Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    School Refusal

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Working With Your Child
    20 Posts 5 Posters 4.1k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • Z Offline
      ZuEn
      last edited by

      tamarind,

      I am going down to school next Wed for her bday celebration. Maybe can work out with the teacher to let her continue with her home clothes and dont even try to change her.

      smurf,
      We too wonder if she’s ready for school. She’s really shy and usually clamped up in strangers’ presence (especially adults). But we thought should be OK since things started out fine. I dont think there are occasions that she was eager to go to school but she didnt resist strongly too. It is only recently that she started refusing.
      We are more worried that if we allowed her to stop school, she wouldnt want to start again and it is seriously not easy to squeeze into popular schools in the later years. And of course, we are not sure if we are helping her to nuture her hatred for schools now.
      More importantly, I have a number 2 at home and my mum who is their main caregiver, needs her to be in school to retain some sanity. Lol.

      I am seriously not sure how to find out the source which makes her refuse school - school uniform? the school bus driver? the teachers in school? school bullies?

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • S Offline
        smurf
        last edited by

        I understand your situation. I was in this kind of dilemma. In the end, I sort of ‘force’ my boy to attend sch, whether he wants or not. His not wanting to go to sch now is the result. I would think that a church kindergarten may not be for your dd. Try searching for a smaller group school with low teacher children ratio. Find out more from the sch teacher what is going on in the sch.


        Some kids, if u persist on, they will learn that they have to go sch, whether they want or not, and they will not resist anymore but for some kids, they will end up hating going to sch. Either way, you will not get a kid that enjoy going to sch. A much effort is needed to reverse that.

        Maybe buds can advise u more? Her kids enjoyyyyy going to sch!

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • T Offline
          tamarind
          last edited by

          ZuEn,

          My girl loves going to school since N1, even though I pulled her out of playgroup when she was 2+ years old. Kids at that age will not remember what happened, there is no need to worry about nurturing hatred of school. In fact, we should worry about the constant fear and unhappiness that she experiences in school if she is not ready to be alone.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • Z Offline
            ZuEn
            last edited by

            Tamarind,

            Haiz, how I wish that my girl will love going school too.
            It is good that she goes to school too or end up watching too much TV at home.
            I have asked her if she wants to change school, which she says "no". In fact, I have call up 3 CCs that a stone throw away from my place. If need be, might switch her to one of them for half day session so that my mum will walk her to school.
            When we ask her over the weekend, she says that she likes her friends and teachers. I thought it is such a waste to change her after all the settling down. Spoke to the principal again and was assured that Dd hushed quickly even if she was crying when she arrives in school and she participates in the activities in school.
            School starts again tomorrow. Time to pull hair again.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • T Offline
              tamarind
              last edited by

              ZuEn,

              It may be that she likes school, but she is not confident to be there alone. Try asking her, if mommy or the maid stays with you throughout school, would you like to go to school ? If she happily says yes, that means it is all due to separation anxiety.

              Of course the school may not allow it. But at least you know the real reason.

              Personally I prefer to look for schools which are not that strict about disallowing parents to sit in with the child, especially since the child is only 3 years old.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • Z Offline
                ZuEn
                last edited by

                Tamarind,

                No need to ask her. I double, triple sure that her answer will be \"yes\". I had been signing up for enrichment classes and she wants me to sit in with her. Otherwise, she will rather forsake the class.
                Sadly, this is a pre-nursery class and parent/ guardian is definitely not allowed. And it seems that she is never ready. My helper sat in with her for almost a year in her previous playgroup and she still cries when my helper escape. I supposed she has to start learning somewhere? We are trying to assure her, reminding her about the good things in school and I hope that things will improve.
                We will know tomorrow. :xedfingers:

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • T Offline
                  tamarind
                  last edited by

                  ZuEn,

                  Some kids just need a very long time to be confident enough to sit in a class alone. I have heard of kids crying for half a year to one year. Many parents just bear with it. My girl’s separation anxiety is a lot worst than your girl.

                  Personally I learned my lesson with my older girl, and for my younger boy, I sent him to pre-school when he was slightly older, and he was absolutely fine.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • Z Offline
                    ZuEn
                    last edited by

                    No tantrum at all for Dd for the past few days. Why?


                    Monday:
                    School holiday

                    Tuesday:
                    I ask her to go to school to tell her teacher that mummy is going to school on Wed to celebrate her bday. No tears at all.

                    Wednesday:
                    I made her take the school bus but promised that I will turn up in school. She cried while she boarded the bus but was very much alright when I saw her in school. I tot she would insist on leaving when I had to leave after the celebration but she gladly stayed on in school until the end of the day and took the bus home.

                    Today:
                    The teachers are bringing them on an excursion. We told her about it and she was so cooperative and even willing to put on her school skirt. No tears too!

                    There is no school tomorrow.

                    So she confused me even more. Why does she refuse school lah? :faint:

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • G Offline
                      gerberadaisy
                      last edited by

                      Hi ZuEN


                      Has it occured to you that maybe it’s the teachers that she doesn’t like? I just heard from a childcare teacher friend that at the Montessori childcare centre that she used to work in, the teachers actually beat the students and that’s why some of the students refuse to step into the centre in the morning once they see the particular teacher. But the parents taught that the child’s crying is just normal and let them continue with the school. This friend of mine was so upset with the school that she left. I encourage her to complain to MCYS so that they will investigate, to ‘save’ those poor children from further harm.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                      Register Login
                      • 1
                      • 2
                      • 2 / 2
                      • First post
                        Last post



                      Online Users

                      Statistics

                      6

                      Online

                      211.2k

                      Users

                      34.5k

                      Topics

                      1.8m

                      Posts
                      Popular Topics
                      New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                      P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                      DSA Discussions and Strategies
                      PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                      How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                      SkillsFuture course recommendations

                        About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy