Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Networking Group - JCs General

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees
    3.9k Posts 434 Posters 1.1m Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • J Offline
      Juz Mum
      last edited by

      slmkhoo:
      Song22:

      That's what I heard a lot, I have a friend's daughter quit after one year in SMU studying Econs (she did IB), she is more of humanities person and she switched to Liberal Arts . I am curious just how much emphasis is on Maths.


      It depends on the university, but it's quite mathematical at higher levels now. Econometric modelling is one of the main techniques for economic research these days, so students have to understand the Maths when they study the various topics. And if they want to do research, they have to be able to really use the Maths. There are options to get even more mathematical depending on what electives are chosen, and some Econs Nobel Prize winners were actually mathematicians who got into economic applications. I've seen some university admissions sites which warn that students applying for Econs courses should have a strong Math foundation (which at that level, I would guess means something like H2 Maths).


      This is a very useful piece of information!
      Thank you for sharing šŸ˜„

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • B Offline
        Boys2Men
        last edited by

        slmkhoo:
        zbear:

        [quote=\"Boys2Men\"]Thanks for sharing. I suppose that since Econs is a mid-way subject between art and science, it would be easier to score a distinction as compared with the other arts subjects if one were to get the facts and concepts right?


        I don't think so. You need to have a passion/interest in the subject in order to score a distinction.

        Just getting facts n concepts right is not enuf. I don't think it's easy to score A grade n usually Humanities students perform better than Science students but of course, there are exceptions.

        Econs at A level is still treated as a Humanities subject (more wordy, less mathematical), so I guess that's why Arts students may do better. But once they get to university level, it can get very mathematical.[/quote]Thanks. I was about to ask why as I have the impression that Econs should be more quantitative than qualitative. Now I know šŸ˜„

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • B Offline
          Boys2Men
          last edited by

          jtoh:
          Boys2Men:



          My child told me that he plans to take 2 Science (Bio and Chem). While he is very sure of his choice for the Sciences, he is unsure of which Humanities subject to take. Currently he is taking English Literature as well as History and seems to be doing quite OK for both (scores an average of A2 for both). Some of his friends are suggesting that they should take Economics. As my son is geared towards the Sciences, he seems quite neutral when it comes to making a choice for the Humanities subject. Hence I am trying to see if I can help him in his decision-making. Are they any national statistics on how studentsfare in the Humanities subject in the A levels? Among Eng Lit, History and Econs, which is the better performing subject? Which subject is easier to study/score?

          There are national stats around but they're not easily available. Sometimes schools will mention at briefings what the national average is and how the school performed against it but I haven't seen a chart stating the national stats. For students taking PCM and BCM, Econs tends to be the most popular contrasting subject. Possibly because it's seen as the most useful, and also because it's considered the most 'science-y' of the humanities subjects. Combinations like BCML and BCMH are what some call combis taken up by those who can't decide if they want to take medicine or law. I would say go for the subject the student enjoys most, be it Lit, History, Geog, ELL or Econs. The syllabus in JC is quite intensive so studying something you enjoy will make it less of a struggle when the going gets tough.

          I see , thanks. I thought I saw somewhere in this forum ( can't remember exactly which thread though) that the the national Econs distinction rate is about 20%. Hence, I thought that the national stats should be available somewhere.
          By the way, why \" Combinations like BCML and BCMH are what some call combis taken up by those who can't decide if they want to take medicine or law\"?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • zbearZ Offline
            zbear
            last edited by

            slmkhoo:

            Econs at A level is still treated as a Humanities subject (more wordy, less mathematical), so I guess that's why Arts students may do better. But once they get to university level, it can get very mathematical.

            This is correct but I don't understand why there is no consistency in subject content from A levels to Uni level. Isn't it very misleading for both Science and Humanities students?

            Any idea why it's so mathematical at tertiary level?

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • J Offline
              jtoh
              last edited by

              zbear:
              slmkhoo:


              Econs at A level is still treated as a Humanities subject (more wordy, less mathematical), so I guess that's why Arts students may do better. But once they get to university level, it can get very mathematical.


              This is correct but I don't understand why there is no consistency in subject content from A levels to Uni level. Isn't it very misleading for both Science and Humanities students?

              Any idea why it's so mathematical at tertiary level?

              Economics modules are wide-ranging. Even back in the day they had more mathematical modules like econometrics, financial economics, money and banking, as well as more descriptive modules like urban economics, developmental economics, international trade etc. University courses are always broader and deeper in range than A levels, and necessarily so. A levels covers just a taster introduction, so it's not surprising that the mathematical areas weren't covered. I don't know about now, but Statistics and Economics were frequently taken together in the past because both skills were required in the real world in economic research.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                schweppes
                last edited by

                jtoh:
                zbear:



                Any idea why it's so mathematical at tertiary level?

                Economics modules are wide-ranging. Even back in the day they had more mathematical modules like econometrics, financial economics, money and banking, as well as more descriptive modules like urban economics, developmental economics, international trade etc. University courses are always broader and deeper in range than A levels, and necessarily so. A levels covers just a taster introduction, so it's not surprising that the mathematical areas weren't covered. I don't know about now, but Statistics and Economics were frequently taken together in the past because both skills were required in the real world in economic research.

                Stats and Econs are still popular combi choices now. Some Econs major students supplement their social sciences degree with business mods.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • J Offline
                  jtoh
                  last edited by

                  Boys2Men:




                  I see , thanks. I thought I saw somewhere in this forum ( can't remember exactly which thread though) that the the national Econs distinction rate is about 20%. Hence, I thought that the national stats should be available somewhere.
                  By the way, why \" Combinations like BCML and BCMH are what some call combis taken up by those who can't decide if they want to take medicine or law\"?
                  Yes the stats are around but it's not officially published in its entirety I don't think. It's more through school briefings or announcements. As for the combinations, people often say those who take BCM are gunning for medicine, and the humanities students are gunning for law. And having lit and history in a BCM combi are therefore those who can't decide between medicine and law. These comments are often passed half in jest so...

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • S Offline
                    Song22
                    last edited by

                    schweppes:


                    Economics modules are wide-ranging. Even back in the day they had more mathematical modules like econometrics, financial economics, money and banking, as well as more descriptive modules like urban economics, developmental economics, international trade etc. University courses are always broader and deeper in range than A levels, and necessarily so. A levels covers just a taster introduction, so it's not surprising that the mathematical areas weren't covered. I don't know about now, but Statistics and Economics were frequently taken together in the past because both skills were required in the real world in economic research.
                    Stats and Econs are still popular combi choices now. Some Econs major students supplement their social sciences degree with business mods.[/quote]

                    Saw an interesting course in NTU, Mathematics and Economics, these 2 subjects are great complement too I believe?

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • S Offline
                      schweppes
                      last edited by

                      Song22:
                      schweppes:



                      Stats and Econs are still popular combi choices now. Some Econs major students supplement their social sciences degree with business mods.

                      Saw an interesting course in NTU, Mathematics and Economics, these 2 subjects are great complement too I believe?

                      Yes, they do complement each other. In fact, there's quite a bit of options & pathways for undergrads to choose from now.

                      For example, apart from a degree in Maths, NUS also offers a major in Data Science & Analytics, and students can complement with business/social sciences mods (either as a second major, minor or electives)

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • G Offline
                        gjooheng
                        last edited by

                        Boys2Men:
                        Juz Mum:


                        Are they any national statistics on how studentsfare in the Humanities subject in the A levels? Among Eng Lit, History and Econs, which is the better performing subject? Which subject is easier to study/score?

                        https://s14.postimg.org/fb0pl5py9/2015_ajc_alevel_results.jpg\">

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 152
                        • 153
                        • 154
                        • 155
                        • 156
                        • 391
                        • 392
                        • 154 / 392
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy