Pocket money
-
Red_Snow:
hi parents, may I ask...how much do u give pocket money to ur P1 kid? :? My daughter will be in P1 a few more days

For my P1 girl, I intend to give her $2 to $2.50 a day. Need to monitor for a month or so. If she's not eating much (fussy), I may cut her pocket money to $1 and pack snack for her instead
My elder one needs $3 a day because she consumes 2 plates of rice plus side dishes. She has a huge appetite -
I give my dd $1 and 510c to call me. cos she dont have H.phone. not every day but if she make a call to me or buy any drink/food I just replace them.
In the start of p1 I gave her 2$ + 510c but she started to buy unwanted stuff from bookshop( eg stickers, erasers etc etc). In the end of P1 she got friends and they play during the break. -
Red_Snow:
thanks, bigfoot, for ur info. Is ur child going to P1 too?
Yes, my DS1 will be entering P1 soon.
-
Upz
-
How old is your DS and how much are you giving him right now? Do you give him on a daily basis or weekly basis?
-
snowbee88:
Why is he doing that? Is he being forced to? Or does he feel sorry or his schoolmate? Or is he being generous? How come he can afford to pay for 2? What you say to him and what you can do will depend on the reason.Hi, like to seek advice in this topic...
my DS had been paying for his schoolmate food during recess..
need advice on how should I handle this problem. -
Upz
-
snowbee88:
IMO, it sounds a bit like bullying. The kid is pestering your DS for money. Yes, you could pack food for your DS instead of giving him money. But you may wish to speak to the form teacher as well? Otherwise, that kid will just look for another classmate to get money from. Or just take your DS packed food.Hi slmkhoo,
He's too soft to reject.. His schoolmate told him his mother will scold him if he used up his money. DS already told him I will look for his mother if he's going to ask paying for him again. However, this friend doesn't seem to get 'threaten'.
The first time the boy took $2 from DS and bought food that cost $1. He did not even return DS the remaining $1. Subsequently, the boy continues to pester DS to pay for him and even took money from DS directly.
We gave him $3 which is a bit more compared to peers.
Am considering to reduce to $2 (he usually buy chicken rice that cost $1.50) or I will just stop giving DS pocket money for the time being to 'punish him'. He can bring food to school if he wants or just starve till home, which is a bit harsh.. or.... any better solution?? -
snowbee88:
Either this boy is bullying your child, or he (the other child) does not understand the purpose of pocket money. If it's the latter, it may be that he misunderstood what his mother said and does not dare use his money at all. In any case, I think you should contact the form teacher or the boy's mother. I think your son has already proven that he is unable to deal with this issue by himself, and not giving him money will deprive him of the opportunity to learn how to manage his finances. It will also deprive the other boy of an opportunity to learn - either that bullying or taking someone else's money is unacceptable, or how pocket money is to be used. And in the meanwhile, give your son only what he needs for himself.Hi slmkhoo,
He's too soft to reject.. His schoolmate told him his mother will scold him if he used up his money. DS already told him I will look for his mother if he's going to ask paying for him again. However, this friend doesn't seem to get 'threaten'.
The first time the boy took $2 from DS and bought food that cost $1. He did not even return DS the remaining $1. Subsequently, the boy continues to pester DS to pay for him and even took money from DS directly.
We gave him $3 which is a bit more compared to peers.
Am considering to reduce to $2 (he usually buy chicken rice that cost $1.50) or I will just stop giving DS pocket money for the time being to 'punish him'. He can bring food to school if he wants or just starve till home, which is a bit harsh.. or.... any better solution?? -
snowbee88:
Hi slmkhoo,
He's too soft to reject.. His schoolmate told him his mother will scold him if he used up his money. DS already told him I will look for his mother if he's going to ask paying for him again. However, this friend doesn't seem to get 'threaten'.
The first time the boy took $2 from DS and bought food that cost $1. He did not even return DS the remaining $1. Subsequently, the boy continues to pester DS to pay for him and even took money from DS directly.
We gave him $3 which is a bit more compared to peers.
Am considering to reduce to $2 (he usually buy chicken rice that cost $1.50) or I will just stop giving DS pocket money for the time being to 'punish him'. He can bring food to school if he wants or just starve till home, which is a bit harsh.. or.... any better solution??
Hmm......analyzing this situation, your boy is either too kind hearted or lacks the self confidence to say \"No\" to his friend. Either way, I don't think he should be 'punished' for it. This is actually a good opportunity for you to teach him how to stand up for himself.
I would get him to tell his friend that he should spend his own money for recess from now on and if he finds that his own pocket money is insufficient to meet his mother's 'dun-spend-all-your-pocket-money' requirement, then he should have a word with her. And if he continues to pester him, their form teacher will be informed.
Frankly, I check my son's pocket money balance everyday. Ask him what he ate that day and how much it cost, how much does he have left. If the balance does not tally, which is only rarely, he would need to give me an explanation. This also trains him up in accountability.
Sometimes he'll come home & tell me that so and so from his class does not eat anything during recess. I'll probe and ask if it's because he is not hungry or if he does not have money to buy food. Then I'll ask my boy to share his food (those that can be shared hygienically) with him next time.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better π
Register Login