Methodist Girls' School (Primary)
-
Hi All,
Golf as Cca, any parents with girls inside - Do you need to have a home club in order to join? TIA -
MGS primary : start Higher Chinese in Primary 5, for selected pupils only
criteria
It is not good enough, to be strong in Chinese one subject only.
All 4 subjects (Science, Maths, two languages) overall must be strong, before school allow pupil to take Higher Chinese -
Primary 1 pupil's English composition at MGS primary school :
spark off an online debate
http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/ ... ine-debate -
Hi mummies of MGSians,
I am new to this thread as I am having a hard time trying to make a choice for my DD going P1 next year. Hope to seek some advice and clear some doubts about MGS.
Part 1 | Where to Enrol...
I am an old sch girl and have signed up as an alumnae member last year...with the that of sending my DD to MGS of course. My boy is currently in P4 Radin Mas (One of the top 20 sch according to KS) which is a 5 min drive from my home near IKEA. Hubby is against the idea of MGS for logistics reasons and I too, am against RM coz of the lack of Sports CCAs as my girl is rather active and I would want to have more choices for her in school. Unlike most parents, my choice of school mainly hinges on the CCA selection and not so much of that it is an elite school. In fact, I am also wary that it will be a pressure cooker and I am waiting for some MGSian parents to share their views, esp parents of P1-P3 girls.
The other reason is that my DD has been doing gym for a few years and the fact that MGS has this is a great draw for me as she can consider that for her CCA (though hubby says that she can also stick to her current gym sch even if she goes RM). My 3rd choice is CHIJ Kellock which seems to have a high chance to get in too if going through the public phase. At least there are more likely CCAs that my DD can join, eg. Netball... i think some of you will think I am crazy to think of that option given that I have 2 good choices that comes with guaranteed admission. Now I am stuck..coz I really understand how my hubby feels. Advice, anyone?
Part 2 | Reality Check...
1) Is it true that morning traffic to MGS is horrendous and may even take 1+ hr or more just to get in? (note: currently we have the luxury of giving my so ample sleep till 7am and we can even leave the house at 7.20 or slightly later as their school starts 7.40am)
2) P1 girls are asked to read story books and write their afterthots or something?
3) Plenty of homework even in P1 & P2?
4) School is always asking for donation from parents for diff fund-raising projects?
5) What time does school starts and what time must you reach the school?
Sorry for this extremely long email...these have bothering me for the longest time and I need quick answers to know what I should do in the coming months. For now, kiasu as I am, I have tentatively ticked yes to the form given by Radin Mas recently for siblings' enrollment.
Appreciate if someone can help....even in parts, I will appreciate! Thanks!! :slapshead: :?: -
MGPS is affiliated to MGS Sec. That is one good reason enough for you to opt for MGPS than RMPS. CCA costs are higher than neighbourhood schools since MGS hires external coaches. There requests for donation is at most on an annual basis for fund raising purposes and there is no compulsion to it. Traffic is heavy but it does not taken an hour to clear the jam. Besides, you could always opt for public transport. Homework load is minimal and teachers are very caring. The only flip side is that there is a lot of reliance on tution unlike in neighbourhood schools.
-
hi moo-moo m, my DD is currently in P3.
school starts at 730am. Gals are expected to leave their bags in class before assembly, which means try to arrive 5 to 10 mins before assembly.
there is really minimal homework in p1 and p2. i don't remember my gal being asked to read books and write her thoughts. however, it could also be teacher-dependent -- as i understand some teachers can be more \"on the ball\". but i think p1 and p2 still very easy-going
-
Hi moo moo. My girl is P1 in Mgs this year. Truly no regrets in sending her there even though it’s really far for us, we stay in the east! There’s not much homework n she’s definitely thriving in school. She loves her friends there and she has made many. For P1 there’s a lot of fun n play, that’s what I observed, which I feel is appropriate for girls of their age.
I chose to go back (I’m old girl) due to the secondary school connection. I don’t want her to be too stressed during PSLE. As for tuition, I don’t think in her class most kids have tuition as a few mommies I spoke to didn’t have tuition for their girls. Fund raising is ok, so far only twice n it’s not compulsory. She’s asked to read story books n I saw that it cultivated a love for reading in her (previously she’s not into reading). Then write one/two sentences about the book in her journal. Easy peasy for the girls, really. School starts 7.30, the school bus will reach around 7.20pm. Her bus comes at 6am, long journey to school but she enjoys it as she has friends in her bus so they play all the way to school n back. Hope it helps. -
Hello mummies, thank you so much for the advice and sharing! Glad to hear that the girls are not pressured in their early school days (and crossing my fingers that will go on beyond P2 as well). For one, I am definitely convinced that MGS will provide the right environment for my girl. I guess the challenge now is the truly the logistics....not only to school but esp on CCA days. I heard some P1/2 girls may be asked to join some CCAs if they show potential in a particular sport. Unfortunately, I am not one of those tai tais nor do I have the luxury of having a car nor maid to fetch my girl at odd hours so that remains a strong reason for debate. For my hubby, he believes that every school is a good school. He himself came from a neighbourhood school too but went on to a SAP school in his sec days so it will be tough for me to convince him otherwise.
Will be grateful if anyone can share their experiences on logistics arrangement, esp on CCA days or any traffic/traveling tips on how not to be late for school...;)
By the way, are any mummies currently sending their DD to nearby after school care? Appreciate some recommendations and cost as well...thanks!! -
hello Mummies, I intend to register my girl under phrase 2b for 2016 P1 registration for this year. After the 2A1 Phrase the seats are hovering at around 60left plus the 40pcs seats reserved for Phrase 2B.
My concern is that I lived more than 2km from the school, should I still try my luck on this school? Or I should forget it? -
Hi,
I am thinking of enrolling my daughter to MSG Primary 1 next year. is there any recommended or nearby afterschool care centre?
thanks for your advice in advance.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login