Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    [Bukit Timah] Primary Schools

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary Schools - Selection & Registration
    2.6k Posts 324 Posters 1.2m Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • G Offline
      greenbean2011
      last edited by

      if you stay in serangoon, why not consider Rosyth primary ?


      a) it is much nearer yr hse.

      b) Rosyth standard very high.
      comparable to Taonan, rgps (these 2 you mention you are considering).

      c) co-ed.

      perhaps call up Rosyth - tell them where you stay, ask them if you offer PV, what is yr chance like ? any balloting still required ? If chance is high, write in to offer PV.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • D Offline
        deardear07
        last edited by

        greenbean2011:
        if you stay in serangoon, why not consider Rosyth primary ?


        a) it is much nearer yr hse.

        b) Rosyth standard very high.
        comparable to Taonan, rgps (these 2 you mention you are considering).

        c) co-ed.

        perhaps call up Rosyth - tell them where you stay, ask them if you offer PV, what is yr chance like ? any balloting still required ? If chance is high, write in to offer PV.
        Rosyth is jussssst outside 2km...sigh.if they didn't move yrs ago,i would definitely enrol there. I called yrs ago when my daughter was v young n enquired on pv but they said they dun accept...So i gave up pv route. And itz in a different grc frm e one tat im serving...so my chances =0.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • A Offline
          autumnbronze
          last edited by

          Hi deardear07,


          The teachers may not be 'relaxed' at Yangzheng.

          But just to share ....

          My MIL gives tuition to some of the kids from there and she tells me that the standard of the test and exam papers are high. And she's been giving tuition for 30 years.

          Also, its a very established school with over 100 years of history and the pupils seem to have consistently done well.

          From my preliminary view of the website, their programmes are varied and also seem to cater to the ability of the pupils. For instance, I found out that the higher ability pupils participate in certain programmes organized by the EL dept. And because I live near the area for many years now, I have yet to see any sort of major rowdy behaviour from the kids outside the area of the school compound ....

          Inputs can be subjective. I suggest that you should take a look at their website, go to Parents Networking to visit the YangZheng thread to ask specific questions there, visit them during their open house and apply for PV just to get a feel. In fact, if you live near the school, you can also make an attempt to speak to some of the parents or pupils outside before or after school. I did that before I enrolled my DS for kindy and I intend to do that before he enters primary school.

          I am also considering this school too, apart from 3 other schools and one of them is a popular school. At the end of the day, if YZ satisfies my criteria, I may not even apply to the popular school because that may mean moving, whereas YZ is just walking distance away.

          Just my 2 cents 😄

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • janet88J Offline
            janet88
            last edited by

            deardear07:
            Pardon me but i have other considerations... Like dual gender better for exposure or stick to single gender n keep my dd away from too many boys...typical protective mother over daughter huh? Then comes my son...siblings r close...duno to put him with sister or... And also of coz his exposure to girls.

            I've always wanted my daughter to be in a single gender school...by chance (and luck), I was from all girls' school and hubby agreed to register her there. No point putting her in same school as son as P1/2 is in afternoon session and son is already in P5. With both in diff sessions, it will be harder for them to bond although it spells chaos on weekday afternoons.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • D Offline
              deardear07
              last edited by

              autumnbronze:
              Hi deardear07,


              The teachers may not be 'relaxed' at Yangzheng.

              But just to share ....

              My MIL gives tuition to some of the kids from there and she tells me that the standard of the test and exam papers are high. And she's been giving tuition for 30 years.

              Also, its a very established school with over 100 years of history and the pupils seem to have consistently done well.

              From my preliminary view of the website, their programmes are varied and also seem to cater to the ability of the pupils. For instance, I found out that the higher ability pupils participate in certain programmes organized by the EL dept. And because I live near the area for many years now, I have yet to see any sort of major rowdy behaviour from the kids outside the area of the school compound ....

              Inputs can be subjective. I suggest that you should take a look at their website, go to Parents Networking to visit the YangZheng thread to ask specific questions there, visit them during their open house and apply for PV just to get a feel. In fact, if you live near the school, you can also make an attempt to speak to some of the parents or pupils outside before or after school. I did that before I enrolled my DS for kindy and I intend to do that before he enters primary school.

              I am also considering this school too, apart from 3 other schools and one of them is a popular school. At the end of the day, if YZ satisfies my criteria, I may not even apply to the popular school because that may mean moving, whereas YZ is just walking distance away.

              Just my 2 cents 😄
              Wow,i surfed their website so many times but didn't see info on higher ability students taking additional stuff...only for EL? Or for other subjects?

              Hw would u compare YZ to Kuo chuan?can advise?

              Just curious,if they r gd,then y r they not enjoying high takeup rates...i did notice that their psle results were good these few yrs,with quite a number of children scoring 275 and abv...

              YZ's cca is interesting,i must say...nwadays pri schs have so many activities...

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • janet88J Offline
                janet88
                last edited by

                HI Parents,

                I didn’t expect P1 take-up rate at Pei Hwa to be so ‘hot’ last year…ie 2010 registration for 2011 intake. Phase 1 and 2A2 must have taken up many places, which is why balloting was required for those staying within 1km.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • A Offline
                  autumnbronze
                  last edited by

                  deardear07:
                  autumnbronze:

                  Hi deardear07,


                  The teachers may not be 'relaxed' at Yangzheng.

                  But just to share ....

                  My MIL gives tuition to some of the kids from there and she tells me that the standard of the test and exam papers are high. And she's been giving tuition for 30 years.

                  Also, its a very established school with over 100 years of history and the pupils seem to have consistently done well.

                  From my preliminary view of the website, their programmes are varied and also seem to cater to the ability of the pupils. For instance, I found out that the higher ability pupils participate in certain programmes organized by the EL dept. And because I live near the area for many years now, I have yet to see any sort of major rowdy behaviour from the kids outside the area of the school compound ....

                  Inputs can be subjective. I suggest that you should take a look at their website, go to Parents Networking to visit the YangZheng thread to ask specific questions there, visit them during their open house and apply for PV just to get a feel. In fact, if you live near the school, you can also make an attempt to speak to some of the parents or pupils outside before or after school. I did that before I enrolled my DS for kindy and I intend to do that before he enters primary school.

                  I am also considering this school too, apart from 3 other schools and one of them is a popular school. At the end of the day, if YZ satisfies my criteria, I may not even apply to the popular school because that may mean moving, whereas YZ is just walking distance away.

                  Just my 2 cents 😄

                  Wow,i surfed their website so many times but didn't see info on higher ability students taking additional stuff...only for EL? Or for other subjects?

                  Hw would u compare YZ to Kuo chuan?can advise?

                  Just curious,if they r gd,then y r they not enjoying high takeup rates...i did notice that their psle results were good these few yrs,with quite a number of children scoring 275 and abv...

                  YZ's cca is interesting,i must say...nwadays pri schs have so many activities...

                  Hi deardear07,

                  I have posted my response in the Serangoon schs thread 😄 😄

                  http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?p=383030#383030

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • phtthpP Offline
                    phtthp
                    last edited by

                    are there primary schools in Bukit Timah area that ask child to leave school, if the child can’t perform ?

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • J Offline
                      jeanieg
                      last edited by

                      Hi Mommies


                      I will be one of the many many stressed-out parents registering our kid for P1 for the first time this year.

                      I have a girl and I live within 1-2km from MGS, Keming, Pei Hwa and Bukit Timah Pri. I would like her to go to MGS but I have no other "advantage" to get in and from the looks of past stats, my chances are super slim. My second choice is CHIJ Our Lady Queen of Peace (though am out of the 2km zone) but been thinking maybe I should just go to Bukit Timah Pri… but no affliated secondary school leh… how?

                      Any advice from anyone?

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • V Offline
                        verykiasu2010
                        last edited by

                        phtthp:
                        are there primary schools in Bukit Timah area that ask child to leave school, if the child can't perform ?

                        not in primary school

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 141
                        • 142
                        • 143
                        • 144
                        • 145
                        • 261
                        • 262
                        • 143 / 262
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        6

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy