Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • B Offline
      Blokus
      last edited by

      Immeemee


      Thank you for the wise words. I agree no less. Even for NT kids, it's not healthy to compare with others. As you say, the best way is to compare our kids against themselves; how they improved over the year. And my son has made remarkable improvement this year, I'm so proud of him for sure. However, I'm not dishearten because I'm comparing him with NT kids. I'm just dishearten whenever he displays autism sign. Perhaps I am still in denial.

      What I meant was, he's case is very mild, even milder than the high functioning, milder than the mild cases. As compared to many of you here, I've much, much lesser to work on & I really should'nt be complaining. He's very near to NT, so even if I compare him with NT kids, he's either advance or just a few steps behind.

      That's probably why, in social class, I expect him to be the 'better' kids. But I get a rude shock each time, because he moves & fidget, looking away when teacher is talking etc. I've not seen him act like this in school nor the teacher. It just makes me feel dishearten because it pulls me back to, well perhaps, reality that he does have some autism signs. But during the week, in school, at home, he looks like any regular kid that i always slip back to thinking that he's NT. Come sat, I get all dishearten again. :sad:

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • H Offline
        helplessmum3
        last edited by

        Blokus,

        what is social class? school & teacher also consider social class too. cuz both are in group?

        maybe school he already very farmilar. at times they still can generalize once they change of enviroment.

        may i know what u say social class wat are this?

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          mashy
          last edited by

          Blokus:
          Immeemee


          Thank you for the wise words. I agree no less. Even for NT kids, it's not healthy to compare with others. As you say, the best way is to compare our kids against themselves; how they improved over the year. And my son has made remarkable improvement this year, I'm so proud of him for sure. However, I'm not dishearten because I'm comparing him with NT kids. I'm just dishearten whenever he displays autism sign. Perhaps I am still in denial.

          What I meant was, he's case is very mild, even milder than the high functioning, milder than the mild cases. As compared to many of you here, I've much, much lesser to work on & I really should'nt be complaining. He's very near to NT, so even if I compare him with NT kids, he's either advance or just a few steps behind.

          That's probably why, in social class, I expect him to be the 'better' kids. But I get a rude shock each time, because he moves & fidget, looking away when teacher is talking etc. I've not seen him act like this in school nor the teacher. It just makes me feel dishearten because it pulls me back to, well perhaps, reality that he does have some autism signs. But during the week, in school, at home, he looks like any regular kid that i always slip back to thinking that he's NT. Come sat, I get all dishearten again. :sad:
          My son also fidgets in class and doesn't seem to be paying attention. But when the teacher asked him questions, he can answer very well. So maybe he just look like he isn't paying attention.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • D Offline
            Double E
            last edited by

            Blokus:
            Immeemee


            Thank you for the wise words. I agree no less. Even for NT kids, it's not healthy to compare with others. As you say, the best way is to compare our kids against themselves; how they improved over the year. And my son has made remarkable improvement this year, I'm so proud of him for sure. However, I'm not dishearten because I'm comparing him with NT kids. I'm just dishearten whenever he displays autism sign. Perhaps I am still in denial.

            What I meant was, he's case is very mild, even milder than the high functioning, milder than the mild cases. As compared to many of you here, I've much, much lesser to work on & I really should'nt be complaining. He's very near to NT, so even if I compare him with NT kids, he's either advance or just a few steps behind.

            That's probably why, in social class, I expect him to be the 'better' kids. But I get a rude shock each time, because he moves & fidget, looking away when teacher is talking etc. I've not seen him act like this in school nor the teacher. It just makes me feel dishearten because it pulls me back to, well perhaps, reality that he does have some autism signs. But during the week, in school, at home, he looks like any regular kid that i always slip back to thinking that he's NT. Come sat, I get all dishearten again. :sad:

            Blokus
            Your boy has not been diagnosed yet right? If so, then perhaps don't worry too much. For all u know, he is not ASD.

            Share with you. My friend's boy has ASD traits like speech delay, lack of social comm, don't play with peers and very quiet in school. She sent him for assessment but turn out that he is not ASD, just comms delay. And a client of my husband also has a son who seems to display many ASD traits but after assessment, it is also concluded that he is not ASD. And till today, the boy who was in pri school is still a loner despite not being ASD. So I think you shouldn't worry too much until he has received the official diagnosis.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • D Offline
              Double E
              last edited by

              Mummies


              Just want to share with you my boy’s experience at his first neurofeedback session yesterday. It went well, he did not fidget or reject the ‘treatment’, sat through the session and do what he was suppose to do.

              The ‘treatment’ is very simple. The therapist will stick two wire on his head and let him watch a nursery song DVD and monitor his brain waves. The image of on the TV screen will change according to the state of his brain. If the image becomes smaller or total blackout, this means his brain is disrupted or something like that. Basically, the session is to condition his brain to behave the normal way and slowly ease out the unnecessary noises in the brain that hinders his speech, attention span etc.

              The therapist said that neurofeedback is suppose to give the kid a nudge if he still did not respond well to his therapies. Well…he claimed that he has treated two kids with selective mutism and after the treatment, the kids start to talk. He said that all the therapies like ST , OT etc are treatment from the external and neurofeedback is to target the internal. Once the internal parts i.e the brain is calm, the kid will be more receptive to external treatment.

              Not very expensive. First consultation is $120, subsequent session is $60.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • B Offline
                Blokus
                last edited by

                Mashy


                My son doesn't fidget in his regular school. He sits still & won't move if he's not suppose to. They even have meditation where he has to sit very still & close his eyes for quite long. He submits to this very well too. But I'm very perplexed that he fidgets in his weekly social class.

                Helpless mum
                It's a private center I sent him to brush him up for his social skills.

                Double E

                Thanks for the encouragement. Precisely, I'm hanging onto the hope that he's possibly okay but when I see some behaviors I just plunge right into sadness. 😞

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • D Offline
                  Double E
                  last edited by

                  Blokus,


                  My friend told me, which kid does not hv prob or their own set of issues? Even if not ASD, there are kids who are very naughty and go around disturbing others and there will be kids who just like to keep to themselves and not the social butterfly. And there are those who just can’t and not interested in studies. So perhaps if your boy is just fidgeting in the social class but has no issues in his kindy, can communicate with teachers and peers, then just let it be. Even for adults, if I feel bored at a meeting, I will also fidget or doze off but that doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with me. Perhaps your boy does not enjoy the social class?

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • H Offline
                    helplessmum3
                    last edited by

                    Double e. that’s great . I want to go n try too.

                    Can I have the contacts ?

                    What is the result for ur son ?

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • H Offline
                      helplessmum3
                      last edited by

                      Blokus,


                      How old is yr son?

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • D Offline
                        Double E
                        last edited by

                        Hmmm, but Helplessmum, your son hasn’t really gone through formal therapy sessions and u want to start him on neurofeedback? I hope you don’t see this as a short cut. Why not u see how he progress first after starting Rainbow and whether he still needs neurofeedback by then?

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 301
                        • 302
                        • 303
                        • 304
                        • 305
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 303 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy