Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. comfy
    3. Posts
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 0
    • Posts 600
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: GEP 2013 - Screening & Selection

      AppleCrumble:
      :

      I was still mulling over the decision 'to join or not to join GEP' after the parents' briefing. The day before the deadline for form submission, I threw a question to DD, 'Baby, if you join the GEP, all your future classmates will be very smart. Not like now, you are always the top 10 in your standard. It is also a possibility that you may be last in the GEP class, you know. Do you think you can take being the last in class?'

      DD stared at me in silence for a full 10 seconds before replying, 'Even if I am last in class, I am still in the top 1% of my cohort. I am still very good, right?'
      :heresmyfish:
      Whenever my dd not performing well and lost her confidence , I would then said \"Well, don't worry, dear, the GEP dept selects you, so just try your best. Anyway, the HOD always emphasise that it the PROCESS and not the result, remember\". BUT this only so true till P6 when somehow the teachers sing another tune.( of course with good intention but terrible way of encouragement ).

      posted in GEP
      comfyC
      comfy
    • RE: GEP 2013 - Class Starting P4 in 2014

      Reversi:
      [quote]Your GEP school sounds wonderful, may I know which school is it?

      Just to highlight that the teaching and quality of GEP teachers are different among the 'GEP' schools (referring to the remark in blue). I think this is the same as mainstream schools.
      Hi comfy I'm from a co-ed GEP school please pm me if you need to know which centre it is.[/quote]I have pm you. šŸ˜„

      posted in GEP
      comfyC
      comfy
    • RE: GEP 2013 - Class Starting P4 in 2014

      Reversi:
      Jugglermum:

      I've been reading this thread since yesterday when I found out my DD has been offered a place in the gep. It's been really informative reading your posts so thanks to all. 30-40 girls went for round 2 from my girl's school, 7 were selected of which 6 are from her class.


      Honestly my husband and I are thrown for a loop right now that she's been selected and she says she wants to leave her current sch and go. We're worried about the pressure, workload and if she'll have time to play any more once she's in the programme. She however is super excited so we don't want to rain on her parade and will support her decision.

      Any sharing or thoughts from current gep parents would be most helpful on
      - the reality of what it will be like, workload and hours
      - How parents should help the kids through it.
      - Will the gep kids have to spend every weekend and holidays studying or working on projects?

      Thanks!

      Hi I would like to share some firsthand experience. The first year of GEP is dubbed the 'honey moon year' as teachers are usually more lenient and the workload is lighter since it is the 'transition period'. Surprisingly, Geppers do not have a lot of homework, since GEP focuses more on quality than quantity. While your DD may bring home only a couple of worksheets each day, be prepared that they are of certain depth and test concepts that are beyond P4. With some independent research and time management skills from your DD, homework should not be a problem as teachers are very forthcoming and will definitely explain concepts to your child should she ask.

      The GEP is notoriously famous for dishing out multiple projects that are taxing and time-consuming. These projects are no longer the simple 'book reports' and will require a great deal of time management. The year kick starts with a social studies family tree project, where students have to write a biography and chart their family tree. Thus it is important for students to work conscientiously and not wait until the last minute as the pressure of completing a major project with a looming deadline is unbearable.

      So long as your DD is able to spend time on revision and projects wisely, having free time is not a problem. Most holiday homework can be completed within 2 weeks while the projects should take a little longer than that. However, when the final year examinations swing by, your DD will need self-discipline to study and revise as the exams are of a greater difficulty than P4 standard.

      As a parent, try not to hand hold your child during projects so as to inculcate independence. Perhaps providing some ideas for brainstorming or checking once in a while to ensure she is on track would suffice. Most importantly, bear in mind that grades will drop from the usual high 90s to 70s and this is perfectly normal. Your DD will probably feel discouraged by the drop in grades and feel pressurised at having to compete with peers who are as competent. You can provide encouragement and support by giving her pep talks every once in a while.

      It may seem like a steep learning curve at the start, but I can promise you that at the end of the GEP journey, your DD will have blossomed into an independent, confident and mature young woman. Congratulations at getting into this program, and I wish you all the best in the coming year. šŸ˜„

      Your GEP school sounds wonderful, may I know which school is it?
      Just to highlight that the teaching and quality of GEP teachers are different among the 'GEP' schools (referring to the remark in blue). I think this is the same as mainstream schools.

      posted in GEP
      comfyC
      comfy
    • RE: Thermal pot

      hsm:
      Just sharing..


      Today's Metro preview sale..

      The 7L thermal magic cooker (ENDO) is selling @ $79 for cardmember.
      Offer @ $99 (non member), usual $179.

      7L seems too big..?? :roll:
      Sound big to me. 1L of rice cooker can be used for a family of 5. Maybe can use to cook soup for >10 persons.

      posted in Tuckshop
      comfyC
      comfy
    • RE: DSA 2013

      Jeffrene:
      Hi all, this is my maiden post.


      My DD has received CO from RGS & NYGH under GEP domain.

      Congrats to all who have received good news.

      Hope everyone will get into their preferred schools eventually!
      :rahrah: :rahrah: :rahrah: Congrat! Jeffrene and dd. You must be really excited and happy. Happy for you šŸ•ŗ šŸ•ŗ

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      comfyC
      comfy
    • RE: DSA 2013

      MMM:
      ngl2010:

      I was like \"sshhh... ssshhh... ssshhh...\" all the time :frustrated:


      Hahaha... I experienced it too... Was trying to sshhhh the kids so that I can listen to what PM has to say. My kids were trying to catch \"sleeping\" audience from the tv screen...

      Kekeke.....my dd is the only one watching and commented that adults (audience) also fidgeted not just children. Me, busy surfing the internet :oops:

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      comfyC
      comfy
    • RE: Dunman High School (Junior High)

      smileplease:
      My son is going for DSA interview this Friday.


      May I know if I should prepare him with the interview or just let nature take its course?
      Realise that it is too late to reply, so wish him the best!

      posted in Secondary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      comfyC
      comfy
    • RE: DSA 2013

      comfy:
      Lock:

      Anyone receive news from MGS for interview? Is the selection results out yet?


      Yes, just received a call from MGS for interview (for my dd). Really excited. :imcool:

      Thanks Jtoh, ngl2010, Jennifer and BeContented for the congratulations.
      Congratulate to you too, BeContented. :rahrah:

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      comfyC
      comfy
    • RE: DSA 2013

      Lock:
      Anyone receive news from MGS for interview? Is the selection results out yet?

      Yes, just received a call from MGS for interview (for my dd). Really excited. :imcool:

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      comfyC
      comfy
    • RE: DSA 2013

      25hr mama:
      jtoh:

      25hrmama, for online status, try this:


      Go to User Control Panel at the top of your screen --> Board Pref --> Edit global settings --> Hide my online status --> No

      Hi jtoh, done as per ur instruction, do u see me on line? I still dun see myself on-line. :scratchhead:

      Hope that you don't mind me asking, \"Have you login to your account?\"

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      comfyC
      comfy
    • 1 / 1
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy