Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D Offline
      Double E
      last edited by

      Hi Summer


      Don’t dispel Pathlight just yet. Pathlight may not be a bad option if you son can excel there because they also provide mainstream curriculum. Last year, a pathlight student scored 273 in his PSLE, so what does it says? In fact, I will be happy if my son can make it to Pathlight.

      Do go to Pathlight’s open house to get a feel of the place and the students. I mentioned in this thread earlier that I had the opportunity to volunteer at Pathlight for a day, brought the students to Gardens by the Bay. The group that I led must be very high-functioning, because they are very vocal and soooo bright. Perhaps just like your son. In fact, they are good friends with each other. I didn’t see any ASD trait in them at all. I asked the teacher why is this group of kids at Pathlight when they seem perfectly fine to me. The teacher explained that this group has behaviour issue such as poor anger management. But seriously, they hid it so well that I can’t tell at all. They joke, they speak perfect English and so knowledgeable. And once you are in Pathlight, doesn’t mean you will forever be there. The teachers told me that if the kid shows improvement eg, in managing his behaviour, they will recommend to parents to transfer the kid to mainstream.
      So cheer up!

      Today, I had a quick chat with my son’s CC teacher. I asked her how is he. She said he is doing fine, can take instruction, not disruptive but he is very quiet and doesn’t talk to his classmates. If my son can take the initiative to talk to other kids or answer other childrens’ question appropriately by this year, I will volunteer my time in my Church’s ministry to thank God for his grace because this is one area that I have no idea how to teach him. Even going to EIPIC didn’t help much. So, I will let God lead the way and trust in Him that he will heal my son. I will just do what I can and don’t worry too much.

      Summer, your son is now at Eden’s? Which branch is he at? Eden’s Clementi has offered my son a place in the afternoon session but we are now quite pleased with Leapfrog’s approach in teaching my son so not sure if we want to transfer him. But if I give up the slot at Eden’s, I doubt CEL will want to help me find a vacancy the next time because this will be my 3rd transfer. Can you share with my your views on Eden’s? The only benefit that I can think of is that Eden’s uses the same teaching methods as ARC which is affiliated to Pathlight. Will be great if you can share your feedback.

      Thank you.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • M Offline
        mashy
        last edited by

        slmkhoo:
        mashy:

        [quote=\"nugget\"]

        Not bad. At least your colleagues are aware of what is autism.

        Yup, in Australia ASD people are just treated like normal beings and they are better accepted there. Their healthcare is better covered and ASD support is provided by the state.

        Hb and I are thinking of moving there as well, now with the announcement of 6.9M population, I really feel like migrating. But our roots are here, we have our parents here as well. really its not an easy decision.

        I also wanna migrate! But it's not as easy to migrate there as it is to migrate here! 😞

        The services provided may be better, but you will need to factor in cultural differences, being an ethnic minority, being apart from extended family etc. The grass tends to be greener on the other side before you cross over, so consider all factors carefully.[/quote]We don't get much physical help from the extended family anyway, so even if we see each other once a year also shouldn't be too bad. 😛 we are already already becoming a minority in our home country, so not much difference. Now the MRT trains are packed with foreigners even during off peak times. I was a minority on the train. I was surrounded by China foreigners yakking in their Chinese, another bunch of HKers here on business trip, some ang mohs on the way back after lunch etc. There was just a handful of Singaporeans including myself. I thought I was in a different country.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          mashy
          last edited by

          Yes yes! I agree that pathlight is a good alternative to mainstream. If cannot go mainstream, that’s the next best place since it also studies the same subjects and can take PSLE. The Pathlight boy who scored 273 went into NUS High! That is my dream sch for my boy!

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • N Offline
            nugget
            last edited by

            mashy:
            Yes yes! I agree that pathlight is a good alternative to mainstream. If cannot go mainstream, that's the next best place since it also studies the same subjects and can take PSLE. The Pathlight boy who scored 273 went into NUS High! That is my dream sch for my boy!

            I also feel my boy will strive very well in pathlight. *i might sound like slapping myself in my next statement* But I want my boy to try to strive in mainstream first.

            Cos when he grows up, there is no pathlight working environment for him. Its better he get adapted to mainstream environment if he can. If he really cant hope, they i will slowly queue up for entry into pathlight.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • phtthpP Offline
              phtthp
              last edited by

              nugget:

              Yup, in Australia ASD people are just treated like normal beings and they are better accepted there. Their healthcare is better covered and ASD support is provided by the state. (
              what kind of help does Australia provide for ASD children, that SG lack ?

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • N Offline
                nugget
                last edited by

                phtthp:
                nugget:


                Yup, in Australia ASD people are just treated like normal beings and they are better accepted there. Their healthcare is better covered and ASD support is provided by the state. (

                what kind of help does Australia provide for ASD children, that SG lack ?

                All the therapies that Australia have, SG also have.

                I am talking about the environment, social awareness and a caring society.

                First of all, their medical is heavily subsidized and available. Even as a PR, you are covered under their medicare. In SG, if our kid ASD, there is no chance you can get any insurance for him/her. (I have asked, my son will not be able to buy any life insurance) and some ASD kids are not even allow to buy health insurance as pointed out by Mashy.

                I read ASD adults carry cards to tell people that they have autism when buying things or out and about, people will be more patient and help these folks (example: by showing pictures of the food that they want to order). In SG, if you show such a card to people, some might feel you are wasting their time or some even shun away from you like you have some contagious diseases.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • I Offline
                  ImMeeMee
                  last edited by

                  Summer tan:
                  Thank you! It truly helps. You have opened my mind. Maybe I should go for the open house. Any this year ?

                  You can check out the website or call the school to enquire about its open house.

                  summer, do drop by PL if you can. If for anything, go and browse at the numerous paintings done by the PL students that line the walls within the school premises. ASD kids may not be expressive with their words, but the way they communicate via drawings can be amazing. They never fail to touch my heart.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • N Offline
                    nugget
                    last edited by

                    Forgot to add, austrialia offers " a minimum of 20 hours a week over two or more years is essential for young children to make major gains.".


                    My son only attends EIPIC centres 3x3 hours per week (9 hours). That’s the maximum they can offer me. Even if make an exception to offer me 5x per week, I would not be able to afford it. His 9 hours per week already cost me $450 after subsidy.

                    Sigh… there is still quite a big gap that our social network need to bridge up.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • N Offline
                      nugget
                      last edited by

                      ImMeeMee:
                      Summer tan:

                      Thank you! It truly helps. You have opened my mind. Maybe I should go for the open house. Any this year ?


                      You can check out the website or call the school to enquire about its open house.

                      summer, do drop by PL if you can. If for anything, go and browse at the numerous paintings done by the PL students that line the walls within the school premises. ASD kids may not be expressive with their words, but the way they communicate via drawings can be amazing. They never fail to touch my heart.

                      I have visited PL before to browse their bookstore. The people there are super friendly and approachable. The students I saw in the bookstore really look like normal kids, cannot tell they have ASD at all.

                      I would like to go for their open house as well.

                      Does anyone know if pathlight school fee is any difference from mainstream primary school fee?

                      *Edited - Add ons*

                      I just checked from pathlight website:
                      \"School fees are currently fixed at S$500 per month for Primary, Secondary and Vocational Track for Singapore citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents. The fees are subject to revision depending on the financial requirements of operations\".

                      Our kids already special needs which many mothers have given up careers to look after the children themselves. I really dun understand why the fees can't be make more afforable.

                      Why does we need to pay more esp when our child needs more help?

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • phtthpP Offline
                        phtthp
                        last edited by

                        Path light school fees is $500 per month. My friend can’t afford, but her son got behavior problem can’t go mainstream after K k assess. So go rainbow to study. She said she paid $250 per month, bec govt subsidize another $250. Then sch bus another $100. Total she paid $350 per month at rainbow. She said at rainbow, ratio is one teacher to 3 kids. She said queue now v long. But priority given to sg citizenship kids. Teacher said if her son improve, he can be transferred to path light one day.she said her p2 son improve a lot, after go rainbow. Last time, rainbow allow them to study max till primary 6. But recently, moe made changes. Allow them to study up till sec 4. She was thankful for govt subsidy. Else got to pay $500 per month at rainbow. I asked her why she din want to let son try mainstream first, before come in straight to rainbow. She said both she & her husband observed behavior of their son. They know he will have a tough time in mainstream. So they decide to enroll him to rainbow straight.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 353
                        • 354
                        • 355
                        • 356
                        • 357
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 355 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        OLCTO
                        OLCT
                        sharonkhooS
                        sharonkhoo

                        Statistics

                        8

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy