Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    2013 Sec 1 Discussions

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Secondary Schools - Academic Support
    817 Posts 96 Posters 464.0k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • janet88J Offline
      janet88
      last edited by

      Son reaches home at 215…takes his bath and then have lunch…almost 245pm. He is very hungry when he reaches home but feels more comfortable to eat after bath. I told him to buy more meat during recess so as to last till school is over.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • F Offline
        fifiyeo
        last edited by

        Yes, sure agree that if they want to keep the kids past 1.30pm, they should have a lunch break at 12+pm. How to expect them to concentrate when their stomachs are grumbling and rumbling away??? And that's also really bad for the disgestive system. Funny they preach healthy living but do otherwise.


        I remember there was an article some time back in the papers and the survey stated that Singapore kids do not have enough sleep. How to ever have enough sleep if schools don't put a stop to how much homework and how late the kids should stay. Though kids can push themselves but that's not how things should be. :faint:

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • janet88J Offline
          janet88
          last edited by

          Off topic a little.

          I eat breakfast at 630am...get housework done and at 10am, my stomach starts to rumble...if I do not eat, I am unable to function. So I eat something to last till 2+...after my snack i prepare lunch.

          Kids should have sufficient rest and time to enjoy meals after school. How is it possible with longer hours in school? Mondays to Fridays, they have to speed through meals to start getting homework done. After dinner, they have to revise...they are still young kids...just finished with primary school and now expected to work so hard. It is plain crazy :siao:
          The jump to secondary 1 is far too great.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • isetanI Offline
            isetan
            last edited by

            I agree. MOE shld give time for adjustment. Sec 1 timing shld be gradually adjusted to give students more time to adapt, including nos of subjects. From 4 last year to 8.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • janet88J Offline
              janet88
              last edited by

              isetan:
              I agree. MOE shld give time for adjustment. Sec 1 timing shld be gradually adjusted to give students more time to adapt, including nos of subjects. From 4 last year to 8.

              Precisely...double the number of subjects in the same hours in a week...out of which 3 subjects are totally NEW.
              Hours are too long. From P6 to Sec 1...the jump is far too great.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                SAHM_TAN
                last edited by

                Maybe times are different and now sec school is different fr mine or maybe becos I blur blur student but I was ok with the increased in subjects from 4-8 during my time. I indicated a new sec school as 1st choice becos blur blur and I thought all school are the same. Of course my score was nowhere near 260 heehee. I remembered I flipped thru all the new subject texts eagerly. I love lab but was stumped by velocity, acceleration but ok lah, I preferred literature and history to science. The only difference is the break time bah, I think during my time, break was more regular. I loved staying back in school for computer lab session and school newsletter, learning something new.


                It was only JC time that my breaks were irregular and I ate whenever I can but I quite like this becos less people around, don’t need to queue hahahaha. I think uni time lagi worse but I was in Arts and Social Science faculty so ok lah, I was able to plan long breaks evil evil evil. Maybe learning was more fun during my time or maybe I too blur Liao LOL.

                Now as SAHM, wkdays and school term, I skipped brekkie, lunch hr is at 11am or 2pm. If I want I pop a biscuit or whatever. I should be thin but still obese. I think the fat I gained fr my last pregnancy keeps me going heehee.

                What’s my point for this long rambling post on a sun morning? Maybe all the posts abt sec life got me thinking abt me as a student.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • W Offline
                  wonderm
                  last edited by

                  Just sharing my DC’s cases regarding school lunch hour.


                  For primary school, school ends at 1pm with morning recess.
                  For secondary school, lunch hour at 1:30pm with morning recess at around 9:30 - 10:00am. Lunch at 1:30pm is a little late, but it is still ok since my DC eat at the canteen during recess.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • janet88J Offline
                    janet88
                    last edited by

                    slmkhoo:
                    I do agree that expecting growing kids to wait until 2+ or 3pm to have lunch is ridiculous. Which office worker would stand for that? I actually wrote to MOE last year to complain, and got the usual 'thank you for your feedback, we will look into it' letter, but nothing gets done. Maybe more people should write in too?

                    Hubby works till late hour...but he said he has air con...so it wasn't so bad...goes out for lunch at 12...the hot sun right up there but hey, he has air con when he returns to the office. Our kids eat at 215pm...that is ridiculous and mind you, they do not enjoy a leisure one but quickie one bcos of homework and tests to learn.
                    MOE, you get the idea?

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • K Offline
                      kwcllf
                      last edited by

                      slmkhoo:
                      But so many P6 kids are staying in school till quite late because of supplementary classes, so maybe the change in hours isn't really so great? I do agree that expecting growing kids to wait until 2+ or 3pm to have lunch is ridiculous. Which office worker would stand for that? I actually wrote to MOE last year to complain, and got the usual 'thank you for your feedback, we will look into it' letter, but nothing gets done. Maybe more people should write in too?

                      Haha! Maybe after Punggol East By-election, PAP or MOE will take better note of your feedback.

                      Perhaps, you try writing to them again? 😆

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • janet88J Offline
                        janet88
                        last edited by

                        If MOE does respond, that would be so pathetic…bcos it goes to show that fear factor has awakened those sitting up there.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 29
                        • 30
                        • 31
                        • 32
                        • 33
                        • 81
                        • 82
                        • 31 / 82
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy