Applying to Universities
-
jtoh\" post_id=\"1904394\" time=\"1554035541\" user_id=\"19505:
Thanks jtoh!
I know of someone who graduated from England recently and the sentiment among the foreign grads is that it is very stressful taking the conversion exam as well as the Bar. I can't remember the stats now but it is a concern.isetan\" post_id=\"1904393\" time=\"1554034954\" user_id=\"57562:
Thanks Schootopia!
Another question- notes that foreign law graduates require to take 6months conversion course back home. Is it difficult to pass? Also, is the bar exam becoming more harder nowadays?
Having said that, schooltopia's points are valid. Especially if you graduate top of your class.
I think getting to graduate for being top of the class is a dream. Cos those students who get admitted there are execellent in results too.
But what happens if fail the conversion course? Can try and try again correct? -
isetan\" post_id=\"1904395\" time=\"1554035849\" user_id=\"57562:
Thanks jtoh!
I know of someone who graduated from England recently and the sentiment among the foreign grads is that it is very stressful taking the conversion exam as well as the Bar. I can't remember the stats now but it is a concern.jtoh\" post_id=\"1904394\" time=\"1554035541\" user_id=\"19505:
[quote=isetan post_id=1904393 time=1554034954 user_id=57562]Thanks Schootopia!
Another question- notes that foreign law graduates require to take 6months conversion course back home. Is it difficult to pass? Also, is the bar exam becoming more harder nowadays?
Having said that, schooltopia's points are valid. Especially if you graduate top of your class.
I think getting to graduate for being top of the class is a dream. Cos those students who get admitted there are execellent in results too.
But what happens if fail the conversion course? Can try and try again correct?[/quote]Yes you can retake Part A. I am not familiar with the details though. -
Thks jtoh.
-
Schootopia\" post_id=\"1904414\" time=\"1554052223\" user_id=\"143961:
Thanks Schootopia for valuable advise!
The conversion course is only to get foreign-trained students knowledgeable in some local laws. Distinction/pass/fail correspond to outstanding/competent/incompetent performance. If you want to practice in Singapore, you need to be at least competent with local laws. Nobody wants to go to a lawyer that gives bad/wrong advice.isetan\" post_id=\"1904393\" time=\"1554034954\" user_id=\"57562:
Thanks Schootopia!
Another question- notes that foreign law graduates require to take 6months conversion course back home. Is it difficult to pass? Also, is the bar exam becoming more harder nowadays?
Similarly, the Singapore Bar Examination (Part B) is just to ensure competence in the more common practice areas in Singapore. Many other countries have Bar exams to pass if you want to practice there, including England and Wales.
At the end of the day, these are just the bottom rungs of the professional ladder. That's why they call it legal practice.
If your girl can make it into UCL Law, you can have confidence in her ability. I doubt these tests will pose issues as long as she puts in effort.
å ę²¹ ļ¼
By the way, 1st class Honours does not equal 1st in the class. -
Hi. May I know if it is common to secure a place at an overseas university first before applying for scholarship?
If we accepted the overseas university offer but eventually did not get the scholarship, can we still reject the offer?
Thank you.
-
jtoh\" post_id=\"1904394\" time=\"1554035541\" user_id=\"19505:
My friend graduated from England and was accepted to the Bar not too long ago. She took a slightly unconventional path: from Poly to University in UK for her Law Degree. While her university (now omitted from the Singapore Institute of Legal Education list) isn't as highly ranked as UCL , I don't recall she having any difficulties clearing the local exams.
I know of someone who graduated from England recently and the sentiment among the foreign grads is that it is very stressful taking the conversion exam as well as the Bar. I can't remember the stats now but it is a concern.isetan\" post_id=\"1904393\" time=\"1554034954\" user_id=\"57562:
Thanks Schootopia!
Another question- notes that foreign law graduates require to take 6months conversion course back home. Is it difficult to pass? Also, is the bar exam becoming more harder nowadays?
Having said that, schooltopia's points are valid. Especially if you graduate top of your class. -
linden2000\" post_id=\"1905279\" time=\"1554542378\" user_id=\"34197:
It's not just common, it's the norm for girls. For boys who have to serve NS, they have more time and can appy for a scholarship first. For girls, they will have to apply to overseas universities during their JC2 year (dates vary depending on country). Some students may be specially invited early to apply for scholarships, but most only apply after the A level results are released.
Hi. May I know if it is common to secure a place at an overseas university first before applying for scholarship?
If we accepted the overseas university offer but eventually did not get the scholarship, can we still reject the offer?
Thank you.
Overseas universities have different dates for students to comfirm if they are accepting the place offered. Most don't require an immediate confirmation after an offer is made. Even if the student has made a firm commitment to accept the offered place, I'm not sure what the university can do to him if he finally decides not to show up. Of course, that's not a recommended thing to do. -
floppy\" post_id=\"1905282\" time=\"1554543511\" user_id=\"97579:
My friend graduated from England and was accepted to the Bar not too long ago. She took a slightly unconventional path: from Poly to University in UK for her Law Degree. While her university (now omitted from the Singapore Institute of Legal Education list) isn't as highly ranked as UCL , I don't recall she having any difficulties clearing the local exams.[/quote]Maybe circumstances have changed in the last few years? The person I spoke to took the Bar a couple of months ago.
I know of someone who graduated from England recently and the sentiment among the foreign grads is that it is very stressful taking the conversion exam as well as the Bar. I can't remember the stats now but it is a concern.jtoh\" post_id=\"1904394\" time=\"1554035541\" user_id=\"19505:
[quote=isetan post_id=1904393 time=1554034954 user_id=57562]Thanks Schootopia!
Another question- notes that foreign law graduates require to take 6months conversion course back home. Is it difficult to pass? Also, is the bar exam becoming more harder nowadays?
Having said that, schooltopia's points are valid. Especially if you graduate top of your class. -
slmkhoo\" post_id=\"1905289\" time=\"1554545862\" user_id=\"28674:
Many thanks for your reply.
It's not just common, it's the norm for girls. For boys who have to serve NS, they have more time and can appy for a scholarship first. For girls, they will have to apply to overseas universities during their JC2 year (dates vary depending on country). Some students may be specially invited early to apply for scholarships, but most only apply after the A level results are released.linden2000\" post_id=\"1905279\" time=\"1554542378\" user_id=\"34197:
Hi. May I know if it is common to secure a place at an overseas university first before applying for scholarship?
If we accepted the overseas university offer but eventually did not get the scholarship, can we still reject the offer?
Thank you.
Overseas universities have different dates for students to comfirm if they are accepting the place offered. Most don't require an immediate confirmation after an offer is made. Even if the student has made a firm commitment to accept the offered place, I'm not sure what the university can do to him if he finally decides not to show up. Of course, that's not a recommended thing to do. -
Came across this post accidentally and realise I could provide some answers. I was on this forum a few years ago when my DD was taking her PSLE and still recognise some of your names š.
My DD is now in NUS law. Her brothers are young practising lawyers. The past few years have seen alot of changes for law graduates because of the glut. Law is not as glamorous nor high paying as it was in the past, but it is still a viable although stressful career choice. I suppose the same can be said of other popular choices like med and pharmacy.
Part A is the exam that returning overseas law grads take. Hearsay that the passing rate is now lower than 50%, some online sources say as low as 30%. Once through, the part B bar exam passing rate seems to be normal.
I would say the most important aspect of our children going into law is to manage their and our expectations. The competition is cut throat, and not enough older lawyers are good managers of people. Some are really bad. The high burn out rate is due to the stress, long working hours and inability to get into a bigger law firm for career progression.
Those who who get through the first few years or so are generally quite well paid. But everyone should go in with their eyes open.
Further changes ahead:
https://ifonlysingaporeans.blogspot.com/2018/09/law-graduates-to-face-more-stringent.html?m=1
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better š
Register Login