Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Cameras

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Recess Time
    102 Posts 28 Posters 25.0k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • H Offline
      Happy Mama
      last edited by

      smurf:
      I went to Cathay photo, they quoted $899 for nikon d3100.but they also recommended Sony alpha series, saying that Sony is now making better DSLR wor...price wise is quite competitive...and alpha can take full HD video leh...


      Any comments?? :?
      My pro friends were laughing at the Sony Alpha. They say it's not a DSLR. It just gives the effect of a DSLR. Also, the lens don't seem to be inter-changeable. I would think Nikon D3100 would be a better choice for a beginner. My 2 cents worth 😉

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • J Offline
        jtoh
        last edited by

        Happy Mama:
        smurf:

        I went to Cathay photo, they quoted $899 for nikon d3100.but they also recommended Sony alpha series, saying that Sony is now making better DSLR wor...price wise is quite competitive...and alpha can take full HD video leh...


        Any comments?? :?

        My pro friends were laughing at the Sony Alpha. They say it's not a DSLR. It just gives the effect of a DSLR. Also, the lens don't seem to be inter-changeable. I would think Nikon D3100 would be a better choice for a beginner. My 2 cents worth 😉

        I have that impression too. I think Sony's probably giving the retailers a better profit margin and that's why they're trying to promote it.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • J Offline
          jtoh
          last edited by

          twinklejoy:
          hi all,

          can advise which is more prefer?
          1. Canon EOS1000
          2. Panasonic FZ40
          on the other hand, I'm still aiming Nikon D3100....only if I can get the same price as Brainkid :oops: ..
          I know nuts about DSLR so please offer advises.
          Many Thanks!
          I'm not familiar with the two models you're talking about. For DSLR, read through this thread. If you have any further specific questions I'll see if I can answer.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • H Offline
            Happy Mama
            last edited by

            twinklejoy:
            hi all,

            can advise which is more prefer?
            1. Canon EOS1000
            2. Panasonic FZ40
            on the other hand, I'm still aiming Nikon D3100....only if I can get the same price as Brainkid :oops: ..
            I know nuts about DSLR so please offer advises.
            Many Thanks!
            It depends on your brand preference in this case... Why don't you drop by the shop and trying holding it to get a feel of the camera? It's always the \"feel\" and also which camera you can comfortably grip with your hands/fingers.

            If you ask me for personal choice, I am a fan of Canon as it is very user friendly even for beginners. My hubby is a fan of Nikon.... but Panasonic DSLR? :?

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • T Offline
              twinklejoy
              last edited by

              jtoh:
              twinklejoy:

              hi all,

              can advise which is more prefer?
              1. Canon EOS1000
              2. Panasonic FZ40
              on the other hand, I'm still aiming Nikon D3100....only if I can get the same price as Brainkid :oops: ..
              I know nuts about DSLR so please offer advises.
              Many Thanks!

              I'm not familiar with the two models you're talking about. For DSLR, read through this thread. If you have any further specific questions I'll see if I can answer.

              Thanks jtoh.
              I hv read through this thread and know that NikonD3100 is still the preferred model.
              was thinking, of these 2 models, are they comparable to NikonD3100?
              I'm new to DSLR but am willing to learn all those complicated switches and functions.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • T Offline
                twinklejoy
                last edited by

                saw People’s Audio(at people’s park complex) having promo until this sun.

                NikonD3100 SP$799(b4 GST) with freebies
                Canon EOS1000 SP$799(aft GST) with freebies
                Panasonic FZ40 SP$699(aft GST) with freebies
                which one to chose?

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • T Offline
                  twinklejoy
                  last edited by

                  Happy Mama:
                  twinklejoy:

                  hi all,

                  can advise which is more prefer?
                  1. Canon EOS1000
                  2. Panasonic FZ40
                  on the other hand, I'm still aiming Nikon D3100....only if I can get the same price as Brainkid :oops: ..
                  I know nuts about DSLR so please offer advises.
                  Many Thanks!

                  It depends on your brand preference in this case... Why don't you drop by the shop and trying holding it to get a feel of the camera? It's always the \"feel\" and also which camera you can comfortably grip with your hands/fingers. If you ask me for personal choice, I am a fan of Canon as it is very user friendly even for beginners. My hubby is a fan of Nikon.... but Panasonic DSLR? :?

                  I see..Thanks Happy mama.
                  Went down to courts last time. did try to hold sharp & sony DSLR that the salesman recomended..felt that my fingers are kinda too short to reach the buttons and clumsy.
                  no chance to hold canon EOS and nikon yet..all are kept in the showcase with lock :oops:

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • H Offline
                    Happy Mama
                    last edited by

                    twinklejoy:
                    Happy Mama:

                    [quote=\"twinklejoy\"]hi all,

                    can advise which is more prefer?
                    1. Canon EOS1000
                    2. Panasonic FZ40
                    on the other hand, I'm still aiming Nikon D3100....only if I can get the same price as Brainkid :oops: ..
                    I know nuts about DSLR so please offer advises.
                    Many Thanks!

                    It depends on your brand preference in this case... Why don't you drop by the shop and trying holding it to get a feel of the camera? It's always the \"feel\" and also which camera you can comfortably grip with your hands/fingers. If you ask me for personal choice, I am a fan of Canon as it is very user friendly even for beginners. My hubby is a fan of Nikon.... but Panasonic DSLR? :?

                    I see..Thanks Happy mama.
                    Went down to courts last time. did try to hold sharp & sony DSLR that the salesman recomended..felt that my fingers are kinda too short to reach the buttons and clumsy.
                    no chance to hold canon EOS and nikon yet..all are kept in the showcase with lock :oops:[/quote]Sony Alpha's grip is very bad and when you hold it, you will feel the camera tilting forward because of it's heavy lens and light body. I am personally using a Canon DSLR.

                    You can approach the sales staff and get them to bring the cameras out to let you have a feel of it. For DSLRs, it's safer to go for Nikon or Canon.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • J Offline
                      jtoh
                      last edited by

                      I agree with happy mama. For DSLRs I’d stick with Nikon or Canon. Go hold them in your hand and see which you prefer. Some people prefer a bigger grip, others a smaller grip.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • T Offline
                        twinklejoy
                        last edited by

                        Happy Mama:
                        twinklejoy:

                        [quote=\"Happy Mama\"]
                        It depends on your brand preference in this case... Why don't you drop by the shop and trying holding it to get a feel of the camera? It's always the \"feel\" and also which camera you can comfortably grip with your hands/fingers. If you ask me for personal choice, I am a fan of Canon as it is very user friendly even for beginners. My hubby is a fan of Nikon.... but Panasonic DSLR? :?

                        I see..Thanks Happy mama.
                        Went down to courts last time. did try to hold sharp & sony DSLR that the salesman recomended..felt that my fingers are kinda too short to reach the buttons and clumsy.
                        no chance to hold canon EOS and nikon yet..all are kept in the showcase with lock :oops:

                        Sony Alpha's grip is very bad and when you hold it, you will feel the camera tilting forward because of it's heavy lens and light body. I am personally using a Canon DSLR.

                        You can approach the sales staff and get them to bring the cameras out to let you have a feel of it. For DSLRs, it's safer to go for Nikon or Canon.[/quote]sorry that I didn't elaborate further.
                        The salesman was standing next to me all the while, followed wherever i went...being so unfamiliar with DSLR, I asked if there's any video function for both canon and nikon, he said no...but i remember reading in this thread commented that both have video function..so I knew he was just trying to 'entertain' me so I didn't bother to ask him to bring the cameras out..
                        ok, I will try to hold both canon and nikon and see how I feel about them..
                        Thanks alot for the advises jtoh and happy mama! 😄

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 6
                        • 7
                        • 8
                        • 9
                        • 10
                        • 11
                        • 8 / 11
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        thebottomsupblogT
                        thebottomsupblog

                        Statistics

                        7

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy