Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S Offline
      Summer tan
      last edited by

      slmkhoo:
      mashy:

      [quote=\"Summer tan\"]He doesn't know how to socialise. Hit friends and disrupt teaching.


      I think in order to go mainstream, he must first stop hitting friends. Because no other parent will allow their kids to be hit repeatedly even if your child has special needs. You will need to resolve that before being able to consider mainstream. Otherwise, you will be called up very often and apologizing to other parents all the time. It won't be good for him either when he is viewed as a 'trouble maker'. He needs to learn to channel his frustration and energy into something else.

      Summer tan, how old is your son? I agree with mashy that he must learn self-control - not to hit other kids or be disruptive as no mainstream school can have a child in class who hits others or regularly disrupts teaching. On the other hand, if your child is still a couple of years from Pr school, there will be time to teach and train him. Don't despair just because he is not ready yet, but do your best to get him to the level he needs to be.[/quote]He's five years old now. K1. If he has self control then he won't be ASD.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • N Offline
        nugget
        last edited by

        mashy:
        Summer tan:

        He doesn't know how to socialise. Hit friends and disrupt teaching.


        I think in order to go mainstream, he must first stop hitting friends. Because no other parent will allow their kids to be hit repeatedly even if your child has special needs. You will need to resolve that before being able to consider mainstream. Otherwise, you will be called up very often and apologizing to other parents all the time. It won't be good for him either when he is viewed as a 'trouble maker'. He needs to learn to channel his frustration and energy into something else.

        I seconded what Mashy say.

        My son also doesnt socialize. But he is non disruptive. Kept to himself most of the time. Doesnt hit or talk to his friends even when they talk to him. The teachers in fact say he is a very very good boy.

        In order for him to stay in mainstream, he first has to be non violent and non disruptive. Else its very hard for teachers to keep him.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • H Offline
          helplessmum3
          last edited by

          summer, even normal kids will act like your son. now.


          for me the biggest challenge of ASD is their communication & comprehend skill.

          have yr son got diagnosed already?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • N Offline
            nugget
            last edited by

            Summer tan:

            Yes, I understand where the (good) cc are coming from. As much as I want to convince myself that my son is disruptive and adding stress to the teachers, I can't help but feel a tinge of sadness and anger in me.

            Will my son be able to cope at the ICCP centre next mth on? Will the teachers be able to handle him? Will my son end up being rejected by peers and the centre? Will he end up not studying in a mainstream pri sch?
            He's so vocal and smart I just don't know where to place him.

            For him, I know I must stay positive I cannot give up.
            Summer Tan,

            I also felt the same as you. I am always angry that why my mainstream CC still stigmatize my son. My son basically go there, teachers wont bother to draw him back to teach him. He most of the time back to wandering around again. But then, I am still keeping him there cos I am working, no one else to look after him and most importantly, I want him to know and feel what the mainstream environment is like.

            I think ICCP will be able to help your son. They are set up to manage special needs kids in the first place.

            Is your son under any EIPIC or therapy yet? I am not too sure if ICCP have therapy sessions for your son. If they do, I am sure you will sure see improvement in your son's behaviour after he goes into ICCP.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • S Offline
              Summer tan
              last edited by

              nugget:
              mashy:

              [quote=\"Summer tan\"]He doesn't know how to socialise. Hit friends and disrupt teaching.


              I think in order to go mainstream, he must first stop hitting friends. Because no other parent will allow their kids to be hit repeatedly even if your child has special needs. You will need to resolve that before being able to consider mainstream. Otherwise, you will be called up very often and apologizing to other parents all the time. It won't be good for him either when he is viewed as a 'trouble maker'. He needs to learn to channel his frustration and energy into something else.

              I seconded what Mashy say.

              My son also doesnt socialize. But he is non disruptive. Kept to himself most of the time. Doesnt hit or talk to his friends even when they talk to him. The teachers in fact say he is a very very good boy.

              In order for him to stay in mainstream, he first has to be non violent and non disruptive. Else its very hard for teachers to keep him.[/quote]That's why I feel it's very unfair sometimes. A bright and vocal boy like my son cannot go mainstream. I cannot imagine him going to pathlight school when he speaks so well. It's not as if he wants to hit friends. Yes i also don't want my child to be hit repeatedly which I will definitely complain to teachers and even the principal. but my son just couldn't control his anger. He doesn't even remember he does that at times.

              If I'm the parent who is defensive and protective of my son then I have nothing to say. But I have tried so many ways, so many schools, therapy. Why can't parents of normal and quieter kids understand what people like me are going through.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                Summer tan
                last edited by

                helplessmum3:
                summer, even normal kids will act like your son. now.


                for me the biggest challenge of ASD is their communication & comprehend skill.

                have yr son got diagnosed already?
                Yes PDD-NOS diagnosed by Zhang Guiyue from JMC CDU.

                I just sat in the room and cried just now.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • N Offline
                  nugget
                  last edited by

                  Summer tan:


                  That's why I feel it's very unfair sometimes. A bright and vocal boy like my son cannot go mainstream. I cannot imagine him going to pathlight school when he speaks so well. It's not as if he wants to hit friends. Yes i also don't want my child to be hit repeatedly which I will definitely complain to teachers and even the principal. but my son just couldn't control his anger. He doesn't even remember he does that at times.

                  If I'm the parent who is defensive and protective of my son then I have nothing to say. But I have tried so many ways, so many schools, therapy. Why can't parents of normal and quieter kids understand what people like me are going through.
                  Hugz mummy.. Its a sad but brutal world. No one will understands what we are going through unless they have a special needs child like us.

                  I am one of those ignorant parent as well until my son is diagnose with ASD. We just have to be thick skin, stand firm and have faith!

                  Keep helping your son.. as time passes, he will improved.

                  Problem of why he is hitting other people could be because he is frustrated as he doesn't know how to socialize and tell his friends, so he acted out by hitting. I dun believe they hit just because they enjoy hitting. There must be something that he wanted but he find it hard to communicate with others, thats why he reacted by hitting.

                  What therapy is he attending right now?

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • N Offline
                    nugget
                    last edited by

                    Summer tan:
                    helplessmum3:

                    summer, even normal kids will act like your son. now.


                    for me the biggest challenge of ASD is their communication & comprehend skill.

                    have yr son got diagnosed already?

                    Yes PDD-NOS diagnosed by Zhang Guiyue from JMC CDU.

                    I just sat in the room and cried just now.

                    Its okay to grieve from time to time. Most importantly is be strong for your son. Its a long journey and I believe it wont ends until the day we die.

                    Stay strong. he is still young, all the interventions will help. *hugz*

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • S Offline
                      Summer tan
                      last edited by

                      Thanks nugget.


                      He’s at eipic now. ECC. But I still feel that that place is not helping him with his behavioral and socialization problem.

                      Ya I even role play with him on what he should say and do when his friends took his toys or if they took the toy first. Thanks for your words, it suddenly rings to me that I should do that with him every day so that it gets into him. Then try it out at playground or elsewhere.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • N Offline
                        nugget
                        last edited by

                        Summer tan:
                        Thanks nugget.


                        He's at eipic now. ECC. But I still feel that that place is not helping him with his behavioral and socialization problem.

                        Ya I even role play with him on what he should say and do when his friends took his toys or if they took the toy first. Thanks for your words, it suddenly rings to me that I should do that with him every day so that it gets into him. Then try it out at playground or elsewhere.
                        Summer Tan,

                        Its natural to feel what you felt. On and off I also felt angry and helpless or stuck! We just need to let off some steam. Usually I will consult the mummies here or just rant it out. You are not in this alone.

                        I feel the therapies and EIPIC helped my son. The results might not come immediately, it took at least 6 months before I start seeing improvements.

                        The other day I asked my son to \"close the toilet door\". He said \"I want to go toilet to wash my hands first, after I leave the room I will close the door\".

                        I was so so happy. Such simple words but it brings a smile to my face. First time he explain to me what he is doing and why he is doing it (why he open the toilet door). Keep talking and practising with them, one day they will surprise us.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 351
                        • 352
                        • 353
                        • 354
                        • 355
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 353 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        EducareTutoringE
                        EducareTutoring

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy