Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Networking Group - JCs General

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees
    3.9k Posts 434 Posters 1.0m Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • zbearZ Offline
      zbear
      last edited by

      isetan:
      Sometimes also depends on the level of difficulty in the exam papers. I heard some students got poor grades in their school papers but in the end get As in their A level results.


      Can share which JCs with this scenario?

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • JenniferJ Offline
        Jennifer
        last edited by

        KTKS:
        Jennifer:



        You should check with your child's school teacher before getting worried over something a tutor says.

        I see. I think it's quicker to get an answer from this forum. From my experience over these 11 years, not all teachers are accommodating and some are even mean. I don't want myself or DD to be a laughing stock. If you know what I mean.


        I believe I have thick skin to ask all sorts of questions. I do not care whether I am to be branded as a laughing stock as long as I get answers and get my points across.

        At the recent PTM, I came across a teacher who is not spontaneous in giving feedback. It is like I press one button, then get one response.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • isetanI Offline
          isetan
          last edited by

          zbear:
          isetan:

          Sometimes also depends on the level of difficulty in the exam papers. I heard some students got poor grades in their school papers but in the end get As in their A level results.



          Can share which JCs with this scenario?

          VJC

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • K Offline
            KTKS
            last edited by

            Jennifer:
            KTKS:

            [quote=\"Jennifer\"]

            You should check with your child's school teacher before getting worried over something a tutor says.

            I see. I think it's quicker to get an answer from this forum. From my experience over these 11 years, not all teachers are accommodating and some are even mean. I don't want myself or DD to be a laughing stock. If you know what I mean.


            I believe I have thick skin to ask all sorts of questions. I do not care whether I am to be branded as a laughing stock as long as I get answers and get my points across.

            At the recent PTM, I came across a teacher who is not spontaneous in giving feedback. It is like I press one button, then get one response.[/quote] :rotflmao: Thanks for sharing.
            In fact I am not ashamed to be branded as such too but it won't reflect well on my child especially when he is already an under-performer in school. Most teachers will only favour top students. Although some teachers may give a list of suggestions on how a student can improve on results but at JC level, it's not easy to improve by 'consulting teachers frequently' (must queue & preferably consult in group), 'form a study group' (not easy to find smart & generous cliques), 'study diligently' (who dares slack in JC), 'time management' (demand from CCA etc), etc. So the more one interacts with teachers, the more they will remind you your child is still under performing. For me, can :siam: tio :siam:

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • JenniferJ Offline
              Jennifer
              last edited by

              KTKS:
              Jennifer:


              I believe I have thick skin to ask all sorts of questions. I do not care whether I am to be branded as a laughing stock as long as I get answers and get my points across.

              At the recent PTM, I came across a teacher who is not spontaneous in giving feedback. It is like I press one button, then get one response.

              :rotflmao: Thanks for sharing.
              In fact I am not ashamed to be branded as such too but it won't reflect well on my child especially when he is already an under-performer in school. Most teachers will only favour top students. Although some teachers may give a list of suggestions on how a student can improve on results but at JC level, it's not easy to improve by 'consulting teachers frequently' (must queue & preferably consult in group), 'form a study group' (not easy to find smart & generous cliques), 'study diligently' (who dares slack in JC), 'time management' (demand from CCA etc), etc. So the more one interacts with teachers, the more they will remind you your child is still under performing. For me, can :siam: tio :siam:

              Both my boys are in the same school now.

              The elder boy is well liked by teachers cos he is a easy to teach student, does not give teachers headache.

              The younger one is on the opposite side of the fence who kena \"reviews\" by the end of first week during sec 1.

              I yet to see all of the younger boy's teachers face to face cos could not get a time slot during the PTM. But I have the mobile number and email address of some of the teachers and we communicate via such means.

              NJC is a small cohort school, so many of the Junior High teachers know my elder boy and know the boys are brothers, always tell me The two brothers are so different.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • zbearZ Offline
                zbear
                last edited by

                KTKS:

                In fact I am not ashamed to be branded as such too but it won't reflect well on my child especially when he is already an under-performer in school. Most teachers will only favour top students. Although some teachers may give a list of suggestions on how a student can improve on results but at JC level, it's not easy to improve by 'consulting teachers frequently' (must queue & preferably consult in group), 'form a study group' (not easy to find smart & generous cliques), 'study diligently' (who dares slack in JC), 'time management' (demand from CCA etc), etc. So the more one interacts with teachers, the more they will remind you your child is still under performing. For me, can :siam: tio :siam:

                If you don't mind sharing, which JC is your dd from?

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • sharonkhooS Offline
                  sharonkhoo
                  last edited by

                  KTKS:
                  In fact I am not ashamed to be branded as such too but it won't reflect well on my child especially when he is already an under-performer in school. Most teachers will only favour top students. Although some teachers may give a list of suggestions on how a student can improve on results but at JC level, it's not easy to improve by 'consulting teachers frequently' (must queue & preferably consult in group), 'form a study group' (not easy to find smart & generous cliques), 'study diligently' (who dares slack in JC), 'time management' (demand from CCA etc), etc. So the more one interacts with teachers, the more they will remind you your child is still under performing. For me, can :siam: tio :siam:

                  I have a different view. My daughter is also under-performing, and I do contact teachers now and again. I attend all PTMs so the form teachers know me well! I don't see that teachers only favour top students - of course they will be praised etc, but that's only natural. So far, I've found that the teachers in my daughter's school (MI, not a JC - maybe that's the difference?) are very willing to communicate about what they feel my daughter may need to do, what support they can offer, what we can do at home etc. Yes, I agree they all tend to say the same things as you list above, but it's all good advice, whether or not the child can make it happen. I like what I see in MI teachers - they are really supportive of their under-performers, maybe because so many of their students are!

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • zbearZ Offline
                    zbear
                    last edited by

                    isetan:
                    zbear:

                    [quote=\"isetan\"]Sometimes also depends on the level of difficulty in the exam papers. I heard some students got poor grades in their school papers but in the end get As in their A level results.



                    Can share which JCs with this scenario?

                    VJC[/quote]
                    This explains. VJC is one of the top JCs with students (some but not all) who can play n play. Come to last minute, with a bit of mugging, they can perform so well.

                    Furthermore, VJC's standard is very high so school exams will not be easy to pass n I am sure they are stringent in marking too.

                    I wont say this for the lower tier JCs (sorry as I don't mean to offend those in this group).

                    This is just my thinking, I maybe wrong in my analysis.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • starlight1968sgS Offline
                      starlight1968sg
                      last edited by

                      In top JCs, there are some who can’t make it. In average JCs, there are some who shine.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • zbearZ Offline
                        zbear
                        last edited by

                        starlight1968sg:
                        In top JCs, there are some who can't make it. In average JCs, there are some who shine.


                        I still think that those who don't shine in top JCs n those who shine in low tier JCs are the minority.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 92
                        • 93
                        • 94
                        • 95
                        • 96
                        • 391
                        • 392
                        • 94 / 392
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        sharontan1067S
                        sharontan1067

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy