I Can Read - Discussion
-
rosm\" post_id=\"2013090\" time=\"1611534777\" user_id=\"94141:
Update:
Can I check if all I Can Read branches only have one staff at the counter? I went to a branch in the ‘east’ 3 times (2 times last year and 1 time this year), there seems to be only one counter staff there. And obviously this one staff could not handle everything there. Parents going in to enquire, parents going in to register, let students to go in one by one by checking their temperature, dismiss the students one by one to ensure all students go to the their respective parents and not running about. All happening at the same time.
I rarely write bad review but this is really making me angry because I brought my child in for a trial class. I’ve brought her in last year to try but she was reluctant to go in, so I thought okay I shall wait for her to be a little bit older to bring her in. Fast forward 5 months, she’s now 4 years old, I’m thinking to bring her in to try again. I called in and explain to the staff that my child is difficult to enter the classroom on her own due to separation anxiety, otherwise she’s really keen to join the class. The staff said no problem, they understand some kids are like that, need time to adapt. So I brought my child in on that day and she had a meltdown when we reached there (she was very excited prior to reaching there). And you can imagine this ‘one’ staff would not be able to handle it plus have to do everything other thing at the same time. She refused to help to bring her in, she said she can only allow her to go in if she stops crying. And obviously my child would want to cling to me and cry when nobody else help me to bring her in. So finally the staff reluctantly brought her in after I insisted that she should help, otherwise there’s no way we can help her to settle down into the class. So I left to hide at one corner, my child cried for about 5 mins and stopped. The staff brought her into the classroom. Then I overheard the staff chatting with another teacher outside the classroom (the main door was opened and I was waiting outside the center), the staff actually badmouth about my child and me! She said ‘I’m so tired handling that girl, the parent shouldn’t bring her in when she’s still so young, parents nowadays are so different from my time’. (My girl is 4 years old this year, ICR advertise that they accept children from 2.5 years old, and I did call in a day before to prompt them that my child may have separation anxiety and they assured me over the phone that they know how to handle).
Management of ICR please ensure you have sufficient staff, so that your staff will not give such comments and please remember to close the door if you decided to say something ‘not so nice’ about the child/parent.
I think I shall provide an update after seeing some helpful replies from parents.
After the awful experiences at tampines mentioned above. I tried another branch at Pasir Ris. I went for an assessment at Pasir Ris because the staff mentioned that she should be re-assessed since the last one was done some time ago. I asked the assessor (teacher from another branch) whether can allow me to go in with my daughter for 10 minutes for the first lesson, so that at least we are able to get her to go in and settle in in the classroom. The teacher said that she needs to ask the teacher because she’s not the one teaching her and will get back to me. I didn’t receive any reply after two weeks, so I called in and enquire. The staff said that will get the assessor to call me back. I waited again for few days. No reply. So I called in again to enquire, the staff told me...‘we’ve asked the assessor, she says her job is done in terms of assessing’. First, the assessor didn’t call back as promised, left me waiting. Second, the staff also didn’t bother to update me after she got this reply from the assessor, left me waiting again. The whole impression that I got from ICR is everybody just do their own thing, no team work. Even the staff hands are full, Teachers don’t bother to help take temperature and bring students in. When there’s enquiry directed to teacher, staff also doesn’t bother to solve it.
I used to think that my child is not ready, this is the reason given by the staff. After all these unpleasant experiences with ICR, I gave up on ICR. I went for a paid trial with Mindchamp. And I couldn’t believe the stark contrast between ICR and Mindchamp. Mindchamp staffs (there’s quite a number of staff) helped me to settle her in, yes she needed to be carried in by the staff on her first lesson. But the subsequent ones she just walked in by herself. And for the first lesson, they allowed my elder daughter to accompany her in for 10 minutes. The willingness of Mindchamp staffs to help is the key to success for me to be able to enrol her. My daughter is very happy and looking forward to go to mindchamp every week. After every lesson, she would tell me.. ‘can I go to mindchamp again next week?’
I cannot comment on the effectiveness of the program yet as she just attended mindchamp for a month. The reason I didn’t choose mindchamp at the beginning was because of its location and price.
So parents, do not let others tell you that your child is not ready, you just have to choose the right one. -
My child has been with I Can Read and complete the reading course level 1-6. However, there is no pre primary class for her to progress to as most of the kids in her class are not continuing. The school suggested us to withdraw her and join again in June/July in 2022. And since they only told us 1 lesson before the last lesson, center manager has agreed to refund the deposit but they couldn’t refund registration fees although this is not a voluntary withdrawal. That said, we still have to pay for the registration fees again if we will to join again in June/July next year.
We felt this is very unfair and honestly, an extremely displeasing way to end our relationship with the school.
Anyone with similar experience and what’s the outcome with them? -
Need advice - I decided to pull my child out of ICR due to the increasing fees. May I know how other parents are guiding your children without formal phonics classes? Thank you!
-
I have a referral code if anyone is keen.
-
Nana007\" post_id=\"2066555\" time=\"1651848648\" user_id=\"197102:
Hi Nana, I'm keen to have the referral code. Thank you in advance. 😊
I have a referral code if anyone is keen. -
Sent you a PM
-
I am keen to enrol my child. Does anyone has a referral code to share? Pls pm me
-
Hi all, I’m planning to enroll my boy to ICR tiong bahru plaza, can share with me any experience at this branch? any teachers you recommend? Any referral code to share? Thank you!
-
Dear Mummies and Daddies,
I am doing a user research survey for ICanRead, targeting parents of kids aged 9-12 who are attending ICR Academy.
If you have a child aged 9-12 in ICR Academy, please help provide your feedback via the following form! Thank you!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfQ37dhb4BJCtoNfiXpRkhHFr6UKOVf89tjsWcD2Fyj6bYXSg/viewform?usp=sf_link -
nana22\" post_id=\"2095058\" time=\"1673688350\" user_id=\"200564:
I have removed all your other posts except for this one. Please do not spam our Forums.
Dear Mummies and Daddies,
I am doing a user research survey for ICanRead, ...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login