Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Ang Pow Issues...

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Recess Time
    384 Posts 86 Posters 141.7k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • phankaoP Offline
      phankao
      last edited by

      concern2:
      phankao:



      1.My own parents have to give more lah. Like as least S$800-S$1k.
      2.Own kids give S$50 each - after all, own kids, and X2 bc we want to keep the Cantonese tradition of giving 1 angbao from each parent - at least keep the tradition within our family.

      3.Relatives'/neighbour kids who \"bai-nian\" S$20 each, or else too paiseh, since we have more kids than most of them.

      4. All others, we prepare only S$6 ... but so far don't have these \"unsolicited\" \"Bai-nian\". I think people also would avoid coming to \"bai-nian\" to us if they have kids.

      We don't give to all those miscellaneous people.

      :yikes: You are so generous! - and rich 😂

      I usually give S$6 for primary school relatives, but DH says should give 'doubles', so either S$4 or S$8 (since S$6=3 S$2 notes). This year, I didn't get to see many of my relatives with children, so for those whom we met, I gave out the S$8 instead of S$6.

      Nope, we probably give way fewer angbaos than most of you. ;D We tend to visit mostly the elderly relatives - no kids around. See, even relatives avoid being at the elderly's house when we come to \"bai-nian\" with our 4 kids. 😂

      Today will probably be the last day we \"bai-nian\". In total, we would have given out 9 of those S$20 angbaos. And all of ONE S$6 angbao. I generally just do not initiate giving angbaos bc that *forces* the other party to have to give angbaos to our 4 kids, so I think not very polite. Of course, no such reservations among relatives, bc it's a definite MUST. Oh, and I only give angbao to ONE parent. Although, since I'm not working, all these have to be foot by DH. :scared:

      We don't go by age of the child. Aiyoh, imagine - I have toddler and also secondary and JC kid - won't it give you a big headache if I were your relative? Then you have to prepare different-value angbaos for each of my kids? My kids get jealous when they open their angbaos, then how??? HAHA!!! 😢 You have headache or I have headache over that situation? *hehe* :slapshead:

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • C Offline
        concern2
        last edited by

        phankao:

        We don't go by age of the child. Aiyoh, imagine - I have toddler and also secondary and JC kid - won't it give you a big headache if I were your relative? Then you have to prepare different-value angbaos for each of my kids? My kids get jealous when they open their angbaos, then how??? HAHA!!! 😢 You have headache or I have headache over that situation? *hehe* :slapshead:
        :rotflmao: Yes, phankao, I have these 'demominations' in my Ang Pow wallet: S$4, S$6, S$8, S$12 and S$20, each parents' S$100, set aside from the rest, and I differentiate them by Ang Pow Packet designs. Sec and JC same amount, those working but not married another amount. But to close nieces and nephews, all S$20, so no need to fight over. 😂

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • phankaoP Offline
          phankao
          last edited by

          concern2:
          phankao:


          We don't go by age of the child. Aiyoh, imagine - I have toddler and also secondary and JC kid - won't it give you a big headache if I were your relative? Then you have to prepare different-value angbaos for each of my kids? My kids get jealous when they open their angbaos, then how??? HAHA!!! 😢 You have headache or I have headache over that situation? *hehe* :slapshead:

          :rotflmao: Yes, phankao, I have these 'demominations' in my Ang Pow wallet: S$4, S$6, S$8, S$12 and S$20, each parents' S$100, set aside from the rest, and I differentiate them by Ang Pow Packet designs. Sec and JC same amount, those working but not married another amount. But to close nieces and nephews, all S$20, so no need to fight over. 😂

          You must go visiting to many places then! haha. I used to have those in the earlier years - really headache. Then I realised that I don't really use much of the different values. So now it's only S$6 or S$20.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • starlight1968sgS Offline
            starlight1968sg
            last edited by

            I have a bil and sil who are still single and in late 30s: $10 each

            (I take it as I dropped $20 every year)

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • DesertWindD Offline
              DesertWind
              last edited by

              Angelight:
              Woah...you are generous, pal! Unmarried colleagues, rubbish collectors and cleaners you also give? That's the good thing about earning your own income, more spending power, unlike homemakers like me, got to budget, budget, budget...

              This year my MIL rejected my ang pow only accept the kum. The office cleaner also said \"No need, but thanks\". Pantry lady said \"Wah, so good ah, I also have?\" Then after I walked away called after me \"BTW, Happy New Year!\".

              I felt like such a fool.

              The rubbish collectors (3 all from China) seems quite appreciative though. The school bus drivers seemed like could not care less.

              Probably next year I won't give to all these \"miscellaneous\" people already except for the rubbish collectors.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • P Offline
                peapot
                last edited by

                Oh! I never give neighbors before! Btw, is $6 the minimum now? I still give other maid’s $4.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • P Offline
                  peapot
                  last edited by

                  Btw, normally yr parents or inlaws shouldn’t reject our Ang pow. I find it very odd. I think only other elderly may reject because they are not close to us.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • C Offline
                    concern2
                    last edited by

                    phankao:
                    concern2:

                    [quote=\"phankao\"]
                    We don't go by age of the child. Aiyoh, imagine - I have toddler and also secondary and JC kid - won't it give you a big headache if I were your relative? Then you have to prepare different-value angbaos for each of my kids? My kids get jealous when they open their angbaos, then how??? HAHA!!! 😢 You have headache or I have headache over that situation? *hehe* :slapshead:

                    :rotflmao: Yes, phankao, I have these 'demominations' in my Ang Pow wallet: S$4, S$6, S$8, S$12 and S$20, each parents' S$100, set aside from the rest, and I differentiate them by Ang Pow Packet designs. Sec and JC same amount, those working but not married another amount. But to close nieces and nephews, all S$20, so no need to fight over. 😂

                    You must go visiting to many places then! haha. I used to have those in the earlier years - really headache. Then I realised that I don't really use much of the different values. So now it's only S$6 or S$20.[/quote]Yeah, I'd probably consider simplifying them hereon...

                    BTW, how do you feel about giving Ang Pows to older relatives who are still single? I find it could get awkward. For those younger than me, they'd say thank you and accept gracefully, but for some who are older, you have your MIL or DH shooing you to give on one hand and the older, single relative rejecting on the other hand :oops: Donno what to do..put back to own wallet also paiseh..
                    Some relatives reject by saying,\"No need, no need, we are working already, no need\" whilst pushing your hand away assuringly. Those are easier to handle..

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • FunzF Offline
                      Funz
                      last edited by

                      :? I was told the protocol is the one who is an 'elder' in status and is married has to give ang bao to their 'juniors' who are unmarried. Not suppose to give to your 'elders'. Only exception is your own parents and grandparents. You give as a symbol of filial piety.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • MMMM Offline
                        MMM
                        last edited by

                        For us, we mainly prepare the following :

                        $500 - parents, pils and grandparents each
                        $100 - kids and our maid
                        $20 - close nieces and nephews
                        $10 - Family with only 1 child or grown up cousins. Also sils’ maids who always come to our place
                        $6 - General (We’ve 3 kids so we don’t want others to lugi).
                        $4 - Maids we meet at relatives’ house.

                        So far, I don’t give cousins/ relatives who are single and older than me. There is a elderly auntie whom we visit. But I never give her red packet because she is well to do.

                        Separately dh also gives angpow to his auntie whose family situation is so so.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 27
                        • 28
                        • 29
                        • 30
                        • 31
                        • 38
                        • 39
                        • 29 / 39
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy