Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Exam Preparation

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary Schools - Academic Support
    192 Posts 29 Posters 56.4k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S Offline
      shann2
      last edited by

      I think the key is to know what we are writing about. If we don’t understand or cannot relate, it would be awkward when using it.


      i was not really sure what a gargoyle was when i saw that phrase but i somehow link it to the ‘statues’ in the show hunchback of notre dame - disney version!

      I am just sharing though…

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • NebbermindN Offline
        Nebbermind
        last edited by

        I read one of my kid's compo a few years back and my heart was racing with the tempo of his story...donch remember any bombastic words. But I was like holding my breath, you know, that kinda 'Psycho' feeling.


        Needless to say, he had pretty good marks for that piece of work. :imcool:

        And needless to say, it was a once-off! 😢

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • FunzF Offline
          Funz
          last edited by

          Nebbermind:
          I read one of my kid's compo a few years back and my heart was racing with the tempo of his story...donch remember any bombastic words. But I was like holding my breath, you know, that kinda 'Psycho' feeling.


          Needless to say, he had pretty good marks for that piece of work. :imcool:

          And needless to say, it was a once-off! 😢
          I had the same experience when reading one of DD's compo. Heart racing with every sentence and I felt I could not breathe as well. And boy was I psycho mum after that.

          It was a disjointed piece of work that was bordering on schizophrenic in plot and flow.

          Needless to say, she had pretty lousy marks for that piece of work. :stupid:

          And how I wish it was a once-off! 😢

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • S Offline
            SAHM_TAN
            last edited by

            Funz:
            Nebbermind:

            I read one of my kid's compo a few years back and my heart was racing with the tempo of his story...donch remember any bombastic words. But I was like holding my breath, you know, that kinda 'Psycho' feeling.


            Needless to say, he had pretty good marks for that piece of work. :imcool:

            And needless to say, it was a once-off! 😢

            I had the same experience when reading one of DD's compo. Heart racing with every sentence and I felt I could not breathe as well. And boy was I psycho mum after that.

            It was a disjointed piece of work that was bordering on schizophrenic in plot and flow.

            Needless to say, she had pretty lousy marks for that piece of work. :stupid:

            And how I wish it was a once-off! 😢


            I rec'd some lousy news today, thanks to both your posts I had a good belly laugh. :rotflmao:

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • FunzF Offline
              Funz
              last edited by

              DS asked me this morning, what is the meaning of 'decent'. Told him mean, acceptable, proper, fitting, appropriate.


              He said 'ok, for today's compo test, I will use the word decent.' Thought to myself ok, this is like his fixation with the word 'hilarious' previously. Told him nobody decides the words even before they see what the compo is about. What if the word does not fit in.

              He stared at me and told me. \"Don't worry Mummy, I will be able to use the word decent. I will write a decent compo using the word decent and get a decent grade.\"

              :faint:

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                Sun_2010
                last edited by

                Funz:
                Nebbermind:

                I read one of my kid's compo a few years back and my heart was racing with the tempo of his story...donch remember any bombastic words. But I was like holding my breath, you know, that kinda 'Psycho' feeling.


                Needless to say, he had pretty good marks for that piece of work. :imcool:

                And needless to say, it was a once-off! 😢

                I had the same experience when reading one of DD's compo. Heart racing with every sentence and I felt I could not breathe as well. And boy was I psycho mum after that.

                It was a disjointed piece of work that was bordering on schizophrenic in plot and flow.

                Needless to say, she had pretty lousy marks for that piece of work. :stupid:

                And how I wish it was a once-off! 😢

                One man's meat another woman's poison :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

                Language is the tool to express.

                I would like to add that the process of learning phrases/good vocab to
                applying them is not a smooth progressive path. There will be a period when they use it inappropriately and sometimes totally off but it is thru that they will develop. The problem is we want them to do well every compo and at every exam. One learns to walk by falling .

                But of course , I dont give him a list of phrases. He has to create his own. It should be from the books/mags he reads. Hence my insistance he diversify his reading ( not succeeding there :gloomy: ). He uses a few of them sometimes appropriately, sometimes redundantly and sometimes inappropriately. That then becomes a lesson to learn from.

                I would rather my child uses imagination and creativity even if there are inappropriate words and phrases and story flow is not smooth than a simple straightforward to-the-point story. The latter may get him more marks for sure. But is it in the right direction to learning. Language can be learnt but not imagination , not the excitement of creating something your own. I dont want to put a damper to that as long as possible ( probably end of P5 maybe?)

                Now all I have to do is have the courage to keep this prespective when i get his compo marks. From his input I feel the story went well, and came to a good conclusion. That is till a plane crashed into the building and it collapsed. 😢 ( taking deep breathes now 😆 )

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • S Offline
                  SAHM_TAN
                  last edited by

                  Funz:
                  DS asked me this morning, what is the meaning of 'decent'. Told him mean, acceptable, proper, fitting, appropriate.


                  He said 'ok, for today's compo test, I will use the word decent.' Thought to myself ok, this is like his fixation with the word 'hilarious' previously. Told him nobody decides the words even before they see what the compo is about. What if the word does not fit in.

                  He stared at me and told me. \"Don't worry Mummy, I will be able to use the word decent. I will write a decent compo using the word decent and get a decent grade.\"

                  :faint:
                  hilarious :rotflmao:

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • sharonkhooS Offline
                    sharonkhoo
                    last edited by

                    Sun_2010:
                    I would like to add that the process of learning phrases/good vocab to applying them is not a smooth progressive path. There will be a period when they use it inappropriately and sometimes totally off but it is thru that they will develop. The problem is we want them to do well every compo and at every exam. One learns to walk by falling .

                    I tell my kids that they should experiment during daily work but be conservative during exams. It they always play safe, they won't learn as much, but it would be silly to take too many risks during exams.
                    ...
                    Now all I have to do is have the courage to keep this prespective when i get his compo marks. From his input I feel the story went well, and came to a good conclusion. That is till a plane crashed into the building and it collapsed. 😢 ( taking deep breathes now 😆 )
                    There is a good precedent for that happening in real life - 911!

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • NebbermindN Offline
                      Nebbermind
                      last edited by

                      SAHM_TAN:


                      I rec'd some lousy news today, thanks to both your posts I had a good belly laugh. :rotflmao:
                      Well, needless to say, this collaboration is once-off! 😉

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • S Offline
                        Sun_2010
                        last edited by

                        slmkhoo:
                        Sun_2010:

                        I would like to add that the process of learning phrases/good vocab to applying them is not a smooth progressive path. There will be a period when they use it inappropriately and sometimes totally off but it is thru that they will develop. The problem is we want them to do well every compo and at every exam. One learns to walk by falling .

                        I tell my kids that they should experiment during daily work but be conservative during exams. It they always play safe, they won't learn as much, but it would be silly to take too many risks during exams.
                        ...
                        Now all I have to do is have the courage to keep this prespective when i get his compo marks. From his input I feel the story went well, and came to a good conclusion. That is till a plane crashed into the building and it collapsed. 😢 ( taking deep breathes now 😆 )
                        There is a good precedent for that happening in real life - 911!

                        Oh, that was not his imagination. We have seen the 911 video clips some months ago. And recently , the Bangladesh building collapse fascinated him, he did a rewind to see that while watching CNN News .

                        Actually I do tell him to make it down to earth, especially for exams. But at 9 he is still not matured to distinguish the two - a normal class work and an exam. Stressing him to tone down, results in a bland short write up.

                        My list of donts based on compos he practiced were
                        1. No blood and gore. Robbers do not go about shooting all people with machine guns
                        2. No volcanos erupting , no earthquakes , no asteroids landing on earth.

                        But I did not say anything about building collapse :slapshead:

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 16
                        • 17
                        • 18
                        • 19
                        • 20
                        • 19 / 20
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        qqtang0526Q
                        qqtang0526

                        Statistics

                        7

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy