Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Networking Group - JCs General

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees
    3.9k Posts 434 Posters 1.1m Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • sharonkhooS Offline
      sharonkhoo
      last edited by

      jtoh:
      Juz Mum:

      Wouldn't it be better chance for the student to obtain a better result if he takes the 4th H2 subject in H1? Hence getting a better uas ?


      What' s the advantage and purpose in taking 4H2 if the student is not strong in the 4th H2 subject?

      Any advise please?

      Yes. If a student is weak in one subject, then just take it at H1 level and hope to score better at it than at H2 level and convert that to H1. One adv of taking 4H2s is for scholarships and perhaps some more competitive uni courses, although I'm not sure if the latter is true.

      Another reason for taking 4 H2s is \"insurance\" if the student is equally strong in all 4 subjects. That way, whichever turns out weakest can be used as the H1 equivalent, whereas if he takes 3 H2s and 1 H1, he has no choice. But if the student is clearly weaker in 1 subject, taking it as H1 would seem to be wiser. It will free up more time to study for the H2s as well.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • J Offline
        Juz Mum
        last edited by

        [/quote]


        Yes. If a student is weak in one subject, then just take it at H1 level and hope to score better at it than at H2 level and convert that to H1. One adv of taking 4H2s is for scholarships and perhaps some more competitive uni courses, although I'm not sure if the latter is true.[/quote]
        Another reason for taking 4 H2s is \"insurance\" if the student is equally strong in all 4 subjects. That way, whichever turns out weakest can be used as the H1 equivalent, whereas if he takes 3 H2s and 1 H1, he has no choice. But if the student is clearly weaker in 1 subject, taking it as H1 would seem to be wiser. It will free up more time to study for the H2s as well.[/quote]


        Thanks so much slmkhoo and jtoh for taking time to share and advise!! šŸ˜„

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • B Offline
          Boys2Men
          last edited by

          Juz Mum:

          Yes. If a student is weak in one subject, then just take it at H1 level and hope to score better at it than at H2 level and convert that to H1. One adv of taking 4H2s is for scholarships and perhaps some more competitive uni courses, although I'm not sure if the latter is true.[/quote]
          Another reason for taking 4 H2s is \"insurance\" if the student is equally strong in all 4 subjects. That way, whichever turns out weakest can be used as the H1 equivalent, whereas if he takes 3 H2s and 1 H1, he has no choice. But if the student is clearly weaker in 1 subject, taking it as H1 would seem to be wiser. It will free up more time to study for the H2s as well.[/quote]


          Thanks so much slmkhoo and jtoh for taking time to share and advise!! šŸ˜„[/quote]


          Thanks to JuzMum, simkhoo and jtoh. I am learning something useful from here as well šŸ˜„

          My child told me that he plans to take 2 Science (Bio and Chem). While he is very sure of his choice for the Sciences, he is unsure of which Humanities subject to take. Currently he is taking English Literature as well as History and seems to be doing quite OK for both (scores an average of A2 for both). Some of his friends are suggesting that they should take Economics. As my son is geared towards the Sciences, he seems quite neutral when it comes to making a choice for the Humanities subject. Hence I am trying to see if I can help him in his decision-making. Are they any national statistics on how studentsfare in the Humanities subject in the A levels? Among Eng Lit, History and Econs, which is the better performing subject? Which subject is easier to study/score?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • sharonkhooS Offline
            sharonkhoo
            last edited by

            Boys2Men:
            My child told me that he plans to take 2 Science (Bio and Chem). While he is very sure of his choice for the Sciences, he is unsure of which Humanities subject to take. Currently he is taking English Literature as well as History and seems to be doing quite OK for both (scores an average of A2 for both). Some of his friends are suggesting that they should take Economics. As my son is geared towards the Sciences, he seems quite neutral when it comes to making a choice for the Humanities subject. Hence I am trying to see if I can help him in his decision-making. Are they any national statistics on how studentsfare in the Humanities subject in the A levels? Among Eng Lit, History and Econs, which is the better performing subject? Which subject is easier to study/score?

            Perhaps you might want to consider which subject will be of greater value in the future? That question is usually answered by \"Economics\" as it is seen to be useful.* It is also mid-way between Arts and Science, and is something most students have not had a chance to take earlier. My daughter (in JC1 now) is taking 2 sciences too, and she decided to take Econs as her contrasting subject partly because we told her it would be useful and because we believed she would like it (that turned out to be true, thankfully), and partly because she had already taken Lit, Hist and Geog in sec school and thought she'd like to do something new. Her other idea was to take something like Linguistics, but we thought Econs was more her thing.
            *[I don't mean to say that other Arts subjects are not useful, but I know that they are perceived that way by many, especially those who are stronger in sciences. I myself was Arts stream in JC!]

            \"Easy to study and score\" depends a lot on the individual, so I'm not sure looking at national statistics will help. I'm sure the statistics exist somewhere, though they may not be made public?

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • B Offline
              Boys2Men
              last edited by

              Thanks for sharing. I suppose that since Econs is a mid-way subject between art and science, it would be easier to score a distinction as compared with the other arts subjects if one were to get the facts and concepts right?

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • J Offline
                jtoh
                last edited by

                Boys2Men:


                My child told me that he plans to take 2 Science (Bio and Chem). While he is very sure of his choice for the Sciences, he is unsure of which Humanities subject to take. Currently he is taking English Literature as well as History and seems to be doing quite OK for both (scores an average of A2 for both). Some of his friends are suggesting that they should take Economics. As my son is geared towards the Sciences, he seems quite neutral when it comes to making a choice for the Humanities subject. Hence I am trying to see if I can help him in his decision-making. Are they any national statistics on how studentsfare in the Humanities subject in the A levels? Among Eng Lit, History and Econs, which is the better performing subject? Which subject is easier to study/score?
                There are national stats around but they're not easily available. Sometimes schools will mention at briefings what the national average is and how the school performed against it but I haven't seen a chart stating the national stats. For students taking PCM and BCM, Econs tends to be the most popular contrasting subject. Possibly because it's seen as the most useful, and also because it's considered the most 'science-y' of the humanities subjects. Combinations like BCML and BCMH are what some call combis taken up by those who can't decide if they want to take medicine or law. I would say go for the subject the student enjoys most, be it Lit, History, Geog, ELL or Econs. The syllabus in JC is quite intensive so studying something you enjoy will make it less of a struggle when the going gets tough.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • sharonkhooS Offline
                  sharonkhoo
                  last edited by

                  Boys2Men:
                  Thanks for sharing. I suppose that since Econs is a mid-way subject between art and science, it would be easier to score a distinction as compared with the other arts subjects if one were to get the facts and concepts right?

                  I can't answer that! There are people who find Econs hard and uninteresting too, so a lot depends on individual interest and aptitude.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • zbearZ Offline
                    zbear
                    last edited by

                    Boys2Men:
                    Thanks for sharing. I suppose that since Econs is a mid-way subject between art and science, it would be easier to score a distinction as compared with the other arts subjects if one were to get the facts and concepts right?


                    I don't think so. You need to have a passion/interest in the subject in order to score a distinction.

                    Just getting facts n concepts right is not enuf. I don't think it's easy to score A grade n usually Humanities students perform better than Science students but of course, there are exceptions.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • sharonkhooS Offline
                      sharonkhoo
                      last edited by

                      zbear:
                      Boys2Men:

                      Thanks for sharing. I suppose that since Econs is a mid-way subject between art and science, it would be easier to score a distinction as compared with the other arts subjects if one were to get the facts and concepts right?


                      I don't think so. You need to have a passion/interest in the subject in order to score a distinction.

                      Just getting facts n concepts right is not enuf. I don't think it's easy to score A grade n usually Humanities students perform better than Science students but of course, there are exceptions.

                      Econs at A level is still treated as a Humanities subject (more wordy, less mathematical), so I guess that's why Arts students may do better. But once they get to university level, it can get very mathematical.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • S Offline
                        Song22
                        last edited by

                        slmkhoo:
                        zbear:

                        [quote=\"Boys2Men\"]Thanks for sharing. I suppose that since Econs is a mid-way subject between art and science, it would be easier to score a distinction as compared with the other arts subjects if one were to get the facts and concepts right?


                        I don't think so. You need to have a passion/interest in the subject in order to score a distinction.

                        Just getting facts n concepts right is not enuf. I don't think it's easy to score A grade n usually Humanities students perform better than Science students but of course, there are exceptions.

                        Econs at A level is still treated as a Humanities subject (more wordy, less mathematical), so I guess that's why Arts students may do better. But once they get to university level, it can get very mathematical.[/quote]That's what I heard a lot, I have a friend's daughter quit after one year in SMU studying Econs (she did IB), she is more of humanities person and she switched to Liberal Arts . I am curious just how much emphasis is on Maths.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 150
                        • 151
                        • 152
                        • 153
                        • 154
                        • 391
                        • 392
                        • 152 / 392
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy