2013 Sec 1 Discussions
-
My son in Sec 1 this year have teachers who prepare own worksheets and genuinely teach. His humanities subject teachers go all the way to help students...but these subjects are just once a week. Literature is tough.
He is very happy in this school and doesn't want to transfer...which is also good since school is near home...easy for me to monitor :evil:
Class tests are frequent...keep students on the ball....but class is informed of the dates. Just completed common tests...so far did quite well, except literature which was saved by class test result. -
I agree with Janet that tuition is a MUST. And yes, the sch always teach the basic of a topic BUT will test them on diff or complex questions which the students have never seen. REASON : To sieve out the better students. BUT the truth is, they are not the BEST students but the well-prepared-by-tuition-centers students.
So those who are lucky to find the right tutor or tuition centre will be the BEST students. -
Rhyll:
Though son's teachers are teaching more, I still dare not let go of my tutors...it is because of the back up of tutors which helps my son understand what they are being taught in school. Yes, Rhyll...you are right. Questions tested during tests/questions are difficult. Tutors provide a backup as they will guide son in areas he has difficulty in. Secondary English is no joke.I agree with Janet that tuition is a MUST. And yes, the sch always teach the basic of a topic BUT will test them on diff or complex questions which the students have never seen. REASON : To sieve out the better students. BUT the truth is, they are not the BEST students but the well-prepared-by-tuition-centers students.
So those who are lucky to find the right tutor or tuition centre will be the BEST students. -
Just to share what I observe, in Sec school (since this is a Sec school thread):
School teachers do teach although some teachers teach better than others. I think this is expected, no different in any other industries.
While teachers teach, the students are also expected to do self learning to cover more breath and depth. This may be more so for some schools and some classes. In general, the stronger (in academics) the students, the more they are expected to do self learning.
Tuition is NOT a MUST although some students do need and have tuitions. The best students (in academic) usually are the ones who do not have any tuition. Those who do have a lot of tuition do not always perform well.
I think to do well in studies, the child’s learning ability and learning attitude count much more than whether they have tuition or not, more so as they move up to Sec and JC and beyond. -
wonderm:
:goodpost:Just to share what I observe, in Sec school (since this is a Sec school thread):
School teachers do teach although some teachers teach better than others. I think this is expected, no different in any other industries.
While teachers teach, the students are also expected to do self learning to cover more breath and depth. This may be more so for some schools and some classes. In general, the stronger (in academics) the students, the more they are expected to do self learning.
Tuition is NOT a MUST although some students do need and have tuitions. The best students (in academic) usually are the ones who do not have any tuition. Those who do have a lot of tuition do not always perform well.
I think to do well in studies, the child's learning ability and learning attitude count much more than whether they have tuition or not, more so as they move up to Sec and JC and beyond. -
wonderm:
u r right. My DH said the same thing too. He advised me to hand off totally,if not,he forever won't learn.Just to share what I observe, in Sec school (since this is a Sec school thread):
School teachers do teach although some teachers teach better than others. I think this is expected, no different in any other industries.
While teachers teach, the students are also expected to do self learning to cover more breath and depth. This may be more so for some schools and some classes. In general, the stronger (in academics) the students, the more they are expected to do self learning.
Tuition is NOT a MUST although some students do need and have tuitions. The best students (in academic) usually are the ones who do not have any tuition. Those who do have a lot of tuition do not always perform well.
I think to do well in studies, the child's learning ability and learning attitude count much more than whether they have tuition or not, more so as they move up to Sec and JC and beyond.
Now i slowly teach him how to study by himself independent.Start by teaching him to capture notes during lessons,highlight the impt words,search information by himself.
I realise this was how we learnt in the past coz my mum is illiterate n dad busy in work. -
wonderm:
It is not possible to have tuition for all 7-8 subjects at secondary level...for humanities subjects, I told son he has to read and study in-depth on his own...especially literature. Geog and history hubby and I can explain but studying them is still his responsibility. Time is very tight and precious at secondary level...so I have to limit what tuition he needs badly.Just to share what I observe, in Sec school (since this is a Sec school thread):
School teachers do teach although some teachers teach better than others. I think this is expected, no different in any other industries.
While teachers teach, the students are also expected to do self learning to cover more breath and depth. This may be more so for some schools and some classes. In general, the stronger (in academics) the students, the more they are expected to do self learning.
Tuition is NOT a MUST although some students do need and have tuitions. The best students (in academic) usually are the ones who do not have any tuition. Those who do have a lot of tuition do not always perform well. -
wonderm:
I agree. Tuition does help those who need it. DS no.1 needs a lot of 1-1 coaching, DS no.2 left on his own clocking less hours at the study desk does better than the brother. I guess learning ability and attitude counts.Just to share what I observe, in Sec school (since this is a Sec school thread):
School teachers do teach although some teachers teach better than others. I think this is expected, no different in any other industries.
While teachers teach, the students are also expected to do self learning to cover more breath and depth. This may be more so for some schools and some classes. In general, the stronger (in academics) the students, the more they are expected to do self learning.
Tuition is NOT a MUST although some students do need and have tuitions. The best students (in academic) usually are the ones who do not have any tuition. Those who do have a lot of tuition do not always perform well.
I think to do well in studies, the child's learning ability and learning attitude count much more than whether they have tuition or not, more so as they move up to Sec and JC and beyond. -
fifiyeo:
My boy does not have tuition since last year September, a month before PSLE. We have given him the option, to have or not to have tuition. He prefers to do self study & go without tuition, due to his heavy CCAs commitments. Will see how he copes first then decide whether tuition is needed.
I agree. Tuition does help those who need it. DS no.1 needs a lot of 1-1 coaching, DS no.2 left on his own clocking less hours at the study desk does better than the brother. I guess learning ability and attitude counts.wonderm:
Just to share what I observe, in Sec school (since this is a Sec school thread):
School teachers do teach although some teachers teach better than others. I think this is expected, no different in any other industries.
While teachers teach, the students are also expected to do self learning to cover more breath and depth. This may be more so for some schools and some classes. In general, the stronger (in academics) the students, the more they are expected to do self learning.
Tuition is NOT a MUST although some students do need and have tuitions. The best students (in academic) usually are the ones who do not have any tuition. Those who do have a lot of tuition do not always perform well.
I think to do well in studies, the child's learning ability and learning attitude count much more than whether they have tuition or not, more so as they move up to Sec and JC and beyond. -
janet_lee88:
My DS has tuition for maths with the same tuitor since Primary School. He enjoys going to tuition as the tutor is good and has good rapport with them.
Though son's teachers are teaching more, I still dare not let go of my tutors...it is because of the back up of tutors which helps my son understand what they are being taught in school. Yes, Rhyll...you are right. Questions tested during tests/questions are difficult. Tutors provide a backup as they will guide son in areas he has difficulty in. Secondary English is no joke.Rhyll:
I agree with Janet that tuition is a MUST. And yes, the sch always teach the basic of a topic BUT will test them on diff or complex questions which the students have never seen. REASON : To sieve out the better students. BUT the truth is, they are not the BEST students but the well-prepared-by-tuition-centers students.
So those who are lucky to find the right tutor or tuition centre will be the BEST students.
And as Janet_Lee88 said, I let my DS continue as a backup although I can see him doing alot of independent study. So, to have tuition or not, it depends on many factors, not just whether a child is academically strong or not.
And on the subject on whether school teachers are teaching more of less, I think it depends on individual teachers and their attitude. For Literature, my DS just told me over the weekend that the whole class asked whether their English Language teacher can teach them Literature instead as their current teacher is really BORING.......just reading and reading and then do some worksheets all the time. However, their English teacher said she cannot accede to their request as this was planned by the school.
My DS said the Literature teachers in other classes have made the lessons so much more interesting by getting the students to act out and participate interactively.
But his Geography teacher is different and good. My DS told me once that when they were taught about the Earth and its core, the teacher gave them each a Ferrero Roche chocolate. He used it to demonstrate how the earth is made up with different layers. At the end of it, they were told to eat up the chocolate.
They were so amused and they thoroughly enjoyed the lesson. Unfortunately, not all teachers are like that! Some, like their Literature teacher just go through lessons in a deadpan manner and I am really worried about how he can cope with the subject as he has already shown disinterest after such a short time.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login