Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • H Offline
      helplessmum3
      last edited by

      lavendery:
      True. There's some stuffs which she could do such as reading story books (but recognizing some words only) and also doing calculations (so far we only taught her simple addition).


      However I think normal kids at 3+ years old will also know how to read story books and do additions, hence I feel she still meet the milestone at least in this area. She's learnt faster with visual aids.

      I'll try to think of her positive points 🙂
      wow, inever teach my son to read or calculation yet..
      how to start?

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • L Offline
        lavendery
        last edited by

        Just read more story books to him or watch more educational DVDs. My girl started reading at 2yrs++ old. Slowly when they are expose to more and more words, their reading literacy will start to kick in.


        For calculations, so far I only teach simple addition to her. Hmm using things to add up. Eg 1 + 1 = 2

        You can use objects (anything) to help let him visualize

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          mashy
          last edited by

          Helplessmum

          If your son is like mine, dun need to really teach. Just read to him daily. My boy picked up reading on his own. We just read to him from when he could sit up. Then he just learned to read by himself. For the more difficult parts of reading, he learned in school. I think also because he couldn’t be bothered to interact with other pp, he spent a lot of his time reading and it really increased his knowledge.

          He is a visual spatial learner so instead of phonics, he learnt by sight. He rather his teachers read the word that he couldn’t and he could remember how to pronounce it after that. Even when he couldn’t pronounce it, he figured out the meaning of the words from the whole sentence I think. I dun really know how he decipher this. He had just memorized tv scripts of a documentary on the formation of solar systems. I think he more or less understood what those astrophysicists were saying. Frankly, I don’t. 😛

          This is so different from my younger one. I have to actually teach her word by word. So like I said, all have their strengths and weaknesses.

          From the IQ test, u should be able to find out his strength. Take advantage of that and use it to help him blossom.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • M Offline
            mashy
            last edited by

            Lavendry

            Wow! 2 yrs old! That's very early! 🙂

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • H Offline
              helplessmum3
              last edited by

              mashy:
              Lavendry

              Wow! 2 yrs old! That's very early! 🙂
              cool right, i never read to my son.. as i hate reading myself..

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • H Offline
                helplessmum3
                last edited by

                lavendery:
                Just read more story books to him or watch more educational DVDs. My girl started reading at 2yrs++ old. Slowly when they are expose to more and more words, their reading literacy will start to kick in.


                For calculations, so far I only teach simple addition to her. Hmm using things to add up. Eg 1 + 1 = 2

                You can use objects (anything) to help let him visualize

                any book for recommendation ? or any dvd?

                jus read or point words to words to him?

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • H Offline
                  helplessmum3
                  last edited by

                  mashy:
                  Helplessmum

                  If your son is like mine, dun need to really teach. Just read to him daily. My boy picked up reading on his own. We just read to him from when he could sit up. Then he just learned to read by himself. For the more difficult parts of reading, he learned in school. I think also because he couldn't be bothered to interact with other pp, he spent a lot of his time reading and it really increased his knowledge.

                  He is a visual spatial learner so instead of phonics, he learnt by sight. He rather his teachers read the word that he couldn't and he could remember how to pronounce it after that. Even when he couldn't pronounce it, he figured out the meaning of the words from the whole sentence I think. I dun really know how he decipher this. He had just memorized tv scripts of a documentary on the formation of solar systems. I think he more or less understood what those astrophysicists were saying. Frankly, I don't. 😛

                  This is so different from my younger one. I have to actually teach her word by word. So like I said, all have their strengths and weaknesses.

                  From the IQ test, u should be able to find out his strength. Take advantage of that and use it to help him blossom.
                  your son is another genius.
                  anybook for my son?

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    mashy
                    last edited by

                    He picked up his alphabets from leapfrog letter word factory. We read a great variety of books. Not just a single book so can’t tell u what books are good.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • H Offline
                      helplessmum3
                      last edited by

                      now i try to recall, in my entire life i only read 2books.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • DesertWindD Offline
                        DesertWind
                        last edited by

                        nugget:
                        Not knowing if every choice we made for our kid is right or not........... Experts and therapists giving their opinions which you feel its untrue and unfair due to the short time they spent with your child.

                        I am facing the same things here, nugget, understand what you are saying. Me too right now have stopped meeting those OTs (KKH OT told me my boy does not need OT and private one I ownself drop due to my boy uncooperative) and if possible don't want to talk \"special needs talk\" if I can help it. So tiring and discouraging to talk to some of the more negative ones or those therapist who work with more severe cases.

                        For some reason I get very annoyed when one of the more \"negative\" therapist asked me how many times my boy have \"meltdowns\"? Or how \"task avoidance\" he is, and how \"clumsy\" he is, and told me parents should not insist on going mainstream, must be open to special needs schools etc.

                        My boy does have speech-delay but I don't think he has any social problems nor do I fully believe his \"label\". But once you are on the \"special needs\" track/circuit, all the standard special-needs talk kicks in. Tandrums=meltdowns, stubborn=strong task-avoidance, like to do whatever he likes=very own agenda. Even to the extent some would suggest some talents which I have not observed for eg. one suggest my boy would be very good at art because \"such kids\" are very visual. But the way I see it, my boy does not really like colouring and he has no patient to produce nice colouring works!

                        To a certain extent in order to follow your own gut-feel, you need to shut out all such noises. Then do your own research to see what you are planning to do is feasible or not.

                        Anyway, I have a lot to learn from all you mummies and thank you very much for being so open to share your experiences!
                        :hugs:

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 82
                        • 83
                        • 84
                        • 85
                        • 86
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 84 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy