Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Finding & Evaluating Tutors

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Academic Learning & Enrichment
    450 Posts 179 Posters 173.5k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • L Offline
      Leanne
      last edited by

      Hello all,


      What are the factor would u consider when hiring a tutor other than the capability ?

      Distance of the tutor home
      Indiv vs group
      Female or male
      How the tutor’s students peformance?
      Qualification

      Do u believe in talking to the tutor and thus able to gauge how well the tutor can teach?

      Thank you all.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • janet88J Offline
        janet88
        last edited by

        I face this problem almost every 2 years…no difference from a maid.


        1) Since tuition for my kids is once a week, I go for one-to-one.
        2) At my home, so tutor pref should be staying near my place.
        3) Female preferred.
        4) Qualification wise, pref be a teacher in the school so that she knows the syllabus and exam format/changes that MOE has.

        Regarding student’s performance. That is a something I would like to check with parents.

        If a tutor coaches a student and the student’s result dropped badly, who is at fault ?? Of course there are factors like tough exam paper, student’s interest to consider for eg…should the tutor be responsible because it’s considered her responsibility to make sure he/she does well.
        Personally, I feel that when I hire a tutor, he/she has to make sure kids score and not just pass.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • L Offline
          Leanne
          last edited by

          Personally I have come across a female and male tutor.My observation is male tutor are very relax, female will do lots of hw and materials.

          Not sure parents here face the same thing.

          rgds
          Leanne




          janet_lee88:
          I face this problem almost every 2 years...no difference from a maid.
          Thanks Janet for the feedback.
          I just wonder, why a female tutor and not a male tutor.
          1) Since tuition for my kids is once a week, I go for one-to-one.
          2) At my home, so tutor pref should be staying near my place.
          3) Female preferred.
          4) Qualification wise, pref be a teacher in the school so that she knows the syllabus and exam format/changes that MOE has.

          Regarding student's performance. That is a something I would like to check with parents.

          If a tutor coaches a student and the student's result dropped badly, who is at fault ?? Of course there are factors like tough exam paper, student's interest to consider for eg...should the tutor be responsible because it's considered her responsibility to make sure he/she does well.
          Personally, I feel that when I hire a tutor, he/she has to make sure kids score and not just pass.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • J Offline
            josephine_ng
            last edited by

            janet_lee88:


            I am a tutor myself and I think that if the student’s result drop drastically (not due to school nor tough exam papers), it will be the tutor’s fault. That is also one reason why parents will want to engage a tutor - to arouse the student’s interest aside from what the school have already taught. Other factors to consider could be like:

            1. The student is not suitable for a one-to-one home tuition
            2. Stressed up
            3. Lazy

            Some students can feel stress and lazy when they have too many classes. Which in turn will cause them to lose interest in the subject or studying.

            Tutors will try to help the student score, but not every student can do that especially if the given time frame is short, the student is a slow learner and has very poor foundations. For example, I have one student who is entering P4 next year and he just engaged me as a tutor. After assessing his standard, he can only start with P2 english and build his foundation from there. Basic english like "a", sometimes he would forget that it is singular. So if the parent were to give me 1 year for him to score, I can almost say it is impossible. For this year, I can only help him to at least pass and to catch up for P4.

            Sorry for the lengthy post. Just my 2cents =p

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • janet88J Offline
              janet88
              last edited by

              Hi Josephine,

              I appreciate your comment as a tutor. I also agree with you regarding too many tuition classes too can backfire.
              Recommended son’s CL tutor to son’s classmate in P2. That boy has tuition for all 3 subjects. He did very well (2nd in class). The CL tutor told me he’s so bored during lessons bcos there is so much tuition hw.
              As a parent, I know my son will pass his exams but engaging a tutor is to help him score better results. Also asked his CL tutor not to give him too much hw as the school literally piles on.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • J Offline
                josephine_ng
                last edited by

                Exactly. Some students of mine can actually take the stress and they are looking forward to the practice after every lessons. So it really boils down to the student themselves. That is why it is very important for experience tutor to get to know the student and understand the student learning abilities.


                Sometimes, changes have to be made. Maybe for the start when the student is still enthusiatic, the tutor can give a lot of homework. After some time, the student’s "engine" turns of and the tutor would need to make necessary changes to the lessons and work given. That is to maintain the student’s interest in the subject. Most importantly, the student has to enjoy the tuition. Else he/she would not concentrate on the lesson, not do the homework and etc.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • janet88J Offline
                  janet88
                  last edited by

                  josephine_ng:
                  Exactly. Some students of mine can actually take the stress and they are looking forward to the practice after every lessons. So it really boils down to the student themselves. That is why it is very important for experience tutor to get to know the student and understand the student learning abilities.


                  Sometimes, changes have to be made. Maybe for the start when the student is still enthusiatic, the tutor can give a lot of homework. After some time, the student's \"engine\" turns of and the tutor would need to make necessary changes to the lessons and work given. That is to maintain the student's interest in the subject. Most importantly, the student has to enjoy the tuition. Else he/she would not concentrate on the lesson, not do the homework and etc.
                  I don't mind a tutor who is strict...have kept tuition to the minimum bcos son is busy with school work. I follow son's studies closely since I'm a SAHM. Asked the tutor to give him lesser homework during curriculum but more during holidays.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • J Offline
                    josephine_ng
                    last edited by

                    If he has alot of school work to finish, then probably the tutor can do the work together with him, teach, guide and correct him at the same time. The only tuition homework he would have will be those that he cannot finish during lessons.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • janet88J Offline
                      janet88
                      last edited by

                      josephine_ng:
                      If he has alot of school work to finish, then probably the tutor can do the work together with him, teach, guide and correct him at the same time. The only tuition homework he would have will be those that he cannot finish during lessons.

                      Personally, I want the tutor to coach him in areas which school teachers do not have time to focus on like 好词好句. I will coach him while he does his school hw. It's too expensive to get a tutor to do school hw with him...my personal opinion.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • P Offline
                        ppnqq
                        last edited by

                        josephine_ng:
                        janet_lee88:


                        I am a tutor myself and I think that if the student's result drop drastically (not due to school nor tough exam papers), it will be the tutor's fault. That is also one reason why parents will want to engage a tutor - to arouse the student's interest aside from what the school have already taught. Other factors to consider could be like:

                        1. The student is not suitable for a one-to-one home tuition
                        2. Stressed up
                        3. Lazy

                        Some students can feel stress and lazy when they have too many classes. Which in turn will cause them to lose interest in the subject or studying.

                        Tutors will try to help the student score, but not every student can do that especially if the given time frame is short, the student is a slow learner and has very poor foundations. For example, I have one student who is entering P4 next year and he just engaged me as a tutor. After assessing his standard, he can only start with P2 english and build his foundation from there. Basic english like \"a\", sometimes he would forget that it is singular. So if the parent were to give me 1 year for him to score, I can almost say it is impossible. For this year, I can only help him to at least pass and to catch up for P4.

                        *Sorry for the lengthy post. Just my 2cents =p*
                        sorry, but I only agree with this statement if the student is very lazy and refuses to put in any effort but if the student is willing to at least pay attention and put in some effort, they CAN DO IT! Nothing is impossible. I used to teach and gave tuition too. I have a boy who always fail his English, around the 30% range. When his parents engaged me as his tutor, I was left with only about 3 lessons with him before his English exam but I managed to help him score 83% if I did not remember wrongly.

                        From my experiences, there are many factors to help your tutee score. Besides their own efforts, we, as the tutor, has a lot of work to do and prepare too. The very 'first' thing is to try to understand our tutee within the shortest possible time because we do not tutor them for many days a week and the weeks and months pass in a blink and it's exam time.

                        From there, I will tailor-make my lessons and work for the tutee and ofcourse, we also need to find out what is the root problem that is 'obstructing' them from scoring. it could be the wrong study methods or not understanding the concepts etc. As tutor, we do not just teach and help them score. In fact, we are taking on a few roles - parent, teacher, counselor and friend. Once we understand our tutee well, the rest would be like a breeze and I would say 60% of the work and effort would be on us.

                        I noticed most tutors nowadays rarely set their own papers or notes to cater to the tutees' needs and most of them just make the tutees do work all from the test papers or assessments. I never do that.

                        Anyway, that was in the past and how I did. Things are no longer the same now. But it would be a great consolation if there are more hardworking, passionate and responsible tutors and teachers.

                        But never say it's impossible. Everything IS POSSIBLE, and we have to keep encouraging our kids or tutees/students that. Positivity is very important if we want to succeed in anything. JMHO.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 5
                        • 44
                        • 45
                        • 1 / 45
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        sharonkhooS
                        sharonkhoo

                        Statistics

                        3

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy