Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M Offline
      mashy
      last edited by

      specialboymum:
      mashy:

      Specialboymum


      Didn't they give u a report after the diagnosis? I was given a psychological report to say that he has autism and that if required, I could submit the letter for Chinese exemption. It has suggestions on how to help my boy, his weaknesses and strengths, iq assessment etc. I even gave a copy to his form teacher. My boy is going to see them in Nov, also same thing, we didn't use any of their services. I wonder if they will discharge us when we see them in nov...

      Yes, we got a psychological report from them last year, which I also submit to his school before he started primary 1. The report is prepared by psychologist and must be sign by doctor at KKH CDU in order to be valid.
      I understand the report will not be valid forever leh. If I need to apply for any exemption, I will need to submit an updated one. Our plan is to let him go \"blur\" through lower primary, and when he still show that he couldn't cope when it is closer to PSLE, we will then apply for exemption.

      That's so silly right? Didn't they say that autism is not curable? It's like shooting themselves in e mouth. Ok, I better ask the CDU dr when I see her in nov.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • M Offline
        mashy
        last edited by

        helplessmum3:
        Mashy, you mean MMI?


        800++/mth i can't afford. šŸ˜ž
        When u add up all the therapists also a lot leh. For myself, I rather see lesser therapists and better sch environment. Reason being that he is exposed to it everyday. That's where he learns to behave like any other kid and it's much more important than therapies. I rather see less freq therapies and apply what I learned from them at home.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • K Offline
          Karkar
          last edited by

          deleted

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • K Offline
            Karkar
            last edited by

            Deleted

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • K Offline
              Karkar
              last edited by

              mashy:
              helplessmum3:

              Mashy, you mean MMI?


              800++/mth i can't afford. šŸ˜ž

              When u add up all the therapists also a lot leh. For myself, I rather see lesser therapists and better sch environment. Reason being that he is exposed to it everyday. That's where he learns to behave like any other kid and it's much more important than therapies. I rather see less freq therapies and apply what I learned from them at home.

              regarding montessori playgroup (2hr daily), I didn't tell teachers that my son is suspected. from the video outside the classroom, sometimes if my son is not compliant, teacher will just let him be for a while as he just started not long ago. now i am worried that teachers would feedback quite bad as the school is not for special need students. walking on thin ice everyday.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • B Offline
                Blokus
                last edited by

                Karkar:
                mashy:

                [quote=\"helplessmum3\"]Mashy, you mean MMI?


                800++/mth i can't afford. šŸ˜ž

                When u add up all the therapists also a lot leh. For myself, I rather see lesser therapists and better sch environment. Reason being that he is exposed to it everyday. That's where he learns to behave like any other kid and it's much more important than therapies. I rather see less freq therapies and apply what I learned from them at home.

                regarding montessori playgroup (2hr daily), I didn't tell teachers that my son is suspected. from the video outside the classroom, sometimes if my son is not compliant, teacher will just let him be for a while as he just started not long ago. now i am worried that teachers would feedback quite bad as the school is not for special need students. walking on thin ice everyday.[/quote]Hmmm, I used to send my son to a montessori school with a video camera for parents to watch too. Maybe it's the same? Anyway, my son's class used to have a boy who wasn't interested in anything within the class. Would always cry and take a while to settle. What the teachers did was to comfort him, usually by carrying/ cradling him during circle time etc. But after he's settled he's not interested in the activities & the teachers allow him to roam around the class for the entire session. Montessori style is such that it 'frees' the child. As in the child chooses what he wants to do in the class. All Montessori do is to display all the age appropriate work on the shelf and the child decides which work he wishes to do. So, if the child refuse work but prefers to read, the (authentic) montessori way is to let him read, even if the child wants to read throughout the entire session. It's not their style to enforce an activity on the child, they will guide/encourage but if the child refuse, they will respect the child's wish. That was probably why the teachers allowed the boy to do anything he wished & roam free without doing any work. Truth be told, I think the normal school setting worked better for my son- though I luuuuurve the Montessori method. I found he learnt more social skills than when in Montessori school. For instance in the typical school he Bo pian had to do the actions during singing song time- coz its a must. But in Montessori school, they didn't force him but let him be. I'm not saying Montessori school is not good for asd kids though, I'm just sharing my personal experience.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • P Offline
                  pingsped
                  last edited by

                  helplessmum3:
                  RE : WeeCare..


                  i called them, they have 10weeks terms. 1.5hr on Sat. for social skills.

                  are they something like LeoMagen? or better?

                  not sure whether should i put my son there... Also, i thought they have child care svs , too bad they dun have šŸ˜ž
                  Wee Care is definitely better than Leo Megan by leaps.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • P Offline
                    pingsped
                    last edited by

                    helplessmum3:
                    RE : WeeCare..


                    i called them, they have 10weeks terms. 1.5hr on Sat. for social skills.

                    are they something like LeoMagen? or better?

                    not sure whether should i put my son there... Also, i thought they have child care svs , too bad they dun have šŸ˜ž
                    Wee Care is definitely better than Leo Megan by leaps.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • F Offline
                      Fizz
                      last edited by

                      helplessmum3:
                      Mashy, you mean MMI?


                      800++/mth i can't afford. šŸ˜ž
                      The ST gave me a list of schools including childcares which may consider kids with special needs. They include the following among the rest:

                      - TOUCH Childcare (Hougang/Clementi);
                      - Mother Goose (Jalan Halijah in Bedok);
                      - Presbyterian Community Services (various locations)

                      The above ones looks more affordable than Eton, which is also in the list :evil:

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • O Offline
                        optrex80
                        last edited by

                        DEL.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 203
                        • 204
                        • 205
                        • 206
                        • 207
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 205 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy