Register Login