Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Teaching and Learning Phonics

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved English
    851 Posts 111 Posters 470.1k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • T Offline
      tamarind
      last edited by

      sunset_dae:
      Hi Tamarind


      A word can have a few meanings, example: jig can means a scottish folk dance, or even machine or jig-saw puzzle.. which one should we use to explain to a child? I explain to him its a form of dance and yet when he comes across books on machines explaining on rigs, he will tell me: Mummy, rig is dance not machines...\"
      Personally I think that we should explain one meaning will do, the child will learn more about the word when he grows older.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • W Offline
        Wesim
        last edited by

        Dear tamarind,


        I truly admire you for your perseverance and determination. I am still not very good at teaching phonics. So, will be passing the baton to the expert.

        If you do know of an experienced Phonics teacher and willing to teach a 3+ years old girl and can travel to Sembawang area, do let me know.

        Thanks!!

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • A Offline
          autumnbronze
          last edited by

          tamarind:
          autumnbronze,

          Thank you for sharing ! Those look like excellent resources. How much does a set cost and where did you buy it ?
          Hi Tamarind,

          You are welcome šŸ˜„

          I bought this set from Sept 21. Suffice to say, it burnt a huge hole in my pocket :oops: :oops:, way much more expensive than the Leapfrog DVD.

          But then again, I have a kind of 'no holds barred' personal policy when it comes to purchasing books, especially if I consider them as a long term investment šŸ˜„

          I was introduced to them when I attended a short phonics course conducted by Lorna Whiston 2 years ago. There is a cheaper version of it that costs about $28 I think, which consists of one book and the CD, but its not from Oxford. I have provided a random link for you to take a look.

          http://r2learntoys.com/31-Ants-on-the-Apple-Song-book-and-CD.html

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • T Offline
            tamarind
            last edited by

            autumnbronze,

            Thanks for sharing šŸ˜„

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • laughingcatL Offline
              laughingcat
              last edited by

              Hello Tamarind,


              HAHAHAHAHA!!! This evening while my boy was reading halfway through the P&J level 8, he suddenly stoped halfway through and turned to me. Telling me it is tiring to read. I edged him on, telling him how proud I was that he is able to read to me. Then he continues without a further fuss. šŸ™

              I knew this day will come soon. HAHAHAHAHA. šŸ˜‰ Does your boy have the same reaction? How do you cope such situation leh. Any idea? :idea:

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • T Offline
                tamarind
                last edited by

                laughingcat:
                Hello Tamarind,


                HAHAHAHAHA!!! This evening while my boy was reading halfway through the P&J level 8, he suddenly stoped halfway through and turned to me. Telling me it is tiring to read. I edged him on, telling him how proud I was that he is able to read to me. Then he continues without a further fuss. šŸ™

                I knew this day will come soon. HAHAHAHAHA. šŸ˜‰ Does your boy have the same reaction? How do you cope such situation leh. Any idea? :idea:

                Hi laughingcat,
                I know how you feel šŸ˜‰ When my boy was reading the Peter and Jane books, I clapped and cheered everyday after he completed reading a page, he felt very proud of himself and he was happy to read, especially the higher levels, so that he can \"show off\". His Daddy is also very impressed and my boy is very happy with that. I think every child naturally wants to please his parents, so I believe that encouragement is very important.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • laughingcatL Offline
                  laughingcat
                  last edited by

                  Yeah! I have rewarded him with toys and ice-creams. Also with loads of praises as well.


                  I think I will just flood him with lots of hugs and kisses :rahrah:

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • S Offline
                    sunset_dae
                    last edited by

                    I attended 2 days of adult phonics class conducted by Liza, director of "Read in a week".

                    I must admit l have really learn alot from her, she taught me how to do blending, breaking and reading a word and using dictonary to do phonetic.
                    The 2 days lessons cost me abt $180, but I think its really worth it and I have a clearer picture of how to teach my son phonics.
                    By following tamarind phonics blog, my 3.5 year old son is now able to read P&J until 1B which Im so proud of him!
                    Personally, I realised children is able to read out a word faster if there is an adult who can do revision with him daily rather than sending him to phonics class.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • laughingcatL Offline
                      laughingcat
                      last edited by

                      sunset_dae:
                      I attended 2 days of adult phonics class conducted by Liza, director of \"Read in a week\".

                      I must admit l have really learn alot from her, she taught me how to do blending, breaking and reading a word and using dictonary to do phonetic.
                      The 2 days lessons cost me abt $180, but I think its really worth it and I have a clearer picture of how to teach my son phonics.
                      By following tamarind phonics blog, my 3.5 year old son is now able to read P&J until 1B which Im so proud of him!
                      Personally, I think chiidren is able to read out a word faster if there is an adult who can do revision with him daily rather than sending him to phonics class
                      Yeah. Totally agreed with you. Like yourself, I have one teacher that provide a private lesson for me at my home. She provides the teaching materials, share the types of materials needed and also assessed my child's readiness. After that I own time own target.

                      That really helps me to ease in the guidance and ease my child learning ladder as well. :lol:

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • A Offline
                        autumnbronze
                        last edited by

                        sunset_dae:
                        I attended 2 days of adult phonics class conducted by Liza, director of \"Read in a week\".

                        I must admit l have really learn alot from her, she taught me how to do blending, breaking and reading a word and using dictonary to do phonetic.
                        The 2 days lessons cost me abt $180, but I think its really worth it and I have a clearer picture of how to teach my son phonics.
                        By following tamarind phonics blog, my 3.5 year old son is now able to read P&J until 1B which Im so proud of him!
                        Personally, I realised children is able to read out a word faster if there is an adult who can do revision with him daily rather than sending him to phonics class.
                        Hi sunset_dae,

                        Hey, kudos to ya :celebrate:

                        Yes. I do agree that if we can help our child along in teaching him how to read, all the more better.

                        I read with interest about the phonics course you attended. Would you mind sharing more details about the 2 day course ie was it group session as in a workshop session, were materials provide etc ...? Also, where is \"Read in a Week\" located?

                        As mentioned earlier, the course I attended was more than 2 years ago. Wouldn't mind considering a refresher course, esp when it comes to teaching blending etc...

                        MTIA šŸ˜„ šŸ˜„

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 65
                        • 66
                        • 67
                        • 68
                        • 69
                        • 85
                        • 86
                        • 67 / 86
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy