tenko:Are you from student care? I don't expect them to guide or coach students. There is a vast difference in the management as compared with previous student care. Be it discipline wise or handling of students.With all due respect to chatelaine, the student care is not a tuition centre. We must be very clear on this fact. It is an house student care, which provides supervision to its students after school. The mentors are not there to provide tuition. They are there to ensure that students do their homework that was given by the school. There are times that students are unable to complete homework on time due to other activities held at the student care. The mentor is not there to teach the subject that your child is doing for their homework.
The current student care has an excellent reputation in Singapore, and is doing an outstanding job at West Spring. There is a long list of parents waiting to enroll their child.
Posts
-
RE: West Spring Primary
-
RE: West Spring Primary
Blissymum:
In my opinion, it's normal practice for parents to pay for food or fruits consumed. The school can't possibly be sponsoring everything and it's already a worthy effort to promote healthy eating for the child's good habit. It happens in other schools as well, and my children are more adventurous to try different types of fruits in school as compared to at home.[/quote]I just want to highlight to parents who weren't aware. To me, twinklinglights sounded like the school sponsored everything and doing advertisement for the school. :evil:
To make it more transparent, I have to clarify that all those fruits money came from parents' pocket. It's not FOC from School ! If I'm not wrong, those fruits money were being deducted from Edusave or whatsoever account, we need to sign a form for it. :evil:chatelaine:
[quote=\"twinklinglights\"]
Frankly,one reason why I decided to choose this school is because of strict discipline and character values taught which I heard so much about.No regrets.
My students in my own school are not as well disciplined and it's just so tiring having to keep chasing them for work and things.
My child is always so excited about the different fruits the school gets each week for children to eat which I myself have not eaten before in my life like blackberries, raspberry and blue berry.Previously, my child used to be very fussy and would not want to eat vegetables and fruit.To my surprise, my child will say that the principal said cannot waste food and must learn to eat different types of fruits which is good for health.I even now find myself eating them.My nieces and nephews also all are envious that their schools don't have all this but I tell them they're staying too far away to come to this school.
So I must say the school is also teaching me as well to be a better parent.
Happy Teachers' Day to everyone at WPS for doing a good job which is not easy.
I know it because I'm a teacher too !
When kids did not submit homework, the teachers didn't bother. They kept quiet for me to find out. When I checked through their composition, teacher simply marked a tick though there were many spelling mistakes. :stupid: -
RE: West Spring Primary
Blissymum:
Yes, indeed the children were being \"shamed\" by asking them to stand on stage. Wondered what's this life teaching purpose?chatelaine:
[quote=\"Jollyjam\"]My gal told me the same thing. A few of her classmates got their photo taken and shamed on stage. If this is the school way of disciplining, its ridiculous !
Initially, kids were shamed because of latecoming. Now, forget to bring books or submit form also kanna.
Why need to instill such fear in kids?! They are only primary school level. This is unnecessary.
Apart from this, kids were barred from classroom if they were late for more than 5mins. DD reached within 5 mins but was asked to stand outside the classroom. Don't understand why they need to change class for almost all the subjects. Wasting of time and classing the students according to their standard.
In real life situations, we're also required to be punctual for work or meetings otherwise there are consequences too. Isn't this a good value to inculcate to the students now so they practice punctuality and respect for others? It will go a long way for them as they're moulded into gracious and responsible teenagers and adults.[/quote]How could they not be late when they need to walk up and down the stairs to change class every other lessons? What's worse, students were being punished even they were not late. When students went back to their \"original\" class to pickup books, etc, before proceeding to the next class, teachers simply ignored their knocking at the door and treated them as transparent. The students had no choice but to pickup after school ends. This eventually lead to their belongings being stolen. Teachers should inculcate honesty in the students. What is it so difficult to acknowledge students at the door? Students will in turn learn to acknowledge their parents in that manner. :faint: -
RE: West Spring Primary
Hyabusha:
I do not recommend the student care inside the school. Discipline wise is a problem and other bad incidents. Homework not completed or taught wrongly.Hi to all,
I am new to this forum. I don't whether this is the correct place to post enquire,my son will be entering West Spring Pri in 2019, may I enquire whether there are any recommendation of student care/ after sch care popular among West spring student? ( I did not manage to enrol into the student within the sch). TIA. -
RE: West Spring Primary
twinklinglights:
To make it more transparent, I have to clarify that all those fruits money came from parents' pocket. It's not FOC from School ! If I'm not wrong, those fruits money were being deducted from Edusave or whatsoever account, we need to sign a form for it. :evil:
Frankly,one reason why I decided to choose this school is because of strict discipline and character values taught which I heard so much about.No regrets.
My students in my own school are not as well disciplined and it's just so tiring having to keep chasing them for work and things.
My child is always so excited about the different fruits the school gets each week for children to eat which I myself have not eaten before in my life like blackberries, raspberry and blue berry.Previously, my child used to be very fussy and would not want to eat vegetables and fruit.To my surprise, my child will say that the principal said cannot waste food and must learn to eat different types of fruits which is good for health.I even now find myself eating them.My nieces and nephews also all are envious that their schools don't have all this but I tell them they're staying too far away to come to this school.
So I must say the school is also teaching me as well to be a better parent.
Happy Teachers' Day to everyone at WPS for doing a good job which is not easy.
I know it because I'm a teacher too !
When kids did not submit homework, the teachers didn't bother. They kept quiet for me to find out. When I checked through their composition, teacher simply marked a tick though there were many spelling mistakes. :stupid: -
RE: West Spring Primary
Jollyjam:
Yes, indeed the children were being \"shamed\" by asking them to stand on stage. Wondered what's this life teaching purpose?My gal told me the same thing. A few of her classmates got their photo taken and shamed on stage. If this is the school way of disciplining, its ridiculous !
Initially, kids were shamed because of latecoming. Now, forget to bring books or submit form also kanna.
Why need to instill such fear in kids?! They are only primary school level. This is unnecessary.
Apart from this, kids were barred from classroom if they were late for more than 5mins. DD reached within 5 mins but was asked to stand outside the classroom. Don't understand why they need to change class for almost all the subjects. Wasting of time and classing the students according to their standard. -
RE: Kids Smart Watch - Pls recommend
Maple leaf:
Hi
Dd says her friends wearing the Doki smart watch to school.i am not sure if it has the functions you mentioned.Only available online.
Thanks! I Google online. -
RE: Kids Smart Watch - Pls recommend
slmkhoo:
Good that your kids has a group of friends to walk to school so that they can watch out for each other. My kids school sometimes has remedial ... so if one kid has remedial and the other kid don't have, they will have to wait for each other in school or probably one can go home first.
My kids walked to school in a group in Pr school, so I didn't bother with the reporting back and forth. It was more when they were out during the weekends etc when I would sometimes allow them more freedom. But they were upper Pr by then. As your kids are younger, and if they are unaccompanied, I guess having some trackable device on them isn't a bad idea as long as the school allows it. -
RE: Kids Smart Watch - Pls recommend
slmkhoo:
Do you mean your kids bring handphone to school? How old were they? Handphone is another alternative which is last in my list.
Agree with this. If the child is old enough to move around without adult supervision, then this kind of monitoring is not really necessary for safety. What I did when my kids were younger was to have them text me when they were leaving a place (eg. school) and to text me again when they reached their destination (if it wasn't where I was). If it's to monitor them because you think they will be going places without telling you - well, that's another issue altogether, and kids can figure out how to disable/lose/switch off such devices. -
RE: Kids Smart Watch - Pls recommend
HYTam86:
Hi
By right is strictly not allowed for exams. In O Levels and A Levels the regulations explicitly states no smart watches. So likely SEAB and schools would have did the same for PSLE and sch based exams.
Anyway my opinion is it don't make much a point to monitor kids so aggressively. I am quite sure u won't want to have a fall out with ur kids when they feel u r interfering too much or to make ur kid become very in-confident. indecisive or overly reliant thinking that their parents will attend to everything in their life. Anyway we grew up without all these tech, there is no reason why our kids cant survive and take care of themselves without us monitoring.
Hope this may help.
Yes, I agree we grew up without all these tech but we do take school bus when we were in primary school. My kids are in P2 & P3 and not taking school bus. I will need to use the smart watch to monitor their route home for at least a year to rest assured they reach home safely without any mishap. They either walk 4 bus stops home or take a bus. Their school has to walk quite a distance to reach a bus stop. It's a SOS smart watch which I can use to communicate with them in case of emergency.
For secondary school students, there's no need to monitor.