Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Bad Teachers

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Academic Learning & Enrichment
    131 Posts 51 Posters 62.8k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S Offline
      senseimichael
      last edited by

      TheAnswer:

      How do you strike a balance between work and family if working till 11pm is common? Never burnout? How about weekends?
      That is why I left. I must say, though, that the MOE of today is different from the one I left in 2002. Teachers teach less periods, and there are more support for them with their work. However, some things, like the tons of never-ending marking, never seem to change.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • janet88J Offline
        janet88
        last edited by

        Marking is a teacher’s worst headache…1 class of 40 x number of classes x diff level. Yet there are some teachers who can still moonlight.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          senseimichael
          last edited by

          janet_lee88:
          Marking is a teacher's worst headache...1 class of 40 x number of classes x diff level. Yet there are some teachers who can still moonlight.

          You shall always find time for what is important. For some teachers, the tuition is not for the money, but for the satisfaction of having a bunch of children you can truly teach, instead of having to \"deliver a syllabus\".

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • O Offline
            osim
            last edited by

            One thing I cannot reconcile is how come teachers are allowed to moonlight as private tutors? When they don’t get enough rest, how can they do their job well? I also hear them complaining being overworked by MOE, so how do they have time to give tuition.


            When I was working, if I had to do work at home, it’s work from the company that employed me. Sometimes, I would spend time to read up info to learn and enhance my work proficiency and all these extra time spent was for my actual work , not some moonlighting work.

            I think MOE must explicitly disallow teachers from padding their pockets at the expense of giving the children the best in their teaching job.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • M Offline
              Mdm Koh
              last edited by

              senseimichael:
              TheAnswer:


              How do you strike a balance between work and family if working till 11pm is common? Never burnout? How about weekends?

              That is why I left. I must say, though, that the MOE of today is different from the one I left in 2002. Teachers teach less periods, and there are more support for them with their work. However, some things, like the tons of never-ending marking, never seem to change.

              I don't think it's about the marking... It's about how all the work piles up, so much so that the teacher is not just a teacher, but he or she also has to be responsible for many different non-teaching tasks.

              Teachers moonlight for various reasons. Some of them want to make more money so that they can lead more comfortable lives. Others want to try out tuition or other part-time jobs, because they want to have something to fall back on should they decide to throw in the towel.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • M Offline
                Mdm Koh
                last edited by

                osim:
                One thing I cannot reconcile is how come teachers are allowed to moonlight as private tutors? When they don't get enough rest, how can they do their job well? I also hear them complaining being overworked by MOE, so how do they have time to give tuition.


                When I was working, if I had to do work at home, it's work from the company that employed me. Sometimes, I would spend time to read up info to learn and enhance my work proficiency and all these extra time spent was for my actual work , not some moonlighting work.

                I think MOE must explicitly disallow teachers from padding their pockets at the expense of giving the children the best in their teaching job.
                But it can also be argued that teaching tuition helps teachers to hone their skills in the subjects? I think one reason could be that MOE doesn't recognise that being a tutor is a \"real job\". 😂 Because tutors are not working for companies and most don't register themselves as owners of a tuition business. Teachers are explicitly disallowed from owning businesses or working for other employers.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • S Offline
                  senseimichael
                  last edited by

                  osim:
                  One thing I cannot reconcile is how come teachers are allowed to moonlight as private tutors? When they don't get enough rest, how can they do their job well? I also hear them complaining being overworked by MOE, so how do they have time to give tuition.

                  Trust me, osim, those overworked teachers have no time to moonlight as private tutors! Many who do so are either ready to throw in the towel (and so preparing themselves to be full-time tutors) or else are seriously wanting to do \"real teaching\" of students who are really interested to learn, for once.
                  [quote]Sometimes, I would spend time to read up info to learn and enhance my work proficiency and all these extra time spent was for my actual work , not some moonlighting work.[/quote]Uh...the tuition actually enhances work proficiency, as they are further exposure to different students. Many of these students are more ready to learn than those some of the teachers faced.
                  [quote]I think MOE must explicitly disallow teachers from padding their pockets at the expense of giving the children the best in their teaching job.[/quote]The day MOE is prepared to be lynched by kiasu parents who want teachers to tutor their children, sure, they will do that.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • O Offline
                    osim
                    last edited by

                    Sorry I beg to differ that teacher giving tuition will help them to teach better. I learned that in NZ, the teachers spent much of their time finding what is the best way to teach the studuents in school, they do research and share their findings with their colleagues. Here in Singapore, the teacher are more into delivering the curriculum dictated by MOE.


                    How would doing more of the same thing by giving tuition help to better a teacher's skills? You become better only by learning new methods, spend time to reflect on what has been done right or not so right in the class. At the end of the day, the teacher has to better their skill in teaching a CLASS, so how does being proficient in teaching ONE can help? I think that is not a good excuse.

                    I see the big cars the teachers are driving to school these days, I think they are not doing badly 😄 .

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • M Offline
                      Mdm Koh
                      last edited by

                      Well, like sensei michael has pointed out, if there's no demand there'll be no supply! 😉

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • S Offline
                        senseimichael
                        last edited by

                        osim:

                        I see the big cars the teachers are driving to school these days, I think they are not doing badly 😄 .
                        How many of these cars belong to their husbands, or are paid by them? I certainly did not get the chance to drive big cars when I was in MOE!

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 9
                        • 10
                        • 11
                        • 12
                        • 13
                        • 14
                        • 11 / 14
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        0

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy