Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Q&A - PSLE Math

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary 6 & PSLE
    9.3k Posts 673 Posters 4.1m Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M Offline
      Muffins
      last edited by

      liketoeat:
      Tang:

      [quote=\"liketoeat\"]To all the gurus,


      I need clarification for the following question:

      5/13 of a rectangular tank, 64 cm long, 30 cm wide and 65 cm high, was filled with water.
      a) If 14.4 litre of water is poured into the tank, what would be the height of the water in the tank now?
      b) Water is then poured into the tank at the rate of 480 cubic cm per minute. How long would it take for the tank to be completely filled? express your answer in h.

      Do we take the height found in (a) to get the answer for (b) or do we treat (a) and (b) separately?

      Thank you.


      Hello,

      a) should have been written as:

      a) When 14.4 litre of water was poured into the tank, what would be the height of the water in the tank then?

      Use new height for part (b)

      or

      a) If 14.4 litre of water had been poured into the tank, what would be the height of the water in the tank?

      Use old height for part (b)

      Hi Tang,

      Your reply and Dharma's reply aren't the same so I'm still confuse.

      When I first started doing the question, I treated the 2 parts separately because of the word 'if'. Then, when I read Dharma's solution, I realised that he treated the 2 parts one after the other because of the word 'then'.

      Perhaps 'if' should not be used in this question otherwise there'll be 2 solutions....

      Thank you for your response.[/quote]Hi liketoeat,

      Sorry to intrude, but I think Tang's method is the correct one, as the 14.4 litres were not actually put into the tank. I think the purpose of the \"then\" is to move it to another timeframe, as it does not want to confuse you about the \"if\". On the whole, I think that the question is quite ambiguous, but Tang's answer hinges more on my gut feeling that it is correct.

      Maybe Tianzhu can be the tie-breaker? :idea:

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • L Offline
        liketoeat
        last edited by

        Muffins:
        liketoeat:

        [quote=\"Tang\"]

        Hello,

        a) should have been written as:

        a) When 14.4 litre of water was poured into the tank, what would be the height of the water in the tank then?

        Use new height for part (b)

        or

        a) If 14.4 litre of water had been poured into the tank, what would be the height of the water in the tank?

        Use old height for part (b)

        Hi Tang,

        Your reply and Dharma's reply aren't the same so I'm still confuse.

        When I first started doing the question, I treated the 2 parts separately because of the word 'if'. Then, when I read Dharma's solution, I realised that he treated the 2 parts one after the other because of the word 'then'.

        Perhaps 'if' should not be used in this question otherwise there'll be 2 solutions....

        Thank you for your response.

        Hi liketoeat,

        Sorry to intrude, but I think Tang's method is the correct one, as the 14.4 litres were not actually put into the tank. I think the purpose of the \"then\" is to move it to another timeframe, as it does not want to confuse you about the \"if\". On the whole, I think that the question is quite ambiguous, but Tang's answer hinges more on my gut feeling that it is correct.

        Maybe Tianzhu can be the tie-breaker? :idea:[/quote]Thank you Muffins. Let's hope others can enlighten us on this once and for all. Thanks again.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          Muffins
          last edited by

          liketoeat:
          Muffins:

          [quote=\"liketoeat\"]
          Hi Tang,

          Your reply and Dharma's reply aren't the same so I'm still confuse.

          When I first started doing the question, I treated the 2 parts separately because of the word 'if'. Then, when I read Dharma's solution, I realised that he treated the 2 parts one after the other because of the word 'then'.

          Perhaps 'if' should not be used in this question otherwise there'll be 2 solutions....

          Thank you for your response.

          Hi liketoeat,

          Sorry to intrude, but I think Tang's method is the correct one, as the 14.4 litres were not actually put into the tank. I think the purpose of the \"then\" is to move it to another timeframe, as it does not want to confuse you about the \"if\". On the whole, I think that the question is quite ambiguous, but Tang's answer hinges more on my gut feeling that it is correct.

          Maybe Tianzhu can be the tie-breaker? :idea:

          Thank you Muffins. Let's hope others can enlighten us on this once and for all. Thanks again.[/quote]Anytime! (BTW, your moniker makes me hungry! :))

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • F Offline
            firebird
            last edited by

            Dear Dharma


            Good evening.

            First I have to tell you that i sincerely appreciate your help.

            I am unable to follow your working (posted on 23 June 2010 for my doubts) for Question 1 rasied by me. This question refers to Melvin, Tomas and Jack taking out coins from piggy bank.

            My doubts are:
            1) How many biggy banks are there.
            2) Why 4/5 X 795 = 636
            And then 795 - 636 = 159

            What I worked out from the solution given by you as I was totally lost before was this:
            Let Thomas be T, Melvin be M, Jack be J

            Given T + J = 795
            Given M + T = 5/13
            Given J + M = 4/5

            So J + T = 2 - 5/13 - 4/5 = 52/65
            53u = 795
            u = 15

            Then J - M = (J+T) - (J+M) = 53/65 - 4/5
            = 53/65 - 52/65
            = 795 - 780(52x15)
            = 15

            What i am getting is 15.

            I know i am wrong.

            Please guide me. New or addtional method to derive a solution is most welcome.

            Thank you.
            Firebird

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • T Offline
              Tang
              last edited by

              firebird:
              Dear Dharma


              Good evening.

              First I have to tell you that i sincerely appreciate your help.

              I am unable to follow your working (posted on 23 June 2010 for my doubts) for Question 1 rasied by me. This question refers to Melvin, Tomas and Jack taking out coins from piggy bank.

              My doubts are:
              1) How many biggy banks are there.
              2) Why 4/5 X 795 = 636
              And then 795 - 636 = 159

              What I worked out from the solution given by you as I was totally lost before was this:
              Let Thomas be T, Melvin be M, Jack be J

              Given T + J = 795
              Given M + T = 5/13
              Given J + M = 4/5

              So J + T = 2 - 5/13 - 4/5 = 52/65
              53u = 795
              u = 15

              Then J - M = (J+T) - (J+M) = 53/65 - 4/5
              = 53/65 - 52/65
              = 795 - 780(52x15)
              = 15

              What i am getting is 15.

              I know i am wrong.

              Please guide me. New or addtional method to derive a solution is most welcome.

              Thank you.
              Firebird
              Hello,

              I hope I am fully awake.

              \"Then J - M = (J+T) - (J+M) = 53/65 - 4/5\"

              (J+T) - (J+M) = T - M [and not (J - M)].

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • F Offline
                firebird
                last edited by

                Dear Tang


                Good morning.

                You are correct. It shoud be T - M as per question.

                I am very sorry for the typing error.

                Thank you.
                Firebird

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • D Offline
                  Dharma
                  last edited by

                  firebird:
                  Dear Dharma


                  Good evening.

                  First I have to tell you that i sincerely appreciate your help.

                  I am unable to follow your working (posted on 23 June 2010 for my doubts) for Question 1 rasied by me. This question refers to Melvin, Tomas and Jack taking out coins from piggy bank.

                  My doubts are:
                  1) How many biggy banks are there.
                  2) Why 4/5 X 795 = 636
                  And then 795 - 636 = 159

                  What I worked out from the solution given by you as I was totally lost before was this:
                  Let Thomas be T, Melvin be M, Jack be J

                  Given T + J = 795
                  Given M + T = 5/13
                  Given J + M = 4/5

                  So J + T = 2 - 5/13 - 4/5 = 52/65
                  53u = 795
                  u = 15

                  Then J - M = (J+T) - (J+M) = 53/65 - 4/5
                  = 53/65 - 52/65
                  = 795 - 780(52x15)
                  = 15

                  What i am getting is 15.

                  I know i am wrong.

                  Please guide me. New or addtional method to derive a solution is most welcome.

                  Thank you.
                  Firebird
                  Hi firebird,

                  Your answer is correct. I'm sorry abt the careless mistake and thanks for pointing it out and now have amended the solution.

                  Q1)
                  Melvin & Thomas => 5/13
                  Jack & Melvin => 4/5
                  Jack & Thomas = > 2 – 5/13 – 4/5 = 53/65
                  53u = 795
                  1u = 15

                  Diff = 53u – 52u = 1u = 15 (Thomas took out Melvin 15 more coins than Melvin)

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • F Offline
                    firebird
                    last edited by

                    Dear Dharma


                    Good morning.

                    Many thanks for your answer.

                    Your help is very much appreciated.

                    With best regards
                    firebird

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • T Offline
                      Tang
                      last edited by

                      firebird:

                      1) Melvin, Thomas and Jack put some coins in a piggy bank. They wanted to donate some money to the charity, so Thomas and Jack took out 795 coins. Melvin and Thomas took out 5/13 of the coins from their piggy bank. Jack and Melvin took out 4/5 of the coins from their piggy bank. How many more coins did Thomas take than Melvin?
                      T + J --> 795 coins

                      M + T --> 5/13 = 25/65

                      M + J --> 4/5 = 52/65

                      2 M + T + J --> 25/65 + 52/65 = 77/65

                      1 M --> 77/65 - 65/65 = 12/65 (since M + T + J = 1 = 65/65)

                      2 M --> 12/65 x 2 = 24/65

                      T --> 25/65 - 12/65 = 13/65

                      T - M --> 13/65 - 12/65 = 1/65

                      T + J --> 77/65 - 24/65 = 53/65

                      53 u --> 795 coins

                      1 u --> 795/53 = 15 coins

                      Thomas took 15 more coins than Melvin.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • L Offline
                        liketoeat
                        last edited by

                        [/quote]


                        Anytime! (BTW, your moniker makes me hungry! :))[/quote]


                        yours too, muffins, yumyum

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 139
                        • 140
                        • 141
                        • 142
                        • 143
                        • 931
                        • 932
                        • 141 / 932
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        8

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy