Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    I Can Read - Discussion

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved English
    987 Posts 354 Posters 479.8k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • sembgalS Offline
      sembgal
      last edited by

      :evil: ICR now conducts screening tests before they take in your child for class. Trying to up their standard of students.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • I Offline
        I Can Read Singapore
        last edited by

        Hello all,


        I work for I Can Read Singapore and feel very strongly that our programme improves English speaking confidence and reading skills. If you'd like to find out more, we are having an open house at our Novena Centre after the term break. Here is the information:

        I Can Read® Singapore is celebrating I Can Read® Day with an event at our Novena Centre!

        Come join us in celebration on 26th and 27th March, 2016 between 10 am and 5 pm at 10 Sinaran Drive, #04-39 Square 2, Singapore 307506.

        There will be FREE ASSESSMENTS, free balloons and a drawing contest for the children.

        Parents can RSVP for the event at http://bit.ly/icanreadnovena or by calling the centre directly at (65) 6397 7134.

        Parents who RSVP for the event will receive a Free Takara Tomy Mario Kart 7 Racing Eraser worth $10! Parents who book a Free Assessment and sign up for any of our I Can Read® Courses will receive a $50 DISCOUNT VOUCHER towards any I Can Read® Course!

        Don't miss out on this great opportunity to complete a FREE ASSESSMENT, use your DISCOUNT VOUCHER and celebrate I Can Read® Day!

        Please note that we can sign up students to any of our 23 centres at the event. The discount will apply to all our headquarter run centres.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • grapevineG Offline
          grapevine
          last edited by

          Hi. Can anyone explain to me which level a kid needs to complete before starting P1?

          My kid is in ICR preliminary at present. Although he can blend words and read simple books at home his ICR teacher says he is not ready for promotion to the next level. He also does not seem to like the classes. I suspect he is bored with the lessons. I am thinking of withdrawing him from the centre and enrolling him for other English enrichment or private tution where he can progress at a more suitable pace. He has been in the preliminary class for 6 months. Can anyone advise?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • super-momS Offline
            super-mom
            last edited by

            Hi grapevine


            How old is your child? Ideally kids should complete ICR which is a 12-month course to be a full fledged reader. However my boy did ICR for ~7 months, and having completed Vol 1-5 (taught in 6 months) and halfway through Vol 6, he could read well and so I withdrew him from ICR and put him in another enrichment to help him with grammar etc. in preparation for p1.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • B Offline
              beautyseek
              last edited by

              Hi All


              My son is in K2 this year but we observed that he cannot read even simple words. We are getting very worried and would like to sign him up for ICR Parkway. Our aim is for him to be able to read by the time he starts P1 in Jan next year. I hope we are not too late. I called Learning Point to enquire but was told not to even try as the kids there all can read by end of K1!

              Any advice on teachers and programmes at Parkway Centre?

              Any kind mummy willing to lend me name for sign up discounts with ICR?

              THANK YOU!

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • grapevineG Offline
                grapevine
                last edited by

                super-mom:
                Hi grapevine


                How old is your child? Ideally kids should complete ICR which is a 12-month course to be a full fledged reader. However my boy did ICR for ~7 months, and having completed Vol 1-5 (taught in 6 months) and halfway through Vol 6, he could read well and so I withdrew him from ICR and put him in another enrichment to help him with grammar etc. in preparation for p1.
                Hi, Super-mom. My kid is 5, K2 this year. I expected the preschool he was in to be able to teach him to read. I realised he could only say the phonics sounds and could not even blend in October last year. I realised at this rate, he will not be able to cope in P1 and signed him up for ICR. They did an assessment and put him in the preliminary class but six months later, he is still in the preliminary class now. The ICR programme is a 1-year programme, so I was afraid he may not be able to complete it by P1. I'm glad your kid could read halfway through. I hope that happens with my son too :xedfingers: . Some of my friend's children are in remedial classes in P1 cos they cannot cope with the reading skills. I was concerned about spending so much for the ICR classes and if my kid ends up in remedial classes, what a waste of money sending him for enrichment. The purpose of signing him up was to get him ready for P1. Perhaps I will wait till June. If I don't see good improvement, I think I rather spend the money hiring a private tutor!

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • super-momS Offline
                  super-mom
                  last edited by

                  Hi grapevine


                  Vol 6 is basically a recap + reinforcement of vol 1-5. The course is structured, 1 new sound introduced every week, and some home revision, including weekly spelling is expected. Good news is kid can read the express way, but downside may be quite stressful due to fast pace & parent need to guide at home.
                  U may raise ur concern with the teacher to let him promote to ICR, so he can at least cover half a year before p1.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • J Offline
                    jmetta
                    last edited by

                    beautyseek - why dont you just sign up at the road show after their assessment? I feel its better to meet the teacher and chose 1 that you prefer. You will get a discount voucher at road show. My son is at ICR. Not sure there is a referral discount but if you do need, you may pm me.


                    Grapevine - I do agree with Super-mom. Do highlight to the teacher and ask if he can be promoted so he will be able to cope with P1 reading and spelling. We did that last Dec and my son (same age as yours) is now in vol 3. every 3 mths or so they will open a new class (at least for the center we are at), so maybe its a good time to ask now as term just started.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • lee_ylL Offline
                      lee_yl
                      last edited by

                      beautyseek:
                      Hi All


                      My son is in K2 this year but we observed that he cannot read even simple words. We are getting very worried and would like to sign him up for ICR Parkway. Our aim is for him to be able to read by the time he starts P1 in Jan next year. I hope we are not too late. I called Learning Point to enquire but was told not to even try as the kids there all can read by end of K1!

                      Any advice on teachers and programmes at Parkway Centre?

                      Any kind mummy willing to lend me name for sign up discounts with ICR?

                      THANK YOU!
                      Did I miss anything? Why did you call Learning Point to enquire about ICR?

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • B Offline
                        beautyseek
                        last edited by

                        I meant that we called Learning Point earlier (before considering ICR) to try to enrol DS into their K2 but was told to try other ability based programmes in the market if we think DS is weak. They only want to take in strong students.


                        We are looking at centres at Bedok and Marine Parade and quite desperate. Can any kind mummy point me to a good and experienced teacher at ICR for these 2 centres? We hope to get an experienced teacher. Kind of urgent.

                        Thank you

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 86
                        • 87
                        • 88
                        • 89
                        • 90
                        • 98
                        • 99
                        • 88 / 99
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        3

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy