Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Catholic High (Primary)

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
    1.9k Posts 150 Posters 685.8k Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • phankaoP Offline
      phankao
      last edited by

      OrangeJuice:
      need some advice here, my son is starting P4 next yr at CHS because he has opted for the GEP. I am concerned as to what sort of CCA he can take as I get the impression most of them are full (?). I suspect he will be asked to choose an aesthetic CCA as he is not into competitive sports and he plays the piano. DS is Ok with concert band or strings ensemble.


      I would be grateful if someone cld advise me how often and when are these 2 CCA conducted.The school website indicated Wed and Fri but I noted that concert band practices also take place on one of the weekday mornings before school assembly. Can someone help me to give me a clearer picture ?

      Thank you v much !
      Both CCAs should be 2x per week officially. If I'm not mistaken, Mondays & Fridays are supposed to be CCA days - around 2-5pm. Some CCAs end a little earlier, eg. I think Strings end at 4.30pm. And I'm not sure if Strings has Monday practices, or just Friday practices only, which was the case when my elder boy was in Strings in CHS primary until 2 yrs ago when he graduated. My younger boy who was in Chinese Orchestra had usual practices on Mon/Fri when in pri school.

      Next yr is SYF year, and during SYF years from Jan-April, practices tend to be at least 2x or 3x a week in the afternoons, depending on the CCA. There would also be morning practices several times a week - those involved in morning practices would be able to skip assembly.

      But if your son is not in the SYF team, then he might not need to go for all the practices. They won't put him in the SYF performing team unless he already has been in band or strings and is competent with a certain instrument.

      Check with your son which he prefers. For Concert band, unless in percussion, all the instruments require \"blowing\"(or buzzing). Most boys can pick it up fairly quickly in a few months. For strings, it'd be either violin, viola, cello, double bass. There may be percussion too(but not always needed). He would have to learn either of these instruments formally to be good enough to perform though.

      Hope that helps!

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • O Offline
        OrangeJuice
        last edited by

        phankao:
        OrangeJuice:

        need some advice here, my son is starting P4 next yr at CHS because he has opted for the GEP. I am concerned as to what sort of CCA he can take as I get the impression most of them are full (?). I suspect he will be asked to choose an aesthetic CCA as he is not into competitive sports and he plays the piano. DS is Ok with concert band or strings ensemble.


        I would be grateful if someone cld advise me how often and when are these 2 CCA conducted.The school website indicated Wed and Fri but I noted that concert band practices also take place on one of the weekday mornings before school assembly. Can someone help me to give me a clearer picture ?

        Thank you v much !

        Both CCAs should be 2x per week officially. If I'm not mistaken, Mondays & Fridays are supposed to be CCA days - around 2-5pm. Some CCAs end a little earlier, eg. I think Strings end at 4.30pm. And I'm not sure if Strings has Monday practices, or just Friday practices only, which was the case when my elder boy was in Strings in CHS primary until 2 yrs ago when he graduated. My younger boy who was in Chinese Orchestra had usual practices on Mon/Fri when in pri school.

        Next yr is SYF year, and during SYF years from Jan-April, practices tend to be at least 2x or 3x a week in the afternoons, depending on the CCA. There would also be morning practices several times a week - those involved in morning practices would be able to skip assembly.

        But if your son is not in the SYF team, then he might not need to go for all the practices. They won't put him in the SYF performing team unless he already has been in band or strings and is competent with a certain instrument.

        Check with your son which he prefers. For Concert band, unless in percussion, all the instruments require \"blowing\"(or buzzing). Most boys can pick it up fairly quickly in a few months. For strings, it'd be either violin, viola, cello, double bass. There may be percussion too(but not always needed). He would have to learn either of these instruments formally to be good enough to perform though.

        Hope that helps!

        thanks v much for your detailed answer, phankao, v helpful indeed !
        do u know what are the chances of a new P4 joining robotics as a CCA ? Sorry for asking so much, I am trying to avoid headaches ahead as my son has private music lesson on wed afternoons at home and on fri evenings he has to attend yamaha music lesson too, so I am hoping he will land a CCA that exclude staying back on wed and fri...thanks in advance !

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • phankaoP Offline
          phankao
          last edited by

          OrangeJuice:

          thanks v much for your detailed answer, phankao, v helpful indeed !
          do u know what are the chances of a new P4 joining robotics as a CCA ? Sorry for asking so much, I am trying to avoid headaches ahead as my son has private music lesson on wed afternoons at home and on fri evenings he has to attend yamaha music lesson too, so I am hoping he will land a CCA that exclude staying back on wed and fri...thanks in advance !
          I have no idea about robotics, I'm sorry. You check when school reopens. ;D

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • C Offline
            CloverDad
            last edited by

            Hi everybody,


            My elder son is starting primary 1 next year.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • O Offline
              OrangeJuice
              last edited by

              phankao:
              OrangeJuice:


              thanks v much for your detailed answer, phankao, v helpful indeed !
              do u know what are the chances of a new P4 joining robotics as a CCA ? Sorry for asking so much, I am trying to avoid headaches ahead as my son has private music lesson on wed afternoons at home and on fri evenings he has to attend yamaha music lesson too, so I am hoping he will land a CCA that exclude staying back on wed and fri...thanks in advance !

              I have no idea about robotics, I'm sorry. You check when school reopens. ;D

              No worries, thanks for replying anyway πŸ™‚

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • JGMumJ Offline
                JGMum
                last edited by

                Hi, can I request for some information from other parents? DS is starting P1 next week (2012) and we are packing his school bag for 1st day of school (3-Jan-2012). Among the books that DS is required to bring on the 1st day is this Math book called "Math Plus 1A", which is not on the book list. I called up the school book shop today and the young lady who answered the call is not sure what book this is, but she confirmed that they do not have this book in their inventory. Does anyone know what book this is, and where to get it?

                I suspect that this may be CHS’ own Math book? If it is, do the P1 students buy the book from the teacher on the 1st day?

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • C Offline
                  chschs
                  last edited by

                  enjie:
                  Hi all,

                  My boy will be transferred to CHS Pri 3 Peace in Year 2012. Any parents whose son is in the same class?
                  Quite worried for my son. Hope that he can adjust to the new environment and make new friends easily.
                  Hi,

                  I heard the boys are \"streamed\" into P3 classes, hence they will see unfamiliar faces anyway, so don't worry about your son adjusting to the new environment and making new friends πŸ™‚

                  You will soon get to know other parents in the same class as parents are invited for quite a number of school activities.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • C Offline
                    chschs
                    last edited by

                    CloverDad:
                    Hi everybody,


                    My elder son is starting primary 1 next year.
                    Welcome to CHS! πŸ™‚ Hope to see you here in the forum often next year, Happy New Year!

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • C Offline
                      chschs
                      last edited by

                      JGMum:
                      Hi, can I request for some information from other parents? DS is starting P1 next week (2012) and we are packing his school bag for 1st day of school (3-Jan-2012). Among the books that DS is required to bring on the 1st day is this Math book called \"Math Plus 1A\", which is not on the book list. I called up the school book shop today and the young lady who answered the call is not sure what book this is, but she confirmed that they do not have this book in their inventory. Does anyone know what book this is, and where to get it?

                      I suspect that this may be CHS' own Math book? If it is, do the P1 students buy the book from the teacher on the 1st day?
                      Hi, you can check your booklist, next to Maths Plus 1A should have \"Catholic High\" as Publisher and \"NAY\" (not available yet). So yes it should be CHS internal Maths materials. The teacher will let the students know when the book is available and its price (might not be the 1st day of school).

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • C Offline
                        chschs
                        last edited by

                        CalMat:
                        Hi!

                        Need some feedback from parents with boys in Cath High.
                        My son is able to get in via Phase2A1 next year and I'm looking forward....

                        However, hubby is having 2nd thoughts and worries about it being pressure-cooker, etc. He is more inclined towards this other boys' school, but I'm not as keen as it's not strong in Chinese (I'm from a 'Chinese' school, and I feel that there is just something a little different from the so-called 'English' schools)
                        I also feel the other school's environment is a little too lax for my liking : P
                        (It's PSLE pass rates for various subjects is about 1/2 of Cath high's).

                        However, parents from that school have been posting great remarks about that school.... how they love that school....how the environment is nurtering, etc.

                        Any parents here can help me 'convince' my hubby that Cath High is more than just a school that is good in its academic achievements?
                        Better still if the examples are your own experiences and not just hear-say....
                        : )

                        Thanks!
                        My DS is going to P2 next year. P1 was a honeymoon year πŸ™‚ My DS spent most of his time outside school hours doing things that he enjoys (sports, reading, music, games, ...). Other parents with elder sibilings said that it used to have more homework and tests as recent as 2 or 3 years back (they also mentioned it depends on the teacher-in-charge).

                        The continual tests in CHS were sufficient to let you know the student's strengths and weaknesses throughout the year. I have heard from parents of other schools (not sure if it's the same one you described) that their kids are not doing much academically at school. Some parents like such system, some got worried and send their kids for tuition on all subjects.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 85
                        • 86
                        • 87
                        • 88
                        • 89
                        • 191
                        • 192
                        • 87 / 192
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy