Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Primary one Prep Class - Maths

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Mathematics
    72 Posts 16 Posters 21.8k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S Offline
      sub_evo76
      last edited by

      I tried asking her to do some maths assessment books but she will tell me she is tired…dunno how to do…want me to sit down with her …but sad to say I usually end up pulling my hair and getting myself totally frustrated…:p


      So I thought it may be better for a professional ‘tutor/teacher’ to teach her instead…

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • bigsnoopyB Offline
        bigsnoopy
        last edited by

        ksi:
        YKVT:

        I heard that schools don't rank your child anymore. The children only know the top 3 students of the class. Any comments?


        It varies from school to school. Some schools completely nothing at class level except for top cohort ranking. Most schools named top 3 or even top 5 in class and also top 5-10 in cohort officially and those unranked sometimes the teachers would share with the parents unofficially too.

        I grew up with ranking every year at class and cohort level and I prefer to know than to be kept in the dark. I think it is ok to know own ranking but do not go around comparing who is at what level should be fine.

        Yes I tend to agree with you. If we know the ranking, then it give us an idea how the child fare and see if require further improvement.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • laughingcatL Offline
          laughingcat
          last edited by

          sub_evo76:
          I tried asking her to do some maths assessment books but she will tell me she is tired..dunno how to do..want me to sit down with her ..but sad to say I usually end up pulling my hair and getting myself totally frustrated..:p


          So I thought it may be better for a professional 'tutor/teacher' to teach her instead..
          IMO, it is really too early to get tutor for lower primary schoolers. Coz there may be repercussion if there are too much drilling and ended up with not much stamina by the time the child sits for PSLE.

          In your case, I think you should tackle the disciplinary first and set the right foundation and mindset first. Otherwise the child will hate studies. Perhaps you can make the learning fun and that might spur her to like \"homework\". That is my humble opinion lah.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • corneyAmberC Offline
            corneyAmber
            last edited by

            YKVT:
            ksi:

            [quote=\"YKVT\"]I heard that schools don't rank your child anymore. The children only know the top 3 students of the class. Any comments?


            It varies from school to school. Some schools completely nothing at class level except for top cohort ranking. Most schools named top 3 or even top 5 in class and also top 5-10 in cohort officially and those unranked sometimes the teachers would share with the parents unofficially too.

            I grew up with ranking every year at class and cohort level and I prefer to know than to be kept in the dark. I think it is ok to know own ranking but do not go around comparing who is at what level should be fine.

            Yes I tend to agree with you. If we know the ranking, then it give us an idea how the child fare and see if require further improvement.[/quote].

            Exactly, we are always looked upon in our relative performance and not absolute performance for placement of sec schools, so realistically ranking performance is an important indicator leading to PSLE eventually.

            My personal experience with yearly ranking during my primary school days allow me to have a good idea which school I could choose for secondary school so that was an informed decision.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • S Offline
              sub_evo76
              last edited by

              I think I am just trying to take the easiest way out cos after work, I am just so tired plus with a small baby, I simply have not much time for my dd..


              Will see how things goes..:) thanks to all who have provided comments and advice.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • H Offline
                hquek
                last edited by

                I was surprised to see a report book for DS1 this year (thought they were doing holistic assessments?) and all I saw were percentages. Have no clue what the numbers mean - is he doing fine? is he ahead of/behind his peers?


                Tried asking the teacher in a subtle manner, but didn’t get any response.

                On the part about individual tuition, I feel that since kids are at lower primary and things are supposed to be easy, I should try to ensure my kids have a solid grounding in the basics (languages esp, and then maths). This way they will have an easier time as they go up the levels…instead of knowing later that they need help in their foundations when the rest of class is at an advanced level. To achieve that, some kids may require individual attention; others do well in group classes. There is no right way about it, we’ll all have to learn to adjust as we go along.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • M Offline
                  Monster Mummy
                  last edited by

                  hquek:
                  I was surprised to see a report book for DS1 this year (thought they were doing holistic assessments?) and all I saw were percentages. Have no clue what the numbers mean - is he doing fine? is he ahead of/behind his peers?


                  Tried asking the teacher in a subtle manner, but didn't get any response.

                  On the part about individual tuition, I feel that since kids are at lower primary and things are supposed to be easy, I should try to ensure my kids have a solid grounding in the basics (languages esp, and then maths). This way they will have an easier time as they go up the levels...instead of knowing later that they need help in their foundations when the rest of class is at an advanced level. To achieve that, some kids may require individual attention; others do well in group classes. There is no right way about it, we'll all have to learn to adjust as we go along.
                  I totally as kids need to built up their foundation first else if they lagged behind. Some of them might not want to study.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • K Offline
                    kitty2
                    last edited by

                    sub_evo76:
                    Hi all,


                    Grateful if anyone can recommend good prep class for P1 maths. I've been looking ard but most classes include english as well. I am looking for lessons for maths only. Do let me know if you have any recommendations. Thanks much.
                    I've PM you

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • S Offline
                      sub_evo76
                      last edited by

                      Thanks Kitty2.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • bigsnoopyB Offline
                        bigsnoopy
                        last edited by

                        kitty2:
                        sub_evo76:

                        Hi all,


                        Grateful if anyone can recommend good prep class for P1 maths. I've been looking ard but most classes include english as well. I am looking for lessons for maths only. Do let me know if you have any recommendations. Thanks much.

                        I've PM you

                        can you PM me too? i like to now as well. Thanks.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 5
                        • 6
                        • 7
                        • 8
                        • 3 / 8
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        thebottomsupblogT
                        thebottomsupblog
                        koalatteK
                        koalatte

                        Statistics

                        10

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy