Coping with Primary 1
-
Hi mummies,
I went through a rough patch last year...experienced bald area in scalp and it made me so worried. Applied whatever possible and fortunately hair grew again but white !!! At least hair grew...I had to console myself.
P1 no ca/SA but mini tests every 10 weeks. Next term, there will be show n tell. This term there was a compre OE/mcq test.
No need to reach p6 and my hair is already white :frustrated: -
janet_lee88:
Take care and lots of hugsHi mummies,
I went through a rough patch last year...experienced bald area in scalp and it made me so worried. Applied whatever possible and fortunately hair grew again but white !!! At least hair grew...I had to console myself.
P1 no ca/SA but mini tests every 10 weeks. Next term, there will be show n tell. This term there was a compre OE/mcq test.
No need to reach p6 and my hair is already white :frustrated: -
janet_lee88:
I think the idea of the mini tests is that they shouldn't need to prepare much for them.Hi mummies,
I went through a rough patch last year...experienced bald area in scalp and it made me so worried. Applied whatever possible and fortunately hair grew again but white !!! At least hair grew...I had to console myself.
P1 no ca/SA but mini tests every 10 weeks. Next term, there will be show n tell. This term there was a compre OE/mcq test.
No need to reach p6 and my hair is already white :frustrated:
We test my daughter on her weekly spelling & ting xie and my m-i-l helped her prepare for her Chinese show & tell earlier in the year but for the rest of the tests we've have just left her to do it on her own. -
nms1:
For show and tell, my P1 DD's teacher will make the kids write out their show and tell in sch (those can't finish can bring home to do as homework). Then they have a trial run day, before the actual show and tell. Usually DD can do the prep all by herself (we listen to her performance and add in a sentence or two of suggestion). As for mini tests and spellings, she handled all herself as we were too busy with our P6 DS most of these periods due to CA / SA. So far she is coping ok (marks in the 90s).
I think the idea of the mini tests is that they shouldn't need to prepare much for them.janet_lee88:
Hi mummies,
I went through a rough patch last year...experienced bald area in scalp and it made me so worried. Applied whatever possible and fortunately hair grew again but white !!! At least hair grew...I had to console myself.
P1 no ca/SA but mini tests every 10 weeks. Next term, there will be show n tell. This term there was a compre OE/mcq test.
No need to reach p6 and my hair is already white :frustrated:
We test my daughter on her weekly spelling & ting xie and my m-i-l helped her prepare for her Chinese show & tell earlier in the year but for the rest of the tests we've have just left her to do it on her own.
Strongly recommend parents to get their kids to read to improve foundation. You can learn vocab / grammar etc. through the easy way of reading (acquired naturally) or through the harder way of attending lots of enrichment and doing lots of assessments when young. Yes, there will come a time when enrichment class is needed (to further enhance knowledge), but with a strong foundation through reading, it will be a lot easier. -
nms1:
The recent tests constitute 30% :faint:
I think the idea of the mini tests is that they shouldn't need to prepare much for them.janet_lee88:
Hi mummies,
P1 no ca/SA but mini tests every 10 weeks. Next term, there will be show n tell. This term there was a compre OE/mcq test.
No need to reach p6 and my hair is already white :frustrated:
We test my daughter on her weekly spelling & ting xie and my m-i-l helped her prepare for her Chinese show & tell earlier in the year but for the rest of the tests we've have just left her to do it on her own.
The CL test consist of 10 chapters and there are just 3 weeks + to revise. For Maths, numbers till 100. Don't know how she performed for the recent tests but I don't want to push her too much. Hubby feels I'm too cool about her tests. -
janet_lee88:
The recent tests constitute 30% :faint:
I think the idea of the mini tests is that they shouldn't need to prepare much for them.nms1:
[quote=\"janet_lee88\"]Hi mummies,
P1 no ca/SA but mini tests every 10 weeks. Next term, there will be show n tell. This term there was a compre OE/mcq test.
No need to reach p6 and my hair is already white :frustrated:
We test my daughter on her weekly spelling & ting xie and my m-i-l helped her prepare for her Chinese show & tell earlier in the year but for the rest of the tests we've have just left her to do it on her own.
The CL test consist of 10 chapters and there are just 3 weeks + to revise. For Maths, numbers till 100. Don't know how she performed for the recent tests but I don't want to push her too much. Hubby feels I'm too cool about her tests.[/quote]I've posted this comment somewhere else but I really think we shouldn't worry too much about these tests. They don't really count towards anything - it's supposed to help to identify what they do & don't understand not to rank them or stream them or anything. Treat it as a learning experience. -
Hi nms1,
To me, it's a brand new learning experience...P1 only right, why so jelak ? Every 10 weeks tell us parents those tests constitute 30% :faint:
Have to take it easy...still have long way to go. P1s supposed to be promoted enbloc to P2. -
Pen88n:
:goodpost:
Strongly recommend parents to get their kids to read to improve foundation. You can learn vocab / grammar etc. through the easy way of reading (acquired naturally) or through the harder way of attending lots of enrichment and doing lots of assessments when young. Yes, there will come a time when enrichment class is needed (to further enhance knowledge), but with a strong foundation through reading, it will be a lot easier.
Agree that to build good foundation for language through readiing when they are young and we really can see the benefit at the upper primary! -
janet_lee88:
Relax a little. So far your DD has already taken a few of these tests, how is she performing? Is she within class average or even above class average? If so, you can breathe a little easier and just keep to your normal routine instead of getting all wound up over all these small tests.The recent tests constitute 30% :faint:
The CL test consist of 10 chapters and there are just 3 weeks + to revise. For Maths, numbers till 100. Don't know how she performed for the recent tests but I don't want to push her too much. Hubby feels I'm too cool about her tests. -
Funz:
Janet,
Relax a little. So far your DD has already taken a few of these tests, how is she performing? Is she within class average or even above class average? If so, you can breathe a little easier and just keep to your normal routine instead of getting all wound up over all these small tests.janet_lee88:
The recent tests constitute 30% :faint:
The CL test consist of 10 chapters and there are just 3 weeks + to revise. For Maths, numbers till 100. Don't know how she performed for the recent tests but I don't want to push her too much. Hubby feels I'm too cool about her tests.
My DD has the same 30% for this P1 round too, and we leave her to handle it herself. Chinese test also Unit 1-10, and she read through units 1-5, and wrote the words in units 6-10 for revision that weekend before test. English and Maths tests she read her materials given back by her teachers.
I think we need to learn to let go and assess their standards when they are in P1 to better gauge their capabilities to handle by themselves. By P2 onwards, you will not have this \"luxury\" of letting go totally (need closer monitoring) as streaming etc. comes into play. I believe a lot of the kids are more \"capable\" than we think they are, and if we let go, they will pick it up themselves. Else they will continue to be ignorant and to lean and rely on parents totally.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better š
Register Login