Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Literacy Circle - Discussion

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved English
    269 Posts 91 Posters 134.9k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • T Offline
      titank
      last edited by

      My assessment just 10 minutes only, maybe my DD is a bit sall where just 3.5 years old. Assessment was done at Thomson L Central.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • H Offline
        HyperKiasu
        last edited by

        After my DS assessment, I also let my DH try. Hers only took 5 mins and in the first 2 mins, she was too shy to open mouth…

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          Monster Mummy
          last edited by

          Hi,


          Can i know what does the foundation level cover as well for Launchpad

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • E Offline
            Engkidz
            last edited by

            Actually when I bring my DD to assessment the teacher at Bukit Timah took 45 mins! About 20 mins with my girl and another 25 answer my question.


            Monster Mummy my DD is in the Success (exam skills) program but I read on the website that Foundations and Launchpad cover phonics. Blending and segmenting and sounds in words. Also for the little ones in foundations music and movement and motor skill.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • M Offline
              Monster Mummy
              last edited by

              Hi,


              Does the success(exam skills) follow exact as the primary school syllabus. Does it involve any cost in the assessment.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • E Offline
                Engkidz
                last edited by

                Hi Monster Mummy.


                The assessment is free. And I shop around before choosing LCentral (mostly because I like the teacher) and also because I ask to see the materiels. The centre manager say that they follow the MOE syllabus and this is confirm by the teacher and also I see for myself in the materiels.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • H Offline
                  HyperKiasu
                  last edited by

                  Engkidz:
                  Actually when I bring my DD to assessment the teacher at Bukit Timah took 45 mins! About 20 mins with my girl and another 25 answer my question.


                  Monster Mummy my DD is in the Success (exam skills) program but I read on the website that Foundations and Launchpad cover phonics. Blending and segmenting and sounds in words. Also for the little ones in foundations music and movement and motor skill.

                  25min to answer your question? I had no idea :roll: what to ask during last assessment. Perhaps in my area, LC is the only one that I know have received positive feedback.... 😉

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • E Offline
                    Engkidz
                    last edited by

                    HyperKiasu:
                    25min to answer your question? I had no idea :roll: what to ask during last assessment. Perhaps in my area, LC is the only one that I know have received positive feedback.... 😉

                    Hi hyperkiasu

                    Think I am more kiasu than you! I had a lot of questions for the teacher who was very patient with me. My concern was for my DD, she is the shy type so we talk alot about personality and my request for feedback. Of course every lesson cannot always speak to teacher but she is very honest and my DD feel comfortable with her.
                    I did see an improvement in my DD exam results, school teacher feedback is that she has come out of her shell a bit! :celebrate: Teacher at BT did say that perhaps it will take a few terms to see a marked diff in result but so far so good. 😎

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • O Offline
                      oneheart
                      last edited by

                      My review was abt 10-15 minutes for each of my two kids. For my 1st who is in K2, there were some sight words for him to read and a list of words to test his blending. He was also tested on handrwriting skills. He’s assessed to start off at Lift Off.


                      For my Nursery gal, she was given a few pictures and asked what is the picture and then asked what is the first sound of the pictures. She was asked to write her own name but heheh a bit paiseh cos she hasn’t learnt how to write her name yet. She’s a bit shy at first cos this is the first time she’s attending class. Assessed to be start off at foundation.

                      Then another 10-15 mins for the teacher to brief us on the programme & any q&A.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • MMMM Offline
                        MMM
                        last edited by

                        Literacy circle (find the new name so difficult to remember) was on my shortlist when I was looking for a program for my K1 this year. I saw their materials earlier on and thought that it looked very solid eg. by P1, the child would be expose to comprehension and compo.


                        However, as my K1 is on already on phonics program with Jan & Elly (she will complete the entire course in Dec this year), I hesitated about sending her to LC as I felt that it will duplicate what she learnt. Hence, I sent her to LW since the phonics focus is lesser. Pretty interesting so far but I am not sure if they will be academic enough by K2. So I am harboring thoughts of sending my K1 to LC next year since the class size is smaller and they are also staff with native speakers.

                        The same applies to my P3 and P2 who are with BC. This is their 2nd year. Will observed their results before deciding to make the switch. They attended LC’s hol camp on writing previously and enjoyed themselves. I contemplated but due to 1 yr commitment with BC, we stayed on.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 5
                        • 6
                        • 7
                        • 26
                        • 27
                        • 5 / 27
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        5

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy