Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M Offline
      mashy
      last edited by

      nugget:
      Blokus:


      My son also couldn't tell me what happened in school at 3 years old. I was taught to give him multiple choice answers to help him relate to us what goes on in school. Like 'did you cry because teacher scolded you or you don't want mummy to go?' etc. And yes, try asking questions that requires only 'yes' 'no' answers. Don't give up, it will get better.

      Now my son can tell me a little detail of his day in school although he can be quite incoherent. Sometimes I have to ask alot of questions to get an idea, especially if it's new experience for him.

      Don't give up! :rahrah:

      Yup, I agreed with Blokus, my son also can answer if I give him multiple choice questions. Today he went for an excursion at the toy museum. I ask him what did he see there? He say \"down there have mickey and minnie mouse, have or dun have?\"..

      Although his sentence structure is totally off, but I am happy that at least he tell me he saw mickey and minnie mouse.. We got to totally understand our child in order to help him or her. Know him/her inside out.. Then what I did was I corrected him, I say \"Oh you saw Mickey and Minnie Mouse in the museum?\". Then he say yes, then i asked him to repeat after me \"I saw mickey and minnie mouse in the toy museum\".

      Then I went off to ask him if he see who else which, super man? Elmo etc..

      Haha, my boy's sentence structure is also very bad. That's why we always scratch our heads when he's trying to tell us something. Had to help him break it down into bite size for him to be able to tell us. Like today, I got him to relate what happened on his way to lunch to his daddy.

      Oh, and I'm so happy today. We met my ex classmate while out today. He not only greeted my friend, he was also able to carry a simple conversation with her. 🙂 He didn't keep quiet and ignored her like what he usually does.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • B Offline
        Blokus
        last edited by

        nugget:
        Blokus,


        Your son speak like that too? I thought only my son speak like this...

        Yah! I showed my hub what you wrote, he smiled coz he could relate to your son's way of speaking too! 😄 The style is very similar! Like say if he's pretending a part of our house is the lift, he will come to me & say 'the lift is here, is it? Is it?' And yah, when relating about his day he use the word 'here' inappropriately too. Like he was telling me there was dental check in school he said ' the nurse is waiting here' when it should be 'waiting in the classroom' or he can say 'i put my bag here' when he should say 'i put my bag on the shelf in school' etc.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • B Offline
          Blokus
          last edited by

          mashy:


          Haha, my boy's sentence structure is also very bad. That's why we always scratch our heads when he's trying to tell us something. Had to help him break it down into bite size for him to be able to tell us. Like today, I got him to relate what happened on his way to lunch to his daddy.

          Oh, and I'm so happy today. We met my ex classmate while out today. He not only greeted my friend, he was also able to carry a simple conversation with her. 🙂 He didn't keep quiet and ignored her like what he usually does.

          Awesome! Well done! Mine also tend to ignore questions directed at him. But when i nag at him to 'answer the question!' he can even when i don't repeat the question. So I think he heard the question but either choose not to respond or what :?

          I'm also very happy today. He voluntarily told me things that happened at school today. Whoohoooooo! We've got good reasons to cheer! :celebrate:

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • H Offline
            helplessmum3
            last edited by

            Thanks thanks mummies,


            Understand now… I will try these out for yes n no answer.

            I never do before ,

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • D Offline
              dynamic1
              last edited by

              Good day parents, we're a group of J1 students currently working on our A level H1 Project Work (PW) project and we would like to gather your valuable feedback on the effectiveness of current therapies available for children with autism as well as your opinion on the creation of a structured sports program for them.


              the link can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/pwsurveydynamic

              Thank you so much for your kind attention! 🙂

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • H Offline
                happyheart
                last edited by

                Does anyone has experience with Chithra from Kaleidoscope Therapy Centre? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • C Offline
                  chibi
                  last edited by

                  my daughter, who is in P1 seems to have mood swings this week .

