Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Is Groupon a scam?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Money Matters
    232 Posts 98 Posters 94.9k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • F Offline
      Fairy
      last edited by

      BigDevil:
      Some time ago, I bought 2 groupons for discount at a noodle place located in nex.


      Went to nex this past weekend, intending to use the 2 groupons...only to find the place had already gone out of business.

      Emailed Groupon yesterday for refund, and received reply today that the paid amount will be credited to my CC within 5 days.
      Just to share:

      I have bought Groupon's coupons for Food offers several times already. So far, no issue. I usually make it a point to use the coupons soon after I've bought them. Twice, I've bought coupons offered by saloons, for hair treatments/colour. One was an upmarket saloon at Ngee Ann City, the other operates a chain of saloons at heartlands. Apart from the initial unhappiness with the difficulty at booking an appointment with the heartland one and the need to 'top up' another $10 for a 'better' type of treatment cream, I have no issue with the purchases.

      My purchase of a facial/spa voucher from Groupon is my only 'bad buy'. The voucher was supossed to be valid for 6 months. However, when I called the centre to make appointment, I was told they were already fully booked till 4 months later. The person who attended to my call for appointment was also quite evasive. I smelled a rat immediately. Fortunately, Groupon accepted my reasoning when I requested for a refund. The money was also refunded to my credit card within a short while. For this, I was quite impressed with their professionalism.

      My first coupon purchase with Deal.com.sg will be my last. I bought a voucher for a Mistral induction cooker. When I went Thomson Plaza to collect the cooker, i was told they don't issue receipt and I have to go online to register for its waranty within a week. Since it did not cost a lot of money, I did not bother to register. When I decided to use it a month later, I realised that the appliance is faulty!

      I will still continue to patronise Groupon. But only for food deals that I can redeem immediately and from reputable vendors and no travel deal for me.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • S Offline
        smurf
        last edited by

        bought a groupon voucher for a particular jap BBQ at united square (think you would have guess which one)...the portion is not a lot, give a lot of rice (haha...) and the attitude of the staff is :nunchuk: . no service at all (still got the nerve to charge tip!) and the staff look at you as if you dun have $$$ to pay. very disappointed. won't buy for food anymore.


        as for spa, tried one at plaza sing, surprisingly, it was quite good and no hard sell also. so I guess it depends on which centre/branch you go to.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • jedamumJ Offline
          jedamum
          last edited by

          smurf:
          bought a groupon voucher for a particular jap BBQ at united square (think you would have guess which one)...the portion is not a lot, give a lot of rice (haha...) and the attitude of the staff is :nunchuk: . no service at all (still got the nerve to charge tip!) and the staff look at you as if you dun have $$$ to pay. very disappointed. won't buy for food anymore.


          as for spa, tried one at plaza sing, surprisingly, it was quite good and no hard sell also. so I guess it depends on which centre/branch you go to.
          smurf,
          we bought for a certain coffee/cake/dessert outlet (expiring in March) and we went to 2 separate outlet, both giving us good service (even one with excellent service). 🙂 we'll still go for food vouchers that does not need advance booking or specific timeslot.
          my husband told me to avoid Jap buffet voucher cos they will usually limit to certain coloured plates with lots of rice or noodles. 😓

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • S Offline
            smurf
            last edited by

            Think voucher for cafe, outlet, fast food still ok. But try to avoid restaurants.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • D Offline
              dovetail
              last edited by

              I’ve good experience with groupon so far. I bought 2 Soopadooba Beanbags at $156 each (original $269). The quality great. Super comfie.


              Also bought 2 Mophie Juicepack Plus. It’s a alternate battery source for the iphone4. Wanted to get them in DEC10 for xmas for ds and dh but cost around $150 each to buy online from states. Groupon deal was $56 each, it was a great bargain!

              All the items came in well and service was good.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • K Offline
                kayemoss
                last edited by

                So far, so good on the vouchers i purchased from them. Only thing is the merchant might hard sell their services.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • S Offline
                  Sunshine lady
                  last edited by

                  so far was good for f&b deals in the past year but now very sianz.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • S Offline
                    sweetiepie
                    last edited by

                    Bought some f&b coupons the first time. After trying out, never think of doing it again. The steamboat served exclude seafoods, must top up to full price for adults n children.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • M Offline
                      micollh
                      last edited by

                      i bought few of this canvas photo 30cmx 30cm in Nov 2011 vouvher, and i’ve sent the photo following the instructions, no confirmation and so on, i emailed them they said will feedback within 72 hours, no reply…did that few times… same… i even email to groupon to feedback on ther service… no reply from groupon too… so i not sure when will i get my photo… it says 4 to 6 weeks… finger cross

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • V Offline
                        vicki
                        last edited by

                        Bought Groupons a few times (for the reputable companies) and had no problem thus far. If i rem correctly, my purchases were:-

                        1) 4 MPH $10 for $20 voucher
                        2) Some Waraku vouchers
                        4) 5 Pizza Hut vouchers (for the half px pasta) and most recently,
                        5) 8 Coffee Club $10 for $20 vouchers

                        Have used everything without any problem...

                        So i guess - just gotto be very selective of the merchant offering the deal. 🙂

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 5
                        • 6
                        • 23
                        • 24
                        • 4 / 24
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy