Mindstretcher - Discussion
-
Gina Wee:
Oh that sounds bad! I'm looking at P1 Preparatory classes (my son is just K2 now :p) and the last thing I want is to create a negative impression on my boy for such external academic classes!
Hi LDmom,LDmom:
Hi Gina, thanks a lot for your honest sharing! The student ratio is indeed better for KRTC. I didn't find out about the make-up lessons for both centres though. Thanks for this tip, I had better enquire as well.
So is your child back with KRTC again? Is it Junction 10 branch?
Thanks!
No, the MS teachers' comments had impact him, he has refused to take up any tuitions. Now I am looking into Superstar teachers as he was keen on. Have you tried it as the review was pretty good.
I've heard about Superstar Teacher but only from TV ads. But since its just to prep him for P1, maybe not in my consideration at this stage. I'm just looking for somewhere nearer to home.
-
There is Online trial lesson, and perhaps you can sit down with your son to try out. Their lesson begins from P1 to sec 2. Initially I wasn’t very keen and thought it was just a normal e-learning. But after we tried, I find that this is as good as going to tuition centre, especially my son who is having short span of attention. Importantly, he likes it as he has asked me to log in everyday. The testimonial was good too, so I decided to give a try. Hopefully this can help him.
-
Hi mummies,
Any one has writer tool box notes that you want to sell it or give away?
Let me know if you have, thanks!!! Any level is fine with me.
Cheers. -
Anyone has feedback mind stretecher bishan n safra. Is it good. Tks
-
Anyone has feedback mind stretecher bishan n safra. Is it good. Tks
-
My child has been with MS bishan for 3yrs. Teachers vary but most that my child has gone through r pretty ok. This year’s tr is even giving v regular feedback on child progress via email or hp.
-
Anyone can share feedback on P3 and P4 writer toolbox course? Does it help to improve your child’s compo grades? Thanks.
-
FantasyLandDreams:
feedback on P3 & P4 writer toolbox? Does it help to improve your child's compo grades?
Hi,
I've only used MS' Writer's Toolbox (WT) & I like their course structure very much.
>Does it help to improve your child's compo grades?
Yes, of course.
This is a summary for P3 WT sometime back. Now tt e new PSLE EL Paper 1 format has been tested, I assume MS curriculum would have been updated.
Then, there were mainly these components:-
(1) Writing Skills
Examples: Simile, Alliteration
(2) Descriptive Skills
(3) Model Compositions
Topics like: Catching a snake; An unforgettable incident; Accident; Snatch theft; Attacked by hornets; An unusual pet; Robbed at home; Strange creature; A distressing experience; Feelings; A mischievous act; Crash in living room; Slipped in the rain
(4) Writing Assessment
~once a semester
(5) Spelling
~monthly; ~10 phrases each time extracted from model compositions
However, e course seems targeted at High Ability/motivated learners; for average children they may feel stressed at e quick pacing. -
Hi, not sure if you have read my previous comment? My child has attended both KRTC and MS and due to the time conflict, I have switched him from KRTC to MS this year. Importantly, the teachers at KRTC is much more passion and understanding. Yes, in terms of the fees, MS is cheaper, but looking at the overall. The student ratio is 16/class and KRTC is 5-8 and the teachers are not able to cope such a big group as per my experience. Not to forget, the makeup lesson is flexible. Unlike MS, it is NO unless school letter of activity or MC to verify but subject to the availability of others class. I have a hard time to get my refund back even though my child was asked to go for immediate withdrawal and the attitude of the management is pretty bad. Lastly, I would like to emphasize again that the acceptance of high score as a misleading of their popularity. The teachers have claimed that their paper is very challenging and majority students have failed, so what do you think if the children will lose interest in the long run?[/quote]
Hi Gina, thanks a lot for your honest sharing! The student ratio is indeed better for KRTC. I didn't find out about the make-up lessons for both centres though. Thanks for this tip, I had better enquire as well.
So is your child back with KRTC again? Is it Junction 10 branch?
Thanks![/quote]
Hi LDmom,
No, the MS teachers' comments had impact him, he has refused to take up any tuitions. Now I am looking into Superstar teachers as he was keen on. Have you tried it as the review was pretty good.[/quote]
Hi mummies, I am not siding MS but I think it depends on the teachers individually. My nephew is in anchorvale cc for p5 maths and I've heard from him the teacher guides the lower ability students and gets them to try questions they can do rather than the whole paper. So I guess it really depends ba :)Jia u
-
Our children have been learning in Mind Stretcher Bishan for years. In the past, things seem ok.
Share my sad story. Recently, we find that in our boys file folders, many of the work sheets serial numbers are not connected, eg. after comprehension 1, comes comprehension 6. Comprehension 2,3,4,5 are missing. Such cases occur in many contents include, composition, synthesis & transforation, grammar, vocabulary,etc. Totally more than 10 worksheets not found.
After checking with other children/parents, and the mind stretcher bishan branch having investigated other boys file folders, and a meeting with teacher and center, all the parties found the fact that some of these(from week 2 to week 20+) were with teacher for months, never been returned to students after done, thus, never been explained. Some of the missing ones, had never been given to students to do. The teacher is said to have been teaching in MS for 3 years is currently taking many classes there.
The fact was astonishing. Our children spent time in MS class but didn't receive quality teaching for half a year. And the result is their SA1 English results downgraded from English former A* to band 2. If we had not checked the files and discover this problem by chance, we would never know it, then this circumstance will continue and the teacher may remain to be regarded as good, qualified, responsible. We take it as a serious problem and requested extra lesson to make up for the content not covered immediately without causing negative effects to any latter lessons; and replace the teacher. We also advised MS to inform all the parents of the class, most of whom are still not aware.
They are saying that the teacher is good and responsible, having been there for years. But as an experienced teacher he should have known before he did that what he did is not allowed. How could we trust him? They are saying that such cases never happened before. Once is enough. The time we wasted can never come back. And as nobody has checked before, there are no evidence to say such cases had happened or not. You won't discover the fact unless you check it even though the fact is always there. Is it a small possibility matter or a common one? Are there any worksheets missing from your child's Mind Stretcher file folders? Please check it to ensure that you get the equivalent valuable lessons to the money you paid and the time you spent.
The case has been reported to MS vice president but till now no satisfactory reply has been received. One investigation after another. Anyone could give any advice? What will you do if you were one of the parents? Very frustrating
and :mad:
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login