Compulsory Overseas Trip
-
hi all parents,
My 5 cents worth of thoughts here. I have 2 dd, older one in Sec 2.
(My personal opinion) I feel that parents here (in Singapore) are sheltering their children TOO much. I have no problems letting my dd go on a 5 days trip to Beijing last year (Sec 1). Of course a little worried but I have always taught her independence since 2 yrs old.
When we were in Australia, the children there start going for camps since P1. P1 camp is a one night in school, to teach them independence and doing things themselves. P2: 2-night camp nearby, P3 3-night camp and so on. These camps teach the children to be independent, pitching their own tents, cooking, cleaning duty and so on. In Singapore, the children start going for the a 2-day camp in P5 and it is in Singapore, all fenced up with dorms. When my daughter came back to Singapore and went for the P5 camp, she was shocked… "mummy, why is it call camping when the camp site is fenced up". What I’m trying to say is… if children in other countries can do, why cant our children.
So parents, we must always teach children to be independent and learn to let go. Our kids here are smart!! -
Lynn2010:
(My personal opinion) I feel that parents here (in Singapore) are sheltering their children TOO much. I have no problems letting my dd go on a 5 days trip to Beijing last year (Sec 1). Of course a little worried but I have always taught her independence since 2 yrs old...
Indeed. I let my P4 son go to Guangdong with his fencing team for a couple of weeks over the Dec holidays. Of course we were worried to death, but it turned out fine and he himself was more happy to get away from our daily nagging than being homesick :roll: -
summer:
Creative O.[/quote]This camp for HCI sec 1 leh.girlmum:
[quote=\"summer\"]Off topic....the first time dd was away from home was the K2 graduation camp. It was a 3 days 2 nights camp at St John Island. No parent volunteers. I really salute the teachers for their responsibilities...Some of the children were too busy to miss the parents....
K2 camp at St John Island????? 3 days & 2 nights??? :!: :!:
I DOUBLE :salute: :salute: the teachers. Bringing the K2s out to the zoo/underwater world is enough to drain me out. Making sure that they're alright, following the correct group/teacher, eating well/drink enough water and most importantly - learning objective met. (the list goes on....)
Nevertheless, it's an golden opportunity for the child to learn and I admire the courage the school had to organize such a daring camp.
Care to disclose the name of the school? -
Camp for K2 kids in St John’s ???
The principal and teachers are really brave to take on such a challenging task.
My neighbour’s son was homesick when he had to stay overnight in school in P3, but in P4 he wanted to go to Muar for the weekend. The class had to write an essay to explain why they should be allowed to go. In the end, he managed to convince the teacher and his parents.
ChiefKiasu,
Did your son sleep over at grandparents place by himself b4 the trip to China ? My son refuses to do that even for 1 night. I guess I have to learn to let go sooner or later since he has to do NS. -
janet_lee88:
Nope. He only had a 1 night sleepover at a camp in P3.ChiefKiasu,
Did your son sleep over at grandparents place by himself b4 the trip to China ? My son refuses to do that even for 1 night. I guess I have to learn to let go sooner or later since he has to do NS. -
This compulsory overseas trip is really a nightmare to me…hope that day can be delayed as far as possible.
-
You can try to see if you can be a parent volunteer. If you are willing to pay your own fares, they may accept.
-
ooptimizer:
You can try to see if you can be a parent volunteer. If you are willing to pay your own fares, they may accept.
Thanks. will check but I think some trips quite tough.
I also heard at P5 compulsory to go for National Day parade to be spectators.... :roll: :roll: :roll: Call for patriotism at the expense of their safety, I cannot fathom. -
Aiyah, try to look at it like this: Many people ballot every year still cannot get any National Day tickets, now your son has free ticket to watch the preview, don't complain lah

-
ooptimizer:
Aiyah, try to look at it like this: Many people ballot every year still cannot get any National Day tickets, now your son has free ticket to watch the preview, don't complain lah

Aiyah...you pay me money I also don't want to go to ND parade. One man's meat is another's poison. I wish the school can do more constructive things than trying to instill such patriotism. I believe patriotism will come with the right experience, not from ND parades la.. :lol: Anyone want that ticket, I happily surrender if we have a choice indeed!!!
You know my child enjoy watching the parade over the TV, can zoom in and get closeup views, why go to live shows when physically not able to deal with such big crowds at that age? If stampede happens due to some mad people, who is going to be responsible?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login