Coping with Primary 1
-
Pen88n:
:goodpost:
Strongly recommend parents to get their kids to read to improve foundation. You can learn vocab / grammar etc. through the easy way of reading (acquired naturally) or through the harder way of attending lots of enrichment and doing lots of assessments when young. Yes, there will come a time when enrichment class is needed (to further enhance knowledge), but with a strong foundation through reading, it will be a lot easier.
Agree that to build good foundation for language through readiing when they are young and we really can see the benefit at the upper primary! -
janet_lee88:
Relax a little. So far your DD has already taken a few of these tests, how is she performing? Is she within class average or even above class average? If so, you can breathe a little easier and just keep to your normal routine instead of getting all wound up over all these small tests.The recent tests constitute 30% :faint:
The CL test consist of 10 chapters and there are just 3 weeks + to revise. For Maths, numbers till 100. Don't know how she performed for the recent tests but I don't want to push her too much. Hubby feels I'm too cool about her tests. -
Funz:
Janet,
Relax a little. So far your DD has already taken a few of these tests, how is she performing? Is she within class average or even above class average? If so, you can breathe a little easier and just keep to your normal routine instead of getting all wound up over all these small tests.janet_lee88:
The recent tests constitute 30% :faint:
The CL test consist of 10 chapters and there are just 3 weeks + to revise. For Maths, numbers till 100. Don't know how she performed for the recent tests but I don't want to push her too much. Hubby feels I'm too cool about her tests.
My DD has the same 30% for this P1 round too, and we leave her to handle it herself. Chinese test also Unit 1-10, and she read through units 1-5, and wrote the words in units 6-10 for revision that weekend before test. English and Maths tests she read her materials given back by her teachers.
I think we need to learn to let go and assess their standards when they are in P1 to better gauge their capabilities to handle by themselves. By P2 onwards, you will not have this \"luxury\" of letting go totally (need closer monitoring) as streaming etc. comes into play. I believe a lot of the kids are more \"capable\" than we think they are, and if we let go, they will pick it up themselves. Else they will continue to be ignorant and to lean and rely on parents totally. -
Pen88n:
Janet,
Relax a little. So far your DD has already taken a few of these tests, how is she performing? Is she within class average or even above class average? If so, you can breathe a little easier and just keep to your normal routine instead of getting all wound up over all these small tests.Funz:
[quote=\"janet_lee88\"]The recent tests constitute 30% :faint:
The CL test consist of 10 chapters and there are just 3 weeks + to revise. For Maths, numbers till 100. Don't know how she performed for the recent tests but I don't want to push her too much. Hubby feels I'm too cool about her tests.
My DD has the same 30% for this P1 round too, and we leave her to handle it herself. Chinese test also Unit 1-10, and she read through units 1-5, and wrote the words in units 6-10 for revision that weekend before test. English and Maths tests she read her materials given back by her teachers.
I think we need to learn to let go and assess their standards when they are in P1 to better gauge their capabilities to handle by themselves. By P2 onwards, you will not have this \"luxury\" of letting go totally (need closer monitoring) as streaming etc. comes into play. I believe a lot of the kids are more \"capable\" than we think they are, and if we let go, they will pick it up themselves. Else they will continue to be ignorant and to lean and rely on parents totally.[/quote] :goodpost: -
:thankyou: for sharing, mummies...
:lovesite: -
The more I read... the more stress I am..
I thought by scrapping away exams.. the purpose is to reduce stress.. :scratchhead: .. isn't it supposed to be honeymoon for the P1 kids.. time for them to settle in.. time to adjust.. time to make friends.. time to get to know the Teachers.. the school.. everything..etc.. etc
Why am I reading.. more stress instead.. -
My DS is in P1… I feel stressed up too. For his case, most of the time, date of his test is not given. He will just come back with the marked test paper, harm done. So i have to revise with him constantly…
-
:yikes: no dates given for tests!!!
then hw we prepare in advance & revise? OMG... :faint: -
rong05:
My DS is in P1... I feel stressed up too. For his case, most of the time, date of his test is not given. He will just come back with the marked test paper, harm done. So i have to revise with him constantly...
Can I just ask why this is a problem? The test results won't be used for anything that will impact his future and now you, your son & his teacher know what he doesn't understand so that you can work on it. Surely that is the purpose of these tests - to identify areas to work on not to achieve the highest mark?
Why do our children do test papers before PSLE, O levels etc? It's not to see who can score highest but so that they know where they need to work harder.
I'm not picking on you so don't take it personally but this is exactly what causes the stress - worrying about tests that are meant to help the learning process not be the ultimate objective. We can't complain about the system when we are guilty of increasing the stress. -
I am not complaining about the system because though i am stressed up, i like it. That is why i am on KS forum.
It is just that regardless… A test is a test… Even though it does not affect my son’s streaming of class in anyway, Marks reflect how well or badly my child is doing… Thus there is a need to revise constantly to make sure he knows his work in every tests… Also, as u have mentioned, after a test, it identifies the area my child is weak in to work harder on… So after every test, there is the stress to work on areas that he is weak in…
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login