All About Autism
-
So50:
My dear fellow mummies,
My boy currently can speak single words. We are moving towards 2-word combiner...will we ever get to a stage where he can response more like a normal kid. For eg, if i ask \"how old are you?\", \"what's your name?\"....
Everynight, i switch off all tv, and just talk...dunnoe if he is really listening.. Will this helps.? So far, i feel i am talking to a wall... He is only interested to name the objects that he like.
He is 3 now. I do not know what i should i expect at times. And its making me worried....
Hi So50,
At 3 years old, your child is still young and has a lot of potential to improve and become better. However, it will not be going to be an easy journey. Many parents here have to deal with disappointments, rejections and complaints. Do not feel dejected when you do not get a response from your son. Instead look for cues. I think you already know that he only responses to things he likes, so what you can do is to expand from there. Your son has been 'communicating' with you in his own way, so do not shut the door. Learning will revolve around things he likes so that he can pick up learning faster.
As much as you think you are talking to a wall, I think he must be having the same feeling because they have tried to 'tell' us that 'Hey, I am ignoring you because I do not like those', but you are still 'hard-selling\" the other uninteresting ideas. Google \"sonrise\" in youtube to get more ideas.
As a mummy journeying with my son, I am someone who believes in hard work. I used to spend many hours after work playing with him, talking to him and teaching him every single day. It was not easy, but is definitely worth it! -
Hi Chibi,
Thanks for your sharing! Its so heartwarming and encouraging to know that your girl is doing so well in school. I wish my daughter can be like your daughter too!
I believe you must have put in a lot of time and efforts in your daughter!! :salute:
Just wondering if she is Asperger or ASD or PDD NOS? Cos I read that usually Asperger can survive in mainstream but its harder for ASD cos their language are not as strong as Asperger?
I also find that teaching my girl mandarin is hard especially getting her to write the Chinese characters (her strokes are simply not systematic, she insisted so long she can get the word correct why bothers on the strokes) properly -
lavendery:
Actually I beg to differ. My son was diagnosed to be autistic, not Asperger, not PDD-NOS and his language was at 11 percentile at 5 years old. Now at 9 years old, he is doing well academically in mainstream and was top 25% of his cohort last year. No, I am not trying to brag. I only want to give hope to parents. It does not matter where their starting points are in this race. Even if the prognosis is not good, do not give up! Slow and steady wins the race. :rahrah:Hi Chibi,
Thanks for your sharing! Its so heartwarming and encouraging to know that your girl is doing so well in school. I wish my daughter can be like your daughter too!
I believe you must have put in a lot of time and efforts in your daughter!! :salute:
Just wondering if she is Asperger or ASD or PDD NOS? Cos I read that usually Asperger can survive in mainstream but its harder for ASD cos their language are not as strong as Asperger?
I also find that teaching my girl mandarin is hard especially getting her to write the Chinese characters (her strokes are simply not systematic, she insisted so long she can get the word correct why bothers on the strokes) properly -
Hi pinkamoon
How is your son ''s speech and communication ability now?
On par with peers?
Does he has friends in school?
Does he still have the asd traits?
Can share with us how did you help your son over the years ? -
For Epsom salt bath, if I use baby bathtub, how many tb spoon of salt I have to put?
-
I have 2 set of Cpas uniform free to let go
Shirts- size 20
Pants - size 18
Interested pm me -
Hi Lavendery. My daughter is asd. Not asperger. She isn’t very good in languages. Just average in her English and Chinese. But she is actually quite good in math. I went to a complementary math workshop organized by her school few weeks back and had a chat with the founder of a math learning school. She actually told me kids with autism do excel in their work. It’s a matter of how they are taught. She has had students with autism scoring very good grades in psle. I actually sign my girl up for their holiday intensive program in March for a day as my girl told me she needs that extra boost in her math understanding. I also realized as my girl grew up she seems more persistent in wanting to excel in her work. If she has a problem sum she can’t solve once she gets the understanding she sits there and starts practising non-stop just to make sure she understands. She told me she needs to do well in her studies so that she can do well in her psle next year. I brought her for her kkh review 2 weeks back. The doc told me she showed great improvement. I asked her what isit in for my girl now as she goes into puberty and soon in sec school and so on. The doctor posed me this question if a frien doesn’t know your girl has autism does she find that she’s different?I told her not really. Cause my colleagues can’t tell she hasn’t autism tho my daughter goes to my office quite often during sch holis. Then doc told me that’s it. You don’t have to share her condition if you don’t want to . Even normal kids will be abit different from each other. And 2nd question I asked the doc. My girl still has certain fears like avoiding certain toilet in her school as it has very strong painting smell and scary pictures in it. Doc reply to me. Isit the only toilet in school?she can go to other toilets right??? the doc makes things so simplified …we can’t change them but we can make things change for them. She told me it’s a matter of going around things. Let’s all work hard for our kids. I am struggling now tho. She’s taking psle next year. Super worried. My ds2 is going p1 next year. He’s super lazy. Sigh. Told him his elder sis does homework wo complaints and he told me oh since she loves doing homework pass mine to her then. :X
-
Hi,
The last week of term 1 already. Friday will be the first PTM. Overall, my boy adapt quite fast. He even got a gift from his teacher as he got most points in the past two month. Teacher use class dojo as rewards system. But there are some issues make me uncomfortable, want to ask some suggestions from expericed parents here. In my boy’s team, got one boy, teacher said he not easy to get along. So his seats changed 3 or 4 times already. He sat beside my boy about 2 or 3 weeks, there are somethings happened. He barrowed pen from my one, my one don’t want. Then he tried to grab, my one hold it, then the color pencil box broken. Another time is space issue, he said let my boy give some space to him, my one not move, then he pulled the chair. Then teacher swop the seat for my son and another girl. Now there are two girls between two of them. Last Thursday, they were doing some activities, draw your friend. My boy draw him, he walked to my boy’s seat, said he don’t like the way my boy draw then erase the picture. Most of the cases teachers saw it and stop him. I asked my boy, why you not tell teacher, he said teacher can saw and can’t shout in classroom. I am wondering is that the boy target him as he is a quiet one? What I supposed to do? I know is not big issues, but happen quite often make me worried. Any experienced parent can advise? -
Niu2009:
Hi,
The last week of term 1 already. Friday will be the first PTM. Overall, my boy adapt quite fast. He even got a gift from his teacher as he got most points in the past two month. Teacher use class dojo as rewards system. But there are some issues make me uncomfortable, want to ask some suggestions from expericed parents here. In my boy's team, got one boy, teacher said he not easy to get along. So his seats changed 3 or 4 times already. He sat beside my boy about 2 or 3 weeks, there are somethings happened. He barrowed pen from my one, my one don't want. Then he tried to grab, my one hold it, then the color pencil box broken. Another time is space issue, he said let my boy give some space to him, my one not move, then he pulled the chair. Then teacher swop the seat for my son and another girl. Now there are two girls between two of them. Last Thursday, they were doing some activities, draw your friend. My boy draw him, he walked to my boy's seat, said he don't like the way my boy draw then erase the picture. Most of the cases teachers saw it and stop him. I asked my boy, why you not tell teacher, he said teacher can saw and can't shout in classroom. I am wondering is that the boy target him as he is a quiet one? What I supposed to do? I know is not big issues, but happen quite often make me worried. Any experienced parent can advise?
Ask teacher to change team. The class has 30 kids. Why must she make him sit with that boy? Since that boy isn't easy to get along with, send him to sit with those that he can get along with. -
Niu2009:
teach your son to \"siam\" or avoid this boy, since this boy is \"difficult to get along with\".Hi,
The last week of term 1 already. Friday will be the first PTM. Overall, my boy adapt quite fast. He even got a gift from his teacher as he got most points in the past two month. Teacher use class dojo as rewards system. But there are some issues make me uncomfortable, want to ask some suggestions from expericed parents here. In my boy's team, got one boy, teacher said he not easy to get along. So his seats changed 3 or 4 times already. He sat beside my boy about 2 or 3 weeks, there are somethings happened. He barrowed pen from my one, my one don't want. Then he tried to grab, my one hold it, then the color pencil box broken. Another time is space issue, he said let my boy give some space to him, my one not move, then he pulled the chair. Then teacher swop the seat for my son and another girl. Now there are two girls between two of them. Last Thursday, they were doing some activities, draw your friend. My boy draw him, he walked to my boy's seat, said he don't like the way my boy draw then erase the picture. Most of the cases teachers saw it and stop him. I asked my boy, why you not tell teacher, he said teacher can saw and can't shout in classroom. I am wondering is that the boy target him as he is a quiet one? What I supposed to do? I know is not big issues, but happen quite often make me worried. Any experienced parent can advise?
Eg
when Tr ask students to \"draw my friend in class\", teach your son to draw some other classmate instead. Amongst all his 30 P1 classmates, of all people, why must your son choose to draw this \"problem kid\" ?
in so doing unknowingly, your son is \"inviting trouble\" to himself, from this boy.
Maybe this \"problem kid\" does not like to see himself drawn, so when he see your son draw him, he not happy, hence walked over to your son's seat in classroom, erased your son's picture of him ... then that's when trouble start to brew, like start to target your son, etc.
Ask your son's Form Tr to let him sit beside a girl class monitress, as class monitress are usually better behaved, or some P1 classmate who are mature for their age
besides just this boy, are there also other classmates that are \"difficult to get along with\", or tend to be naughty, like sometimes you know ... seated inside the classroom, like to balance their chair only on the 2 front legs, thus rocking the chair backward, forthward, up & down, which is very distracting during lessons, esp. to the immediate neighbor classmate sitting right beside him ?
seated on chair, balancing on just 2 front legs, rocking back & forth not only distracting, but also dangerous to the student himself and to the immediate neighbor, in case the kid fall down during chair unbalance, then hit his head on someone else table behind him ?
There are kids like this, also.
The way they sit in class, is a habit (mirror reflection) of how they sit at home.
if got such classmates, remind your son : don't sit beside them.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login