                  She was late for school today, because she refused to wear her school uniform. sigh, she wore her uniform then she took it off and told me that she doesn't want to go school.
                  I asked her why, she can't give me a reason.
                  After talking to her for like 5 mins, on why she has to go to school, she finally wore her school uniform.
                  But she was late , for around 10 mins.
                  Her mood swings happen suddenly and goes away very quickly too.
                  She was ok when on the way to school, and wave goodbye to me happily at the main gate.
                  But i was like, what happen actually?
                  She is having her CA this week, and today is her chinese paper.
                  I was thinking isit because she feels stressed? 😓
                  But she seems always the cool cool type during previous tests.
                  I confided in one of my colleague about this morning, she told me to take it easy, saying normal kids also have mood swings, and even adults have them too.Its's just a one off thing, don't take it too hard.
                  but i can't help but feeling worried. she doesn't usually say she doesn't want to go school, but only for this morning. :sad:

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    mashy
                    last edited by

                    chibi:
                    my daughter, who is in P1 seems to have mood swings this week .

                    She was late for school today, because she refused to wear her school uniform. sigh, she wore her uniform then she took it off and told me that she doesn't want to go school.
                    I asked her why, she can't give me a reason.
                    After talking to her for like 5 mins, on why she has to go to school, she finally wore her school uniform.
                    But she was late , for around 10 mins.
                    Her mood swings happen suddenly and goes away very quickly too.
                    She was ok when on the way to school, and wave goodbye to me happily at the main gate.
                    But i was like, what happen actually?
                    She is having her CA this week, and today is her chinese paper.
                    I was thinking isit because she feels stressed? 😓
                    But she seems always the cool cool type during previous tests.
                    I confided in one of my colleague about this morning, she told me to take it easy, saying normal kids also have mood swings, and even adults have them too.Its's just a one off thing, don't take it too hard.
                    but i can't help but feeling worried. she doesn't usually say she doesn't want to go school, but only for this morning. :sad:
                    I think like you said, she's stressed over her CA papers. I think it will be all clear by the end of her CA. 🙂

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • I Offline
                      ImMeeMee
                      last edited by

                      chibi:
                      my daughter, who is in P1 seems to have mood swings this week .

                      She was late for school today, because she refused to wear her school uniform. sigh, she wore her uniform then she took it off and told me that she doesn't want to go school.
                      I asked her why, she can't give me a reason.
                      After talking to her for like 5 mins, on why she has to go to school, she finally wore her school uniform.
                      But she was late , for around 10 mins.
                      Her mood swings happen suddenly and goes away very quickly too.
                      She was ok when on the way to school, and wave goodbye to me happily at the main gate.
                      But i was like, what happen actually?
                      She is having her CA this week, and today is her chinese paper.
                      I was thinking isit because she feels stressed? 😓
                      But she seems always the cool cool type during previous tests.
                      I confided in one of my colleague about this morning, she told me to take it easy, saying normal kids also have mood swings, and even adults have them too.Its's just a one off thing, don't take it too hard.
                      but i can't help but feeling worried. she doesn't usually say she doesn't want to go school, but only for this morning. :sad:
                      chibi

                      hope you are feeling better by now.

                      Professionals tell me that as the child grows and becomes more aware, the same issues that didnt use to cause a reaction may now become triggers to certain behaviour.

                      As my dd3 grew, she showed more tantrums than previously. I used to panick and thought that she was regressing - but I have come to learn that its just part of her growing up and her reactions to her environment. I am also beginning to get used to her style - one trait goes off and another one will appear.

                      Its a dull ache when the child shows negative traits that were previously not there, but no choice have to manage accordingly. The positive part is that at least she could be convinced by you to wear her uniform back, and that you are able to find a possible cause for her behavior. That is already two things down for you to nail things down and find possible solutions.

                      Hope this helps.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • I Offline
                        ImMeeMee
                        last edited by

                        Mummies


                        Thought to share that I chanced upon this website that has a lot of free picture cards on various things - emotions, social skills, daily routines etc.

                        I thought its quite a good resource for myself. check it out and hope it helps you!

                        http://www.visualaidsforlearning.com/

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 171
                        • 172
                        • 173
                        • 174
                        • 175
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 173 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        sharonkhooS
                        sharonkhoo

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy