Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • C Offline
      Couragemom
      last edited by

      Hi ImMeeMee,


      Thanks for sharing. I understand that blessed feeling when you see your special darling moving 1 step more in the right direction!

      Hi parents,

      Since we are on the topic of making friends, can I ask for some advice? The psychologist told me to organize play date for my special darling and I do tried to organize play date with my friend’s daughter who is same year as my son. Didn’t went quite well as she wasn’t into cars and trucks and she preferred to play with my daughter instead. Duhhh… So now I am thinking of organizing play date with other boys but I want to ask - what is the role of the parent (me especially)? Shall I ‘organize’ the play of it should be free play? Please advise. Thanks!

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • I Offline
        ImMeeMee
        last edited by

        Couragemom:


        Hi parents,

        Since we are on the topic of making friends, can I ask for some advice? The psychologist told me to organize play date for my special darling and I do tried to organize play date with my friend's daughter who is same year as my son. Didn't went quite well as she wasn't into cars and trucks and she preferred to play with my daughter instead. Duhhh... So now I am thinking of organizing play date with other boys but I want to ask - what is the role of the parent (me especially)? Shall I 'organize' the play of it should be free play? Please advise. Thanks!
        couragemom

        If the boys that you are inviting are NT, likely they may engage among themselves in free play and leave your boy behind. Natural to do so when you see NT with SN kids, especially if the games move fast and your boy can't catch up. If the boys you are inviting are SN, likely they may keep to themselves like they usually do and play individually if left to free play.

        You may want to consider having a mix of 'organized' play and free play. Get them to play a few rounds of group games, including those that you boy are familiar with. Then proceed to free play to give everyone some space. In this way, you achieve your 'therapy' goal, and the other kids get to enjoy themselves too.

        My own experience and observations. Hope this helps.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • C Offline
          Couragemom
          last edited by

          Hi ImMeeMee,


          Thanks for your advice. Haiz… actually I also not very keen on play date as I still feel emotionally down when I see my son unable to
          socialize with other kids but must preserve!

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • sharonkhooS Offline
            sharonkhoo
            last edited by

            Couragemom:
            Hi ImMeeMee,


            Thanks for your advice. Haiz... actually I also not very keen on play date as I still feel emotionally down when I see my son unable to
            socialize with other kids but must preserve!
            Try not to stress the \"play together\" part too much - it's great if it happens, but even if it doesn't, being around other kids can be of benefit, even if it's just getting accustomed to the noise, sharing etc. At the very least, he will see what the others are doing. Not all kids like to play together, and for ASD kids, it can be too much interaction. My daughter is quite a loner, but because we have a younger (sociable) NT girl, we often got together with other families when they were young. Even if my ASD girl was mostly doing her own thing, she would drift in and out of the play. She preferred to be on the fringe, mostly, and to some extent, that's a personal choice.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • I Offline
              ImMeeMee
              last edited by

              Hi parents


              Do you know of any optometrist/optician who is good with handling SN children? Please share contact where available. I am looking for someone who can prescribe glasses for my doter’s myopia cos my family optometrist is not able to handle her well to get an accurate prescription. She has no other eye problem so I prefer not to bring her to an ophthalmologist if possible.

              TIA.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • L Offline
                Lavina
                last edited by

                Couragemom:
                Hi ImMeeMee,


                Thanks for your advice. Haiz... actually I also not very keen on play date as I still feel emotionally down when I see my son unable to socialize with other kids but must preserve!
                Hi Couragemom,

                Perhaps board games or Wii games might be better for play dates. Swatting mosquitos and bowling are less gender specific. Your child can learn to take turns, make appropriate remarks and can help boost his confidence if he plays well (with more practice).

                When my child was in primary school, we used to arrange play dates with classmates, one at a time. It is inevitable that my child will not actively participate in a large group.

                Even now at 19, I am still a little worried about his social skills. He can communicate professionally, discussing homework or doing projects. But when classmates wanted to do lunch together, he actually said he wanted to eat alone!

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • P Offline
                  pinkamoon
                  last edited by

                  Hi all, since everyone is on the topic of play date, I would like to share about the sleep over of my niece and nephew last weekend. My 8 y.o boy did not join in the group for all the games they played but wii was something everyone enjoyed, just like what lavina said. Everyone enjoyed the session. The games also encouraged a lot of interaction among the children

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • C Offline
                    Chewy88
                    last edited by

                    Hi, I’m new and came onto this thread. My hubby is also an asperger We came to this conclusion this year when we realise that our 2 year old son has ASD. We are waiting for epic program and doing private aba currently and putting my son in childcare first skool.


                    My hubby like yours also has no friends save for 2 and is not working now to be a main caregiver for our son. We felt it would be better for him to stay at home as he was having communication issues at work due to all the stress and all.

                    His case was undetected too til our son’s diagnosis and i’ve known him for over 20 years. We are both 39 this year year.

                    How old is your son? Mine is 2.5 now and we are open to play dates if you are keen. Staying at sengkang area.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • C Offline
                      Chewy88
                      last edited by

                      Hi Couragemom, sorry for my boo boo. just realised your kid is not small anymore:-) I’m just hasty and coming on the thread.


                      Been feeling a mite anxious cos I just went for epic interview at ARC yesterday with my 2.5 year old son and being told the wait is going to be 1 to 1 & 1/2 years long. The metta at ponggol wait is long too. haizz… meanwhile we do not know if our savings can sustain the private therapies. Been coming here to read up on everyone’s experience. Feeling a bit helpless but not wanting to stop my private therapies cos we’ve been seeing so much progress with my son. He’s at the age that he should be on early intervention and not stop.

                      We are worried cos he is not talking to his classmates at childcare and only does labelling. Recently teacher said he does go up to his classmates but ends up talking 100% gibberish to them. He does understands what we are saying in english but not able to form speech. speaks funnily and his speech changes sometimes milk becomes muck then a perfect milk pronunciation another day.

                      sometimes he surprise us by speaking a perfect complete sentence like ‘shall we go’ when he wants me to get up from my bed saturday morning. Sadly he doesn’t repeat that anymore. only once. Does anybody experience that?

                      Its just me and hubby taking care of my wee one and its been very lonely and scary finding the correct help and making all appointments for the workshops and all to process the documentation.

                      The KKH doctor wrote in her report that my son has GDD and did not tell me at all. Hence when we tried to apply to ARC, I was told that he does not qualify. Am pretty disappointed with the whole process of going through consultation and stuff. Staff are kind but going through the works and my son is like another number to go through. I was v frustrated and called KKH and spoke with the doctor who changed her diagnosis to suspected autism. Her reply was that I raised my fears of having my son grow up with ASD stigma but she never advised or informed me that she would put him under GDD. I’ve read up quite a bit since then and if my precious has ASD it is ASD. I should be getting him the correct help. Before the telephone rep on epic informed me that my son is diagnosed as GDD I didn’t even know what is GDD and she had to explain to me.

                      Though the doctor changed the assessment on her report there was a note of the slightest irritance in her voice and I still have to see the same doctor for follow ups with Jet the next few months. I’m like feeling blue about it.

                      Welcome any advice or sharing of experiences.

                      Does any of you mummies wait that long for placement at Epic? Any of you place your child at ARC?

                      I was also asked to pay 31.50 for an assessment fee at ARC too when we went for the interview. I felt it was rather strange but didnt query since the amount was not very big.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • S Offline
                        Summerp83
                        last edited by

                        Hi,


                        I’m new in this forum group. Wanna ask if any of your kids taking Vitamin B12? Recently my 4 yrs old non verbal ASD boy keeps getting tounge ulcers and heard that it might be Vitamin B12 deficiency. The lack of B12 also causes speech delays. Anyone has any knowledge or experience to share?

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 724
                        • 725
                        • 726
                        • 727
                        • 728
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 726 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        mamamia0510M
                        mamamia0510

                        Statistics

                        6

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy