Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Q&A - P1 Math

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary 1
    293 Posts 87 Posters 170.3k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • O Offline
      optimistforum
      last edited by

      Hi SAHM_TAN


      I am struggling to get him to do somethinglike 2+ [] = 5. So I use fruit, marbles or toys. Just need to know what other parents do to teach subtraction.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • S Offline
        SAHM_TAN
        last edited by

        optimistforum:
        Hi SAHM_TAN


        I am struggling to get him to do somethinglike 2+ [] = 5. So I use fruit, marbles or toys. Just need to know what other parents do to teach subtraction.

        My kid is still in kindy. In the beginning will use concrete way to show what is subtraction. Later then write it out. I just use striaghtforward
        4 - 2 . I think when a child see addition sign, some child might just add not understanding that must use 5 - 2. Or u want to use number bonds to explain the relationship?

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • O Offline
          optimistforum
          last edited by

          Funnily, enough I did use number-bonds but the "penny-dropping" moment has still not happened.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • S Offline
            SAHM_TAN
            last edited by

            optimistforum:
            Funnily, enough I did use number-bonds but the \"penny-dropping\" moment has still not happened.

            Does he know how to subtract?

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • O Offline
              optimistforum
              last edited by

              Hi SAHM_TAN


              Yes, he can subtract (up to 10). I guess we need to practise more.

              We are working through the EPH Book, Step by Step P1 Maths. Hopefully, repetition of maths exercises will do the trick.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                SAHM_TAN
                last edited by

                wait for the penny to drop šŸ˜„


                Today is sun, maybe on Mon, when more parents are online they will post better suggestions šŸ˜„

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • O Offline
                  optimistforum
                  last edited by

                  No worries, I posted this last week, so I have perservered till now.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • laughingcatL Offline
                    laughingcat
                    last edited by

                    optimistforum:


                    I am struggling to get him to do somethinglike 2+ [] = 5. So I use fruit, marbles or toys. Just need to know what other parents do to teach subtraction.

                    Hi optimistforum,

                    For this kind of question, I get my DS to draw the number bond in the beginning. What i do is to explain to him what are the symbols means and where is the biggest number. After awhile, he got the hands of it and do not need to draw the number bonds for visualization. My simple advice and hopefully it helps.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • W Offline
                      worriedmumz
                      last edited by

                      I noticed in some of the P1 Math assessment books that they have started teaching

                      quite high level questions. My friends say it is simple heuristics. There is nothing simple about those questions. How to get our kids ready for that?

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • laughingcatL Offline
                        laughingcat
                        last edited by

                        worriedmumz:
                        I noticed in some of the P1 Math assessment books that they have started teaching

                        quite high level questions. My friends say it is simple heuristics. There is nothing simple about those questions. How to get our kids ready for that?

                        IMO, get the child to develop literacy first. Today's maths is about testing the competency of language as well.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 11
                        • 12
                        • 13
                        • 14
                        • 15
                        • 29
                        • 30
                        • 13 / 30
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy