Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Is GEP really necessary?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved GEP
    1.5k Posts 104 Posters 447.9k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • V Offline
      verykiasu2010
      last edited by

      Way2GO:
      2ppaamm:


      And, one more point. It was a blessing for Lim Jeck not to be in GEP. His circumstances is unique. If he were in GEP, he would have no time with his parents to work on his love for Math, he would have spent time with his teachers (or rather, tutors) struggling with English. As a mainstreamer, he gets normal work and he gets time to pursue his Math. So everything worked out well for Lim Jeck. So Lim Jeck is where he is BECAUSE (not inspite of) he is not in GEP. But again, not every child has Mathematician parents like the Lims.

      Agreed dat if LJ was in GEP, he wld hv diverted much time to cope with English n perhaps MT which he cld otherwise hv use more productively to nurture his interest in Maths. So fr dat perspective, d GEP selection was not wrong, right?
      Its quite obvious d term 'gifted' in GEP has to be taken with a large dollop of salt since it is statistically impossible to hv 500+ truly gifted kids consistently every year.
      As u n some here hv nailed it, these 1% of each cohort r being trained n tracked to hopefully provide d numbers to continue to drive d economy n help in d administration of dis country in future.

      have you read the comments from LJ's other subject teachers from NUSH on him ? go read and have fun !!

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • W Offline
        Way2GO
        last edited by

        Nebbermind:
        Exactly! Their objectives have always been different from what we thought! Everything they told us is just a smokescreen! πŸ˜„
        I wouldn't go so far as to say GEB/MOE deliberately hookwink parents.
        Though not explicitly mentioned, many wld hv come to d realization on their own dat d GEP system is there to serve a greater purpose than just nurture only truly gifted children who r few n far between.
        Nebbermind:

        Anyway, if LJ doesn't fit into GEP, then he will not fit into a rigid SG system! He's as good as gone when he leaves for some US uni!
        There was Ainan Cawley who left for Malaysia. Any updates on how he has coped since he left?

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • W Offline
          Way2GO
          last edited by

          verykiasu2010:

          have you read the comments from LJ's other subject teachers from NUSH on him ? go read and have fun !!
          Nope. Can please provide d link(s)? Danke.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • 2 Offline
            2ppaamm
            last edited by

            ksi:
            2ppaamm, if the time is right and if there is a chance one day I will explain it to you. Suffice to say now, the good reason I talk about for keeping mum in general is a noble one...so go along the line of positive thinking. You have hit on quite a number of valid points, just have not put the whole picture together to see the rationale.

            Haha... actually, I am at a point where I think I am spending too much time on something I have no interest in anymore, which is the GEP. I have already decided it is a waste of my time, and that it actually hampers my kids' development. I have also decided my youngest won't even sit for the tests, knowing it does not benefit him at all.

            So, I am going to focus my effort on more productive stuff. All these are just academic discussions for me. I do believe you have been sold to some valid and noble reasons. Suffice to say such reasons does not add to the education of giftedness as the branch is supposed to do. Maybe for other reasons that I am not privy to, which is not important to me at the moment. Whatever the purpose of GEP is unknown to me, and since it is such a top secret, we the common man have to just guess and speculate, which I think should never be the case. We have been told the purpose is to raise gifted children, but have we been misled? Don't know, don't even bother. I'm off to prepare lunch! :siam:

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • 2 Offline
              2ppaamm
              last edited by

              πŸ˜†

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • corneyAmberC Offline
                corneyAmber
                last edited by

                Way2GO:


                I wouldn't go so far as to say GEB/MOE deliberately hookwink parents.
                Though not explicitly mentioned, many wld hv come to d realization on their own dat d GEP system is there to serve a greater purpose than just nurture only truly gifted children who r few n far between.
                I agree with this. They benefit nothing to hoodwink the parents.

                ps: Way2go, was your spelling error deliberate? :evil:

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • V Offline
                  verykiasu2010
                  last edited by

                  Way2GO:
                  verykiasu2010:


                  have you read the comments from LJ's other subject teachers from NUSH on him ? go read and have fun !!

                  Nope. Can please provide d link(s)? Danke.

                  read from his blog, maintained by his mum, some time back, at least last year.

                  the blog is something like \"dontmesswith6a\"

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • corneyAmberC Offline
                    corneyAmber
                    last edited by

                    2ppaamm:
                    ksi:

                    2ppaamm, if the time is right and if there is a chance one day I will explain it to you. Suffice to say now, the good reason I talk about for keeping mum in general is a noble one...so go along the line of positive thinking. You have hit on quite a number of valid points, just have not put the whole picture together to see the rationale.


                    Haha... actually, I am at a point where I think I am spending too much time on something I have no interest in anymore, which is the GEP. I have already decided it is a waste of my time, and that it actually hampers my kids' development. I have also decided my youngest won't even sit for the tests, knowing it does not benefit him at all.

                    So, I am going to focus my effort on more productive stuff. All these are just academic discussions for me. I do believe you have been sold to some valid and noble reasons. Suffice to say such reasons does not add to the education of giftedness as the branch is supposed to do. Maybe for other reasons that I am not privy to, which is not important to me at the moment. Whatever the purpose of GEP is unknown to me, and since it is such a top secret, we the common man have to just guess and speculate, which I think should never be the case. We have been told the purpose is to raise gifted children, but have we been misled? Don't know, don't even bother. I'm off to prepare lunch! :siam:

                    Actually I can see that you are doing the right things for your children. Your mother's instinct for your children would still be the best and your efforts will never be futile. :hugs:

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • 2 Offline
                      2ppaamm
                      last edited by

                      ksi:
                      Way2GO:



                      I wouldn't go so far as to say GEB/MOE deliberately hookwink parents.
                      Though not explicitly mentioned, many wld hv come to d realization on their own dat d GEP system is there to serve a greater purpose than just nurture only truly gifted children who r few n far between.

                      I agree with this. They benefit nothing to hoodwink the parents.

                      ps: Way2go, was your spelling error deliberate? :evil:

                      :rotflmao: it looks deliberate to me!! πŸ˜†

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • A Offline
                        ammonite
                        last edited by

                        Interesting conversation here. I wonder why some gifted kids thrive in the programme and others don’t. Does it work better for moderately gifted kids and HA kids, and not for PG and 2E kids? But again, there have been PG and 2E kids who went through the programme right? But I think our primary schools do not cater at all to kids who are little philosophers or tinkerers. They need either a very thick skin or to develope their own mental capsule to get through the grind.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 31
                        • 32
                        • 33
                        • 34
                        • 35
                        • 153
                        • 154
                        • 33 / 154
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy