Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • I Offline
      ImMeeMee
      last edited by

      jme:
      Agree with pinkamoon. I stopped giving cow milk n my boy's health improved lots. I tried nut, goat, camel. Now stick with rice milk only because it is easier to add supp. I have been giving coconut kefir n green smoothie to my kids for past few years. N soup with oxtail n chicken feet for the gelatin to heal gut. Tried bones but result not so good. There r reports on lead issues though. U might want to read up more. So far, my family has no lead issue based on htma.


      Tried gfcf but failed. I think imMeeMee did gfcf for a few years ( did I remember correctly? )
      Pinkamoon mummy is also one we can ask advice from ....
      jme

      Yes, we did GFCF for a year plus. It was an empirical attempt and we did not know whether it worked. But DH was keen to try it; I think it gave him some peace of mind to know that we were trying something during the initial phase of diagnosis.

      Just an observation about soy milk though. At one stage we were on soy milk too but I have stopped it cos there are reports that say it contains isoflavones that are similar to estrogen. The latter is the female hormone that stimulates growth and puberty in girls. At one stage my daughter was growing very fast physically and that got me worried. Now she is back to cow milk. Not sure about the how the correlation is evidence-based, but I personally felt better to be safe than sorry, since there are other types of milk available.

      OT, sorry I was meaning to respond to Poohbear but couldnt remember what I replaced cow milk with! :yikes: After thinking back hard I realize its rice milk ... Too many things on my mind these days ... haiz. When things move too fast, sometimes everything becomes a blur ...

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • B Offline
        belachanbabe
        last edited by

        Hi Mummies ImMeeMee, Dessertwind, pinkamoon, simkhoo et al and of course Daddy Tai ko.


        Happy New Year!

        Just catching up briefly on the posts since I last came here. So heartening to see many achievements and much progress. Congrats on those crossing milestones and surviving the holidays (keeping them occupied meaningfully without electronic devices was a pain)

        My boys just started primary 3 (mainstream) and primary 2 (PL). TOO FAST LA! Seems like only yesterday that I was so down when my DS2 almost didn’t make it to PL. For TaiKo and jme, best of luck for the boys, DS2 had the best time in foundation and us parents from that class still keep in touch. Am sure your darlings will thrive in the PL environment. Erm just don’t be shocked at how expensive the school canteen or rather café food is, rem to give more pocket $.

        Of course there were challenges along the way with bullies, low academic scores and difficulties in making friends. Probably more prevalent in mainstream. Still we worked through it when it came and will work through them when it comes again. Like DS1 coming home yesterday with an accidental cut on his cheek after losing a pencil ‘lightsaber’ fight. All DH could grumble was that he lost to a gal…. Haiz… 🤷

        All the best for 2016 and keep shining!

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • B Offline
          bs1975
          last edited by

          Hi

          For mummies who have tried gfcf, need advice from you:
          My boy MUST drink milk in cc before nap (as all his classmates drink). He will also cry for milk early in the morning about 3-5am.
          I want to stop giving him formula. What can I replace with besides Isomilk?
          FOR almond, rice and oatmilk , they are in "fresh milk" packaging which means I have to put inside the fridge after I open and warm up before I give to him. It is not workable in my case as I won’t have time to warm up at 3am. Teachers at cc won’t warm up for me .
          Any plant based milk which is convenient to make like formula?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • P Offline
            pinkamoon
            last edited by

            Hi Jme! Good to know that u r on dietary intervention too! Everyone of us here is an expert of their own. I can only share what works for my child. Like what u say, fermentation food, probiotic plays a big part in our children's diet too! 🙂


            ImMeeMee, you have a wonderful husband who is on this journey with u. My husband gave me the green light to do all experiments on my son. He took the role of an observer. 😉

            Hi belachanbabe! Your son is a gentleman. He did not fight with a girl. That is a plus point:)

            Hi bs1975! The alternative milk do come in small packets. You can find them at NTUC finest or Cold Storage ( not all branches, u have have to source for them)
            Here are some places I have tried to buy things from:
            1.The organic grocer.com
            http://theorganicgrocer.com/browse/prod ... rve-4-pack

            2. Yes Natural
            (2 branches, 1 in clementi, 1 in Geylang)
            http://www.yesnatural.biz/contact/

            3. Eat Organic
            http://eat-organic.com.sg/

            4.Brown Rice Paradise (Tanglin Mall)
            http://www.mybrp.com.sg/about.asp

            I used to stay around Clement so I frequent Yes Natural Store in that past. They used to have small packets of rice milk but each packet cost about 2.50.

            I think the best way is to wean your child off milk because milk is not so good to them. I weaned my son off milk when he was 3 and alternative milk was only occasional treat. Like Jme, I gave kefir, homemade yogurt, homemade vegetable juices, soup for him. I only started ordering Hay's goat milk for my 3 children last year. After healing his gut, he is now able to take goat milk without much problem.

            I can't guarantee the above places still have what you want because I have not patronised the places for about 2 years. Hope the information is helpful to u.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • C Offline
              Couragemom
              last edited by

              Hi parents,


              Good to see the forum active again. I would like to ask a question and I hope you all can share your thoughts and experience with me. My special darling’s eye contact wasn’t very good initially (2 years back) and I have been working on this issue with his various therapists and he also attends social class. Nowadays he has v good eye contact with family members but is only able to maintain fleeting or inconsistent eye contact with his teachers (but he does better with his classmates! Strange right?)

              For us, we are used to it and don’t really see it as much of a ‘problem’ as he can maintain joint attention and is pretty compliant most of the time. But his new K1 Chinese teacher commented on it for a few times and I am like ‘hmmmm… Okayyyy…’. My position on this matter is that my son is a work-in-progress and he will get better in all aspects someday somehow right? Am I right to think this way? Or eye contact is really dependent on one’s personality rather than his special condition? He is now able to sit through and listen to his lesson for his 4hrs pre-school so I am quite happy with his overall progress.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • sharonkhooS Offline
                sharonkhoo
                last edited by

                I think many NT people also have problems with eye contact with strangers or people in authority. I tell my daughter to do a half-measure - to look at some point on the face of the teacher and only fleetingly in the eyes. At least she will be looking in the right direction and not looking away!

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • P Offline
                  pinkamoon
                  last edited by

                  Hi Couragemum! To me, the eye contact is not a big issue. My son has this problem too and he is still improving on it. Even NT people have this problem of not being able to look into others' eyes. To me, it is not a big issue. Being able to sit through a 4 hour lessons is awesome! :rahrah:

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • C Offline
                    Couragemom
                    last edited by

                    Hi pinkamoon,


                    I think we are used to the ways of our special darling, so we don’t really see the issue in the ‘issue’! Hahaha…

                    Yah, I was quite shocked too that the teacher’s feedback is that he can sit through 4hrs of class already. Not really sure how come, as he was still only able to last around 3hrs in N2, then suddenly in K1, he can do it!

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • N Offline
                      Niu2009
                      last edited by

                      Hi Double E,

                      Glad to hear your good news! My son is p1 too. In the last two weeks, he seems fine. I didn’t declare his condition yet. He can tell me about 1/3 to 1/2 of his classmates names. Seems he observe and listen. Teacher didn’t say anything. So far he kept all his belongs except one time the coins dropped from his pocket when skipping and last week leave his Chinese text book in the shelf under his table. Much more out of my expectations. But not sure why I still quite nervous, and not so patient to him. Maybe expecting the problems coming up as the first two weeks is honey moon!

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • S Offline
                        sarahlau
                        last edited by

                        Hi all, I recently came across about a mother who changed her child's autistic behaviour through changing the child's diet. She presented her finding at TED. Below is the YOUTUBE link:


                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL4SD5f2toQ


                        Hope this is another way to help your child.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 729
                        • 730
                        • 731
                        • 732
                        • 733
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 731 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        5

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy