Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Busy Bee Learning Centre - Discussion

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Chinese
    204 Posts 112 Posters 147.2k Views 2 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • B Offline
      Busymom
      last edited by

      SAHM_TAN:
      Busymom:


      DD is there, but I don't know who are the popular teachers. We just chose the class based on a schedule that suits us.

      Her teacher appears very young and meek, and from a short encounter... I wouldn't say that I am impressed. However, she can be quite strict with the kids and even DD can be scared of her to a certain extent... so probably can't judge a book by its cover.

      By the way, we are only attending the compo class.

      May I know how long your DD has been with them? Do you see progress? Thanks

      We started last December with them for the P1 syllabus. I don't think they have started writing any compo yet, probably from P2 onwards? As she is also not required to write any compo in her primary school, honestly, I do not know how to measure any progress (plus I am also very hands-off when it comes to her lessons). She told me that she enjoys the classes, and there is also a bit of friendly competition in the class, so sometimes, she gets a slip of paper that says 第一名,第二名, etc. I could see from her weekly tingxie list that they are learning more difficult words compared to Tien Hsia, but I must honestly say that she doesn't retain 100% of those words learnt (like sometimes she forgets how to pronounce certain words when it's time for her to learn the tingxie... ok, she learns the words like 2 days before the weekly spelling, so there is an increased chance of forgetting what she has learnt one week earlier), unlike in Tien Hsia where this never happens and I don't have to do a single revision with her.

      More importantly, I went there because some friends (more than 3) told me they are good. I was also told that the amount of compo work in higher level could be quite a lot :scared: ... For me, it is still too early to tell and I am just taking a wait and see approach.

      Sorry, don't think that is of much help.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • B Offline
        Busymom
        last edited by

        On the oral element, I am still not very sure. My DD told me that she did some (or maybe just 1 time or 2?) with her teacher in busybee recently. Not sure if it is once-off. She said she learnt some words that she can use for oral test in school. :roll:

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          SAHM_TAN
          last edited by

          Busymom,


          Thanks for sharing. I'm still exploring becos I'm still considering if I could do it on my own. Plus they only have P1 classes on wkends which is something I hope to avoid. I have a month to decide. 😄

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • B Offline
            Busymom
            last edited by

            SAHM_TAN:
            I spoke to them over the phone, did not get the breakdown.


            They do not follow MOE text books. There's no oral element.

            Here's the number for the Balmoral branch, 6733 239, if you wish to find out more about their content. 😄

            They are closed on Mon - Tues.

            P1 classes are only during the wkends.
            We are on weekday. Maybe every year is different.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • B Offline
              Busymom
              last edited by

              SAHM_TAN:
              Busymom,


              Thanks for sharing. I'm still exploring becos I'm still considering if I could do it on my own. Plus they only have P1 classes on wkends which is something I hope to avoid. I have a month to decide. 😄
              I think for lower primary, you can certainly do it on your own. Plus you have got 四五快读 😉 and if you can get your child to read lots of story books on her own, it should be fine.

              I've heard of someone who quit in higher level becos' of too much homework. At the same time, another commented that can't join the higher level becos' too advanced... at the end of the day, everyone is different.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                SAHM_TAN
                last edited by

                😄 Busymon,


                You remember I have 四五快读 😄

                Yup, was hoping to follow in tamarind's footsteps 😉

                My DD1 is ok to read books, and she's ok to go through the series with me, so now trying to assess my ability :evil:

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • B Offline
                  Busymom
                  last edited by

                  SAHM_TAN:
                  😄 Busymon,


                  You remember I have 四五快读 😄

                  Yup, was hoping to follow in tamarind's footsteps 😉

                  My DD1 is ok to read books, and she's ok to go through the series with me, so now trying to assess my ability :evil:
                  Yeah... I couldn't get my DD to read Chinese story books on her own, yet. She always go for the English ones... :roll: I reckon her reading level is still not high enough to read the more interesting chinese books.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    minnie2004
                    last edited by

                    hi busymom, haven’t been on this site a while and you’re a councillor already!


                    i’m also looking for chinese enrichment classes for DD. she’s currently in berries but i just bumped into a friend recently who says it’s only good for pre-schoolers and recommends busy bees for primary levels. is it b/c their curriculum is more difficult? but i found even for berries, they’re teaching new words my DD doesn’t know, although homework is generally quite easy. so just wonder if busy bees is too much for her?

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • S Offline
                      SAHM_TAN
                      last edited by

                      Busymom:

                      Yeah... I couldn't get my DD to read Chinese story books on her own, yet. She always go for the English ones... :roll: I reckon her reading level is still not high enough to read the more interesting chinese books.
                      I know the feeling, for my DD1, it was English storybooks. Just have to hang in there and wait for her to build up the vocab. Now my DD1 is willing to plough through English storybooks with me heehee

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • B Offline
                        Busymom
                        last edited by

                        minnie2004:
                        hi busymom, haven't been on this site a while and you're a councillor already!


                        i'm also looking for chinese enrichment classes for DD. she's currently in berries but i just bumped into a friend recently who says it's only good for pre-schoolers and recommends busy bees for primary levels. is it b/c their curriculum is more difficult? but i found even for berries, they're teaching new words my DD doesn't know, although homework is generally quite easy. so just wonder if busy bees is too much for her?
                        Hi minnie2004, so glad to hear from you!!! 🕺

                        On Berries, I did read from some comments in this forum that it is good for pre-schoolers but not so for primary level. Not sure how true it is as my DD has so far only been in Tien Hsia and still is for their P1 HCL. For Busybee, we signed up for the compo class. I have a friend whose son has gone through Berries in pre-school and at some point, dropped Berries to have 1-1 home tuition. When I asked why, he said Berries wasn't sufficient. I think every child is different and maybe in this case, they didn't find the school result to be satisfactory (by the way, the child is super high-ability). I think if you are interested to try busybee, best to do so by P2, otherwise, there might be a quite a big gap for your DD to cover if she joins later. Heard this from a friend whose child is already P4 and after looking through the materials, she think her child will find busybee too difficult.

                        So far for P1 level, there is hardly any homework other than the weekly tingxie. I hardly have time to revise anything with DD, so I just leave it to her to manage. She has been doing alright for the tests at the end of each term. I think there will be more homework once they start to write compo maybe next year... :xedfingers:

                        By the way, :offtopic: here. Do you plan to continue with Yamaha after JXC? You may PM me if you prefer.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 5
                        • 6
                        • 7
                        • 20
                        • 21
                        • 5 / 21
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